The Toughest Road Climbs in NJ

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The top of Fiddlers is nuts. Thats the only climb I had to dismount and walk at the top.

Hillier then Thou had Iron Bridge after it, that one didn't seem so bad. I was numb to the pain by then.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did iron bridge during the holidays on my cx bike with heavy ass back up wheels.
Ugh. It never ends.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Breakneck is way harder than hillzilla. Not sure how it compares to fiddlers/iron bridge, but its paved the entire way, so I imagine its easier.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have yet to try Iron Bridge or Fiddlers Elbow but I have found this climb out of Bloomsbury to be one of the most painful climbs I have encountered in the area. I wish the segment started AFTER the one way bridge with the light though. I always catch the red light, as I'm sure everyone does.

Schaff Rd Climb (579)
http://app.strava.com/segments/693105

622 ft in 1.3 miles. There's a hairpin turn where the climb pitches up even more. Ouchy!

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have yet to try Iron Bridge or Fiddlers Elbow but I have found this climb out of Bloomsbury to be one of the most painful climbs I have encountered in the area.
Schaff Rd Climb (579)
http://app.strava.com/segments/693105

622 ft in 1.3 miles. There's a hairpin turn where the climb pitches up even more. Ouchy!

Ha.
Capers that climb was sandwiched in between Fiddlers and Iron Bridge, Schaff Rd climb is forgettable compared to Fiddlers an IB.

Looking back at this ride it was pretty damn epic. This is something you have to experience.

Hillier than Thou

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm pretty sure BB won HTT at least once. I need to make a special trip out to do some of those climbs soon.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I'm pretty sure BB won HTT at least once. I need to make a special trip out to do some of those climbs soon.

This is true. Billy is a monster. He's also won Mt. Mitchell, High Point, Mt. Washington and lord only knows what else, he goes uphill quickly. Thankfully he turns off our tuesday shop ride before we go up Liberty Corner :eek:

-Jim.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My A

Millbrook
Coleman
Fidlers
Iron Bridges
Zellers

My B

Jenny Jump
Quimby
Danville
Ryan
Lake Justit

thats our local shit but you got to throw mnt pleasant in not long but prolly steepest wall of them all

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah Matt I would agree. I use to live off Benton Rd and had to hit that a lot. What about Gaisler?

You mean Mohican which is the road I grew up on and of course most of my friends lived up top on Gaisler. Blairstown/Stillwater being at the valley of the AT trail has some real hidden gems. The original Fiddlers in stillwater is closed now but still rideable is prolly the biggest/steepest in the area.

ebarker9

Just a note to anyone interested in riding Middle Valley Rd/Zellers...the bridge at the bottom is currently under repair and, as far as I could tell, not open. Still got in N 4 Bridges and Black River Rd, which ended up being plenty.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just a note to anyone interested in riding Middle Valley Rd/Zellers...the bridge at the bottom is currently under repair and, as far as I could tell, not open. Still got in N 4 Bridges and Black River Rd, which ended up being plenty.

You can jump on the Columbia trail from west mill and take it to middle valley. It's only a half mile or so. This gets you beyond the bridge and at the base of the climb... No excuses!!! :)

Last edited:

ebarker9

Finally got a chance to sample some of the really horrendous NJ climbs on Friday. Ride included Iron Bridge, Coleman, and (of course) Fiddler's. I'm not (too) ashamed to say that I walked about 50' of Fiddler's at the top. It's definitely in another league to anything else I've done and I'll be heading back for sure to conquer it at some point (though that KOM is going to be WAY out of reach).

ebarker9

Doesn't Fiddlers get progressively less steep at the top?

Yeah, at the very top. I gave up on the steep pitch before it levels off. My recollection was that, from the bottom, it's quite steep for a while, levels off momentarily, pitches up a ridiculous amount, and then levels off quickly at the end. I know that this isn't 100% accurate, but this would be the section where I died:

http://app.strava.com/activities/52139552#936399892

Top Bottom