Wawayanda Down Trees - Intel? Crowd Sourcing Your Observations...

chris12453

I rode Wayway today. At the end of Hofferlin coming from Banker, there are several trees down just before the road near the ranger station. There are also a few trees down on Double Pond near the entrance to hofferlin from County Road/Banker. Other than double pond still having snow and water a the streams, the park is incredibly dry.

Kaleidopete

Is that first pic between cherry ridge and cedar swamp? I rode banker the other night from Plymouth and only saw the second pic tree otherwise it was clear from Plymouth to cedar swamp
Yes it is, there are two spots between Cherry Ridge and Cedar Swamp with trees down.,

Kaleidopete

This is from someone else's observations, not mine.

Lots of trees down between Nature Jim's Bridge and Cherry Ridge

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode today. We did as much cleanup as we could without tools. Rolled a few medium sized pines and tucked away little trees and branches on all the trails we rode. There are two large trees down on the wood bridge in Mojo requiring saws. Also I don’t know all the trail names but as you come out of Splitrock and cross the powerlines the trail that is usually a rock bridge is basically impassable requiring saws. I can post our garmin file but there were trees down on pretty much everything we rode except Wall (thanks!).

huffster

Today, I started at the Park Office and went south on Wm Hofferlin. Believe it or not there is still a pile of snow making entering the trail a PITA. There was a tree right off the bat, but I managed to cut it enough that you can ride under what is remaining. About 1/4 mile in there was another snarl of pines. I cut the smaller ones and all the branches. So, 2 cuts with a chainsaw and that will be good. There is a "go-around" starting to develop. In fact, when I returned I used it. So, technically that section can be ridden now. I continued on Hof to Double Pond. It was mostly clear with only a few things to clean up. Someone must have got to that already - there were signs of cuts.

I'm pretty sure its been reported, but that there is a sizable tree across Double Pond about 1/2 way between Hof and Plymouth. Definitely needs a chainsaw. Its low enough to lift your bike and climb over. There was a bunch of cut rhododendron in that area that was probably stuck in the snow previously. I cleared it.

Plymouth - There was a lot of stuff encroaching on the trail in the rhododendron tunnels. Also, there are lots of branches on the trail. I got about 1/2 mile in from DP. It felt like further, but that's what Strava says. So, that section is good to go, but there is probably another 1/2 mile left to the other end yet to be cleared/trimmed. Nothing needing a chainsaw...yet.

Kaleidopete

I rode Old Coal Trail this afternoon and made adjustments to five trees across the trail.
As of now it is toatlly rideable and all clear of blowdowns and brush. I didn't make some
wide enough for quads, but bikes will have no problem riding. The usual Old Coal wet
spots are still a challenge though. Here are just 2 photos, I was tired of taking all 5 photos.

Old coals09.jpg
Old coals08.jpg

onetracker

Thank you! Kaleidopete please keep track of your TM hours and send them to me and I will submit them as paydirt hours for you if you would like!

Will

near the end of splitrock after the gas line but before the double track that goes back to ferber circle, there is a large pine down, may have been cleared but was there last weekend

huffster

From this afternoon's ride...
  • Pic 1: across new wood bridge Mojo Swamp
  • Pic 2: on Pickle less than 2/10 mile from Turkey Ridge
  • Pic 3: on Pickle even closer to Turkey Ridge
  • Pic 4: on Tombstone 1/4 mile off Turkey Ridge
  • Pic 5: at the Cherry ridge end of Red dot. You can see another in the distance. I heard this stretch of Red dot is a mess, but did not go on that trail today
This is the Strava link from the ride. Everything else is in pretty darn good shape. The dirt road stretch of Old Coal on this ride is a bit of an obstacle course with dead-fall on either side. But, I moved some stuff so as long as you pay attention, its easily passable.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1533582516

5298928C-66C8-4A8C-99A4-29E213C9D508.jpeg

C5F25873-BC91-483E-BCE9-E61C466EFC84.jpeg

D5827DBE-56D8-496B-A152-E07696402FE8.jpeg

6116D20F-9BE5-4B76-8ABB-A66429600407.jpeg

70474563-3D91-426E-B507-FC6C53AE124C.jpeg

Last edited:

huffster

Are you sure pic 4 is Tombstone? I was through there on Tuesday night and it was clear.
100% sure it was on Tombstone (on Thursday ~2:30P). Its about head high and I cut off all the branches wanting to poke you in the eye. You can probably ride right under it. Wonder if @xc62701 didn't notice it because of that.

xc62701

100% sure it was on Tombstone (on Thursday ~2:30P). Its about head high and I cut off all the branches wanting to poke you in the eye. You can probably ride right under it. Wonder if @xc62701 didn't notice it because of that.
Maybe? If it was there it didn't slow me down at all.

Will

suspended log bridge with chicken wire on it on splitrock near the buddha side is out of commission. was there today, not sure how to fix it. wouldn't try to cross it in meantime.

Kaleidopete

I was on Old Coal today and saw the White Dot is blocked, Towards Lookout lake
there is another nameless trail nearby that goes the same way,
it too is blocked.
Oldcoal off02.jpg
Oldcoal off01.jpg

Image1.jpg

onetracker

We definitely have more TM work to do at the park. We prioritized the trails used in the race for obvious reasons but we will be out to clean up the rest of the trails. The park was really hammered by all of the storms so it may take some time before the park is totally clear of blow downs. But that is our goal!

We really appreciate all of your efforts with hand saws!!

Kaleidopete

We definitely have more TM work to do at the park. We prioritized the trails used in the race for obvious reasons but we will be out to clean up the rest of the trails. The park was really hammered by all of the storms so it may take some time before the park is totally clear of blow downs. But that is our goal!

We really appreciate all of your efforts with hand saws!!
I ain't complaining, just letting you know what I see so you can make notes if you want.

onetracker

I ain't complaining, just letting you know what I see so you can make notes if you want.
No complaints observed; some folks at the IF50K/25K were asking about some of the trails that still have some blockages. Just providing an update :) Keep the info coming!

xc62701

After doing the race - now I know the tree you are talking about. As it is there is no worry unless you are 7' tall.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions