State Park Closures AND Reopenings!

Has anybody been to the Rocky Point lot at Hartshorne this week? I'm looking to shoot down there later this afternoon and wonder if it's even worth trying to get parking there.
If you're going to shoot at Hartshorne this week I have the perfect bike for you! See above.....

Has anybody been to the Rocky Point lot at Hartshorne this week? I'm looking to shoot down there later this afternoon and wonder if it's even worth trying to get parking there.

It was open yesterday, but that doesn't mean they won't close it to limit crowds on the weekend.

It was open yesterday, but that doesn't mean they won't close it to limit crowds on the weekend.
I got in today but I was lucky, as I pulled around past the bathrooms a truck pulled out of a spot, as soon as I parked at least a half dozen vehicles came in, half asking me if I was leaving as half the lot was empty but roped off, I felt bad for these people as they drove out without getting a spot.

5/16/2020
SELECT RESTROOMS RE-OPEN in New Jersey’s state parks and forests
Today, the State Park Service will begin phasing in the reopening of our restroom facilities. Please be patient with park staff as there are new cleaning protocols in place. Below is a list of restroom locations that are open this weekend. Additional restrooms will begin opening this week.
Before entering an open restroom, mask up!
The following restrooms are open from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. with the exception of Island Beach State Park’s restroom which is open from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Liberty State Park’s restroom which is open from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Restrooms open by area:
Allaire State Park
- Restroom Location: Main Parking Lot
Brendan T Byrne State Forest
- Restroom Location: Pakim Pond
Cape May Point State Park
- Restroom Location: Visitor Center
Cheesequake State Park
- Restroom Location: Sandpit
- Restroom Location: Lakeside
High Point State Park and New Jersey Veterans' Memorial
- Restroom Location: Beach Parking Lot
Hopatcong State Park
- Restroom Location: Main Parking Lot
Island Beach State Park
- Restroom Location: Swimming Area 1
Jenny Jump State Forest
- Restroom Location: Notch Parking Lot
Kittatinny Valley State Park
- Restroom Location: Lake Aeroflex Parking Lot
Official: Liberty State Park
- Portable Toilets – Lot 8
- Portable Toilets – Lot 4
- Restroom Location: Administration Building – Lot 4
- Restroom Location: Gatehouse (Zapp Drive) – Lot 8
Ringwood State Park
- Restroom Location: Ringwood Manor
- Restroom Location: Skylands Carriage House
Round Valley Recreation Area
- Restroom Location: East Parking Lot
- Restroom Location: West Parking Lot
Stokes State Forest
- Restroom Location: Lake Ocquittunk
- Restroom Location: Park Office
Swartswood State Park
- Restroom Location: Swartswood Beach
Voorhees State Park
- Restroom Location: Main Office
Waterloo Village Historic Site
- Restroom Location: Comfort Station
Wawayanda State Park
Worthington State Forest
-----------------------------------------------------------
Parks without restroom facilities as of (5/16):
-
Barnegat Lighthouse State Park
-
Bass River State Forest
-
Belleplain State Forest
-
Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park
-
Double Trouble State Park
-
Forked River State Marina
-
Fort Mott State Park
- Hacklebarney State Park
-
Leonardo State Marina
- Monmouth Battlefield State Park
-
Twin Lights Historic Site
-
Spruce Run Recreation Area
- Stephens State Park
-
Parvin State Park
- Princeton Battlefield State Park
-
Washington Crossing State Park
-
Wharton State Forest

I guess this is where the rant belongs.
This was the Nassau upper lot at 10:30 as we were leaving. There were a dozen people milling around, cars parked door-banging distance, the works.
This was not the helmetless BSO ©️@jdog crowd, this was not families hiking 5 abreast. This was us. (us, here, MTBers, me since I was there)
Don't know what the solution is but we cannot keep doing this and expect sympathy or favors. Not biking if the lot is full is easy to say, not so much to do...
20200517_102425.jpg

20200517_102131.jpg

[/endRant]

This was the Nassau upper lot at 10:30 as we were leaving. There were a dozen people milling around, cars parked door-banging distance, the works.
This was not the helmetless BSO ©️@jdog crowd, this was not families hiking 5 abreast. This was us. (us, here, MTBers, me since I was there)
Don't know what the solution is but we cannot keep doing this and expect sympathy or favors. Not biking if the lot is full is easy to say, not so much to do...
View attachment 129000
View attachment 129006
[/endRant]
I’ll give you the optics are bad, but if we’re being rational, not a big deal, and far safer than anything you find at the grocery store or Wal-Mart. Yes, a lot of cars, but all of the people are not in the lot at the same time, once they diffuse on the trail they will have very few interactions with other people.

View attachment 129000
View attachment 129006
[/endRant]
I see one guy sitting by himself, what's wrong with that? Had a mechanical and ended the ride early, so he waited for the rest of us. I didn't see anyone else closer than 6 ft.

I see one guy sitting by himself, what's wrong with that? Had a mechanical and ended the ride early, so he waited for the rest of us. I didn't see anyone else closer than 6 ft.
other side, past the car in the middle waiting for me to leave; then on the picnic table...
as @1TrackMind also said may not be as bad as it looks but it looks bad.
I'd rather this not turn into "these guys don;t know how to manage themselves"
as I said, no idea what the solution is.
no knock on anybody (apologies if it sounded like I was). I also pulled into a 80% full parking lot and went biking because I was desperate.
PS: I was wondering how he had the patience to sit that long with 20+ cars going in-n-out past him. now I know.

the park ranger was dealing with the gate at the sourlands this morning @8:00 - by the time we left there (12:15), two officers from the sherrif's department
at the gate, and a ranger and park employee dealing with the parking lot.

I don't think we saw anyone on chunky monkey - but plenty of people up top on red, and the old trail.

Its NJ home of overpopulation, half of these people in these parks would be in malls and movie theaters. Want less then drive to ride but if you want convenience then get in line with the sheep. I am totally seeing people done with this lock down, this includes me.

Chimney Rock was packed at Newmann's lot, but the trails weren't bad. There was one hammerhead group of about 8 riders with zero social distancing or trail etiquette

Highlight was a guy riding an FS bike with his 2-3 year old on a top tube mounted child seat. Hopefully they finished the ride without him killing her.

Sooo...much different experience today at Wayway. Yeah...the lot I usually park in was pretty full. But....honestly...there was no one hanging in the lot, either when I arrived, or when I left. Saw no other bikers, but quite a few hikers. This time though, it was definitely single family/ friend groups, spaced out accordingly, most even wearing masks. Most gave way, getting way off the trail for me to pass, even when I stopped ahead of them, informing them they accually had the right of way. And this around the lake, always the busiest area. I only took this route because of time constraints. Overall...for as much as my opinion matters, I was impressed. Way to go NJ ! Sorry to hear it's not that way everywhere, but things looked much better than the last time, pre-stay at home order, that I was at Waywayanda.

Parking lots are going to be full. And that is ok. This is to be expected. I think most people are completely done with this lockdown. Yet there are people who are still hold up in their homes because some people are still scared. Maybe rightfully so. Sometimes you just need to get out for a bit. Have a little more patience with folks. We have no idea what some may have been dealing with.Just be careful parking on roads. Some areas are looking to ticket. I used to always pick up trash. Now I'm a little hesitant. Might have to start riding with gloves. Stay safe folks.

[/endRant]
I was there and can see my car and my buddies' as well. Looks are deceiving. Everyone maintained social distancing in the lot. The trails were more or less empty, and the few people we came across all practiced social distancing as well.

Went to the West Milford Pumptrack on Sunday and can report that none of the kids were social distancing. Parents on the other hand kept to their small groups of 4-6 people. No one was wearing a mask and if they were, it was off within the first 10 minutes. :thumbsup: I call this weekend a "social experiment."

People are sick and tired of this. Its almost June, its time, you all need to get over it. If they are going to lock things down again in the fall like they've been alluding to, then restrictions need to relax now, otherwise there's no way they will be able to enforce anything come fall.

Back
Top Bottom