How do you dry out your water packs?

Mongoose Rider

Just curious if anyone has any ingenious way to dry out their water bags between uses? Mine usually hangs upside down for four days or so with the relatively frequent shaking.... Just about the time it has dried I am filling it back up to use it again...

Any suggestions?

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Dry 'em out with paper towels then hang them so the bladder remains open for air circulation. Putting it on a wooden, free-standing paper towel holder with the post inside the bladder works well.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Just curious if anyone has any ingenious way to dry out their water bags between uses? Mine usually hangs upside down for four days or so with the relatively frequent shaking.... Just about the time it has dried I am filling it back up to use it again...

Any suggestions?

Dry???????? rinse & --> ;)

sundanzer.jpg

Kmoodymz3

To dry it I just use paper towels, it helps to have a bladder you can get your hand into.

In the winter I do the "hang it on a stick" thing to dry it out, however, in the summer I store mine in the refridgerator once cleaned and it really helps to keep the bugs from growing. I do a really through cleaning every 10 rides or so, using a couple Ts baking soda and hot water. I use nutrition in my bladders on a weekly basis so cleaning is important as well ask getting them to dry out.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
+1 for freezing it kills what ails you and if after you rinse it out well put a little water in it and freeze.I have had ice in mine that lasted almost a complete ride..

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i never wash it... i just freeze it after dumping out the water from the ride. when it gets gross - pop in some polident.

PedalPaddles

Roll a wire hanger into a giant corkscrew shape, leaving the original hook. Make sure to roll up the very end to avoid a sharp puncture point. You can widen and stretch the shape to hold open the bladder. Screw it in the opening and hang to dry. It also helps to shove a washcloth in there to soak up the water before hanging. Freezing works too. You can even leave some water in it to create a giant ice cube for the next ride.

pinkshirtphotos

i rinse water in it. to dry it i take a dish towel and roll it up so it is the length of the bladder. i put the towel in the bladder then put the cap on. i then blow up the bladder like a balloon and shake it till its dry.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
word, reuse the water from ur last ride.

as long as you don't put stuff that isn't water into it, you shouldn't have a problem.

gtluke

The Moped
I say just leave the water in. Penicillin is good for what ails you. ;)

if you're on city water there is enough chlorine in there that a simple rinse before use will take care of it. as long as its not green :)

see the real trick is to just use it every day :D

Mongoose Rider

Thanks for the tips... Thefreezing tip seems like a good one. But with my luck there will be some residual water in the tubing and crack it... I will just have to be careful.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Drain it, hang it, forget

I just dump mine out and hang it upside down with it open. Its usually still wet inside when I go to use it again (typically ride once or twice a week). Course, I only put water in mine, and I like the taste of mildew (joke).

Never had any problems with hydration pack sea monkeys.

D

DANSPANK

I'd suggest rinsing and draining the tube then fill the bladder up a bit, bloe down the tube to clear it (no cracking), then stand it up in your freezer with the top unscrewed so that this doesn't freeze closed either.

Top Bottom