Seattle

im headed out to seattle on saturday, and next sunday ill be spending the day in the city...ill have to see if i can rent a bike and hit up the bike park...did you rent your bike? where from?

im headed out to seattle on saturday, and next sunday ill be spending the day in the city...ill have to see if i can rent a bike and hit up the bike park...did you rent your bike? where from?

I rented from Montlake Bike Shop, which is a mile or two from Colonnade. Between 50 AND 100 for 24 hours, but that have decent bikes and a couple to pic from, at least in a medium, anyways.

Colonnade:
At a bike store, I rent a reign over an Ibis frame, only because the reign is $20 cheaper. So i ride the couple of miles over to colonnade. Riding the reign feels totally stoopid and the headtube angle on that thing felt like a chopper to me. In hindsite, I probably should have rented the Ibis. Also, they chopped the seatpost and I was riding well below where I would like, but it is my fault for not realizing this. On top of that, they have the stock bulldog tires, which I had on my trance for 2 rides after I realized they are one of the worst tires ever made. On top of that, after riding a steel hardtail for awhile, the FS feels like a damn noodle. I look at the trail map and realize it means nothing since I don't know where I am. I start on the XC trails, which are basically just switchback after switchback and very, very tight ones at that. They make it so you can't really carry any speed at all. The areas between the sb's have a variety of different lines that include some small rocks and some skinnies and skinny lines that go all over. There are also a few lines which people made down the hill.

I moved on from here and hit some log rides and skinny lines that are fun, but pretty easy and 6" to 24" off the ground. There are a ton of these throughout the park and some looked pretty damn challeging but I was not really interested. Did slip off a skinny log and bent the big ring. Who the hell rides a 42 on a reign anyways??? Rode th hump track, which is fun, but most of the rollers are badly in need of some shaping due to dry conditions, however still fun and ridable. After this I hit the "rock garden", which is like childs play next to the sourlands, especially on the f-ing sled i was riding. So after f'ing around on all the little stuff for awhile, i started to check the bigger stuff.

There are a bunch of lines with jumps, drops and rollers with really steep backsides. Alot of the lips and berms are built from the concrete X pavers because the dirt is too dry to maintain anything. The picture labelled "serious berms" is a berm line and those berms are steep. Steep enough that you aren't getting around them with out committing to them. No suprise that the bulldogs slide right off of these things, but I was not fully commited. Some of the lines are really steep, especially the one that is right under the bridge with the wooden turn that make a left. There are the progressive drops, which I did all of the smaller ones but passed on the bigger ones. There are also some skinnies to drops too. There is a trials area with some good stuff also.

Overall, one of the biggest things I noticed is how dry it is under the bridge. The difference between the part of the hump track that is under the bridge and the part that is out, is dramatic. The exposed rollers and berm are in far better shape and much smoother. The rollers underneth and are completely torn apart. Anytime you are on dirt, the dust is easily 1/2" deep, probably deeper and with the bulldogs, I didn't have a chance for traction. Think of 6 mile at the dry-est you have ever seen it and then had another couple layers of dust. The dirt is light and almost sandy. The dryness has to be a major factor in keeping this place in good condition.

Overall this place is great. I am not even going to act like I rode most of the stuff as i had no confidence in the tires I was rolling and I never ride this kind of stuff any more. Anyways, Pretty cool that you can get this apporved and maintained. I would love to see the locals rip the bigger lines too. If you are in the area, check it out.

Last edited:
Seattle on the road

I-90 Bridge over lake Washington.
4727858146_091c49e331.jpg

I-90 Bike Tunnel: Incredible
4726035665_1bf6a28af1.jpg

Sample of Artwork in Tunnel
4726014087_a0121cdfeb.jpg

I-90 Bike Lane on Bridge
4726682620_b1ffc66cda.jpg

I-90 Trailway: Striping and Signage
4727855426_f3f5f19d0d.jpg

What would pictures of Seattle be without a boat: I-90
4726681182_38f04b0c20.jpg

Steal Ben's Idea's, Most are Good...
4727211815_624c6a1865.jpg

Mt Rainer from Mercer Island
4727211445_b3eb7f8e30.jpg

More Rainer
4726681590_cbe3b21e85.jpg

Mercer Island Goodness. New Shoulders smoother than lane
4726684158_c8a408fc62.jpg

Downtown Seattle from Mercer Island
4726033469_6bb506737c.jpg

Bike Lanes inside parking
4726683728_f253e410ff.jpg

These are everywhere in Seattle
4726662680_9e910ec1b1.jpg

As are these: Helmet version...Hipster Warning...NON-hipster area Ahead.
4726661348_ef3b164186.jpg

Approaching L'Alpe de Issaquah and Hottie Zoo
4726032087_6446ecbddf.jpg

Middle-Age Hotties Zoo
4726035125_99a31caac5.jpg

L'Alpe de Issaquah
4726682084_5d5bcf928d.jpg

Approaching Top of Cougar Mtn
4726662070_7c9456cd91.jpg

Monday:After Colonnade
Ride back to the bike store and unintentionally climb a nice road with switchbacks on the reign. I am not sure how I made a wrong turn, but I did. Get passed by a roadie, which is the fit rider I see that is wearing spandex. Note, but this time I have seen like 2000 riders.

Switch to a Airbourne Titanium Frame with Full 105 and Bontrager Wheels. Feels pretty light considering the entry level components. Take some measurements for my seat height, ask them to switch out a high rise stem and get some advice on routes and I am on my way. Right off the bat go the wrong direction and realize after entering Microsoft land IE..University of Washington. Gte going back the right way and hit the second half of the climb I did on the reign. Feels much better with skinny tires. Approaching downtown I am totally screwed up with directions and ride around and eventually ask someone which way to my hotel. Get back on track and go right to the hotel and to my room. I could have ridden more this day, but I wanted to be fresh foor Tuesday, which I was since I had took Sat and Sun off and Colonnade wasn't exactly torture on the legs.

Tuesday
Wake up at 5 with no problem and it is light enough to ride. Outside the city is dead with only a few people around. I make my way to the I-90 trailway, which is my link to the climbs I wanted to ride. Right away I am climbing steep as roads with 200' elevation changes. I get to the place of the tunnel and follow the signs the wrong way as I am turned all around. I loose one of my maps and I also fall after getting stuck in a n exp[ansion joint and like a f'ing clown, my cleat slips on the concrete and I just sit down, in the middle of the road, mind you. So I am frustrated. After a bunch of scrambling, I finally ask someone and he gets me set. After I realize what I did, I felt really stupid as it could not have been more clear. So anyways, first time through the tunnel. This tunnel uses similar lighting and ventalation system as the Route 29 tunnel in Trenton. The lighting system works tghe same to and automatically adjusts based on light conditions outside the tunnel. Amazing stuff. Cruise through and approach the I-90 bridge over Lake Washington. You really have to pay attention here because riders are coming towards to at almost all times. Once or twice I was wondering a bit from my side and got seriously bad looks from on coming riders. Also, since there are so many riders, about 1 out of 100 riders will even look in your direction. These rider range from earthly folks to roadies, however the earthly folks out number the roadies by at least 100 to 1. Also, it is 58 and cloudy on this day and people are dressed for temps much lower. I see gore jackets and lots of rain coats.

Anyways, continue on the trail, which is down right amazing compared to what we have anywhere on the eastcoast. Striping, signage, roadway grade pavement and concrete, it is all hear. If youare a planner, this shit is your dream. So I keep following and get off close to where the Zoo climb starts. Climb alittle bit to getg there, again, gaining more elevation than all of the climbs in the Mercer and Lower Hunterdon Area, and eventually after a nice little downhill, reach what the one website refers to as L'Alpe De Issaquah or the Zoo Climb. Somehwere in the range of an 8.8 average grad, with max 22. The first section of the climb is consistenly steep and has a bunch of tight switch backs. I feel really good and don't get out of the saddle once and keep a good cadance. Eventually it levels out for maybe .1 mile and makes a hard right, This road is for the most part staright but has stair step climbs, each gaining maybe 100' at a time, it beat me the f up. So after like 10 of those rollers, I get to the final road, make a left with thrown a steep grade and some switchbacks right away and eventually relaxes a bit. The turns to dirt and goes downhill, so I decide to turn as I know it deadends shortly ahead. Right away I turn on another newer road that birngs me up make another 50' and the summit of the MTN which ends at radio towers.

I take some pictures on the way down and cruise down the other side. If I had my own bike, I would have donw faster but the road descends for quite awhile and spits me out right at I-90 again. I take the trail back and make my way back to the hotel. Legs feel good at this point and i get ready and go to my conference.....

GPS is crazy today

Tuesday Morning

Last edited:
Nice work Kevin.

I can tell by reading this that you are super stoked.

Tuesday
I planned to be in this conference from 8:30 to 6:30 this day, however, the afternoon session were real snoozers and I bailed and took a nap fro about an hour between 2 and 3. After that I take a walk to Pikes Place is a large market and get a pumpkin cookie the size of my head and some falafel. Somewhat refreshed I attend some good sessions and did get out until after 7 as I was taking to some potential business partners. It is an absolute stellar day out and I can't wait to take another ride.

Ride the road at 7:40, which is plently of time considering sunset itsnt until 9:15. I head out the same way as the morning and my legs still feel good. The hills in the beginning of the ride are murder though. My aim was to ride Mercer Island, which I rode over on my way to Cougar land in the morning. One of the guys at the shop told me to right it clockwise because "the hills really kill you the other way". So ride it in that direction. If you look at the Garmin data, the Eastern side of the island has prestine shoulders (shoulders are in better condition than the lane) and is really twisty and fun. You pretty much are always turning for a couple of miles and I was completely enjoying it. While there low grade hills, non gain more that 150 elevation and you can really cruise. Most of the time you can see the lakes through the trees and every once and awhile you get these awesome views of either Rainier or Downtown Seattle. There was alittle bit of a longer climb approaching I-90, but nothing compared to what I rode in the morning. I was surpised that my legs really much left. I am not sure what my average on the island, but it had to be in the 20's. 11 miles of no stop signs, lights or major intersections. I bet if you rode this on the weekend, you would see 100's of riders.
Coming back across the bridge, I had a nasty headwind and it was killing me. The hills back in downtown weren't so fun either but I managed. Got back to the room, showered and went to bed by 10.

mercer island ride: 11 miles of twisty roads with no stop signs or lights

So two rides today, 2.5 hours in the morning, 1.5 in the evening, 5,000' climbing over 60 miles.

Wednesday
Again, up around 5 but maybe alittle more sluggish compared to Tuesday. Head out in the same direction and my aim is the same area and climb as Tuesday. I thought about climbing the other side but I didn't really feel that great descending in the bike I had and didn't think I was up for bombing the switchbacks. So over the bridges again goin towrds the base of the Cougar Mtn climb. I have had about enough of the bike path by now and hit some roads on Mercer Island on the way out and back. I decide to climb some of the other roads right before the Zoo climb and overall it is a couple of miles, but don't gain that much elevation but the lower grade put the hurt into my legs. The downhill is awesome and if I was more comfortable, MPH in the 50's would be well within possibility. By the time I get to the zoo climb, I am pretty spent but churn up the switchbacks and stand a bunch of times as my quads are burning like crazy. This bike has a triple, but I'll be damned if I use that little ring. I am bottomed out in the middle ring though. I am certianly hurting more than yesteday and the stair steps really killed me. I opted out of the road to the summit, which apprently adds another 300' based on the garmin data. The downhill on the other side is a blast and I it feels really good to descend for 5 miles. Legs are mush now. Coming back across the longer bridge, I am hurting. The weather was incredible this morning, clear and right around 60.

cougar take 2

I had to check out of my hotel in the afternoon, so to not complicate things later, I return the bike at lunch time. To get into the urban spirit, I ditched the helmet and just wore a cycling cap. After some cobblestone streets and a 35 mph downhill, I am happy to report you can ride a bike helmetless and actually survive. Take the bus back to the hotel and a tranny with the looks of a serious herion problem sits across from me. Man, those he/she's in the chick's with dicks movies sure look better than this dude. I throwup in my mouth alittle bit watching the guy put makeup on. :puke:

So here are the numbers for the Zoo climb after two days:

to the summit, 2.67 miles, 1284' elevation gain, 9.1% average grade.
without summit road, 2.22 miles, 1032', 8.8% average grade.
The switchback section averaged over both days: 0.8 mile, 500', 11.9% grade.

I would try to compare this to something I normal ride, but nothing comes close. It would be the same of climbing Eagle Road 3-4 times in Length and 3.5 times the elevation. So guess Kush would only have repeat this 2 or 3 times to make it meaningful :rolleyes:.

final shots....

pave': After riding real cobbles stone and ones in really good condition, I have a new respect for Paris-Roubaix
4732501601_1796b7ac3a.jpg

The shop I rented from. Appears to be a good shop. Some of the workers weren' so great, but some were.
4733145434_ce466674ef.jpg

OBEY Rainier: This peak is amazing.
4733145710_b7efd59256.jpg

General Observations
In the downtown area, 99% of people will not cross the road unless the white man signal is showing. I crossed a bunch of time watching the people on the other side. A couple of the first row of people would start to walk, look at the sign and see a red hand, look at each other and take a step back onto the curb. The majoirty of cyclist stop at lights too. I didn't see any blow red lights full on.

Cars actually yield to you. As long as you are near the shoulder, you pretty much own the road.

Seal Line and Ortlieb roll top bags and paneers rule out there. Chrome is a very, very distant 3rd.

The 2 bikes store I went in each stocked more fenders than all the bike store combined in NJ.

Fixed and SS is limited. Even the hipsters ride gears. However, I am sure the fixie hipsters make fun of them. There were a few, but they were the minority.

I saw some guy on a long board bombing the hills, in traffic at rush hour. Badass.

I kept reading this all week, waiting for the Pacific Northwest singletrack gnar gnar. ;-)

Good stuff Kev.

Back
Top Bottom