Fat bike recommendation

Robson

OK folks, need some input on inexpensive fat bike. Don't want to brake a bank since this will be mostly winter bike. It will need to have front suspension and I don't want to spend more than $1500.
I know I can get one from bikes direct but figured I'm going to ask around first. Thanks for reading.

Those Framed bike prices are insane. Another option is to pickup on of their Aluminum bikes for $1000 then get an extra set of carbon wheels for about $500.

For that $$$, got can pick up an AL Salsa. Mukluk if U wanna cruise, Beargeease if U wanna roll. I love my Mukluk but it's a dump truck on XC trails. BTW I got Framed for my son, they're a lot of bike for the money.

Interesting on the framed. I was going to post the exact same thread before I found this. What's the deal with the carbon frames? Are they extremely fragile, take a beating? I'm used to Pivot's carbon frames. Also size wise, I ride large 27.5 bikes and medium 29ers. Would I suspect a framed 19", I am 5'-11". I was looking for something lighter than the mukluk and have a fork. I was looking at the Farley 5 and then throw a fork, but maybe this is better.

Sorry to jump on to the same thread.

Interesting on the framed. I was going to post the exact same thread before I found this. What's the deal with the carbon frames? Are they extremely fragile, take a beating? I'm used to Pivot's carbon frames. Also size wise, I ride large 27.5 bikes and medium 29ers. Would I suspect a framed 19", I am 5'-11". I was looking for something lighter than the mukluk and have a fork. I was looking at the Farley 5 and then throw a fork, but maybe this is better.

I've been beating on my Carbon Alaskan for a year. Got some good chips and scratches, but has taken some hits without failing.
With 5"x26 tires and carbon nextie rims / tubeless it is around 26.5 lbs, when i threw 3"x29 on there (with al rims) it was just over 24lbs.
this is significantly different than a tubed al muk. i'm running a gx drivetrain/sram tlm brakes/thomson carbon stem+bars/china-carbon seatpost,
so not stock, but things that could be had.

I'm 5'10"+ and the 17" frame is a bit small, probably will replace with 19" when i finally break it.

I've been beating on my Carbon Alaskan for a year. Got some good chips and scratches, but has taken some hits without failing.
With 5"x26 tires and carbon nextie rims / tubeless it is around 26.5 lbs, when i threw 3"x29 on there (with al rims) it was just over 24lbs.
this is significantly different than a tubed al muk. i'm running a gx drivetrain/sram tlm brakes/thomson carbon stem+bars/china-carbon seatpost,
so not stock, but things that could be had.

I'm 5'10"+ and the 17" frame is a bit small, probably will replace with 19" when i finally break it.
You can use 29" wheels on this? Interesting....I see the stock tires are 3.8 inch. Can you fit wider rubber?

I have a Farley 9 which would be similar to the 5 with a suspension fork. It has been fantastic and I beat the crap out of it. I do like the 3.8 tires better than the wider ones given that I've taken to riding it outside winter more and more. A lot of people don't bother with the fork on a fat bike it seems. I think its fantastic to have the front suspension fork. I originally got the fork to keep from loosing fillings in my teeth riding over frozen foot prints. With the fork I find myself riding it mostly in non winter rocky trail conditions and loving it. For reference I'm 5' 8" and went with the 17.5 frame which I think is there M now (but tried the 19.5 frame and it was just a little big). I was right on the edge.

With that said, that Framed bike looks like a hell of a deal. If I didn't already have my Farley, seeing that deal might have been a problem.

Last edited:
You can use 29" wheels on this? Interesting....I see the stock tires are 3.8 inch. Can you fit wider rubber?

^^ what @Leftymuk said - i'm currently running jumbo jims (4.8") and when i'm not feeling so lazy, i'll swap out to the barbengazi (4.8")
The rims are 90mm internal - didn't look at the stock rims.

i like the lower feel of the bike with the 26" wheels compared to the 29+ - if i was racing in a fatbike class, i'd go 29+.
haven't tried 27.5, but have run 4.0x26 - still lots of fun.

Last edited:
find a fat bike with NEW XO1 eagle ,next R crank ,Level TLM brakes and I9 hubbed wheels with a high end cockpit and pedals for under 1300.00......good luck

Back
Top Bottom