Any Adventure Racers Here?

Did my first one cushion peak had a blast,my buddies talked me into it and probably will do one or two more this yr.

hell yeah!

done 2 this year already, next month is the longest day with NYARA in New Paltz. cant wait for that one!

hell yeah!

done 2 this year already, next month is the longest day with NYARA in New Paltz. cant wait for that one!

Hey AXCXNJ, I'll see you at the Longest Day. Gotta love that midnight start. What's your team name? I'm racing as team Pack Monkey this year. And what ARs did you already do? My first for 2010 is the GOALS Savage Sprint tomorrow in PA somewhere.

I haven't done any but am very interested to dive in. Can somebody post a list of races in our region with notes about whether they are tailored toward the beginner/intermediate/or advanced racer? Thanks.

jwave, check out this race at wawayanda

http://www.nyara.org/nyara_races/2010/mn_may_day.php

its a sprint race (6hrs or less) and is aimed towards people getting into the sport. NYARA puts on a good race too.

Malibu -

this year i did the frigid infliction 9 hr race in VT...i learned how to XC ski just for that race..it was awesome,

and last month i did the fools rogaine at bear mountain. it was my first rogaine, and was pretty cool.

Im really looking forward to the longest day. the rappell should be alot of fun, and id much rather canoe than use those damn sit on top kayaks.

our team name is "gears are still for pansies" last year we were "gears are for pansies" (we were all riding SS bikes) so this year will be a fun return of that name.

Let's say that someone was interested in starting an adventure race in Monmouth County... what would you like to see? Assume that nearly any public lands/park within the couty could be feasable. Where whould you like to see a race take place and what activities would you have. Keep in mind Sandy Hook/Raritan Bays, Navesink, Shrewsbury, Shark River for paddling. Hartshorne, Shark River park, Allaire, for mountain biking. All the surrounding county/state parks for running/adventuring. I am not an advenutre racer myself and have never been to one but, I may be interested in to checking out the scene and starting up a local race.

Twiggy, get in touch with NYARA. they have a little info on their site for people who want to plan/run an adventure race. prettymuch if you plan it, and they like the course they will help run the race...pretty sweet deal..ive actually been thinking about trying to setup a cool course.

i think that paddling in the ocean would be awesome. definetly a big difference from boring ass flatwater.

we should talk, this could be fun

Full Circle

Funny to read this here. I actually did military obstacle courses and triathons before I did AR. I needed to get better at mountain biking,..so I practiced by going to the H2H races,...now all I do is race bikes,... stopped doing the AR thing. NYARA is a great group though. Go play,..

AR got me into mountain biking and ive done a few MTB races, along with CX. but i enjoy the AR races more. I feel like when you are doing an AR race, there are so many factors that you ahve to keep in mind and try and control, where as mtb racing there is far less to worry about...adventure racing makes me feel more badass too :getsome::D

jwave, check out this race at wawayanda

http://www.nyara.org/nyara_races/2010/mn_may_day.php

its a sprint race (6hrs or less) and is aimed towards people getting into the sport. NYARA puts on a good race too.

Malibu -

this year i did the frigid infliction 9 hr race in VT...i learned how to XC ski just for that race..it was awesome,

and last month i did the fools rogaine at bear mountain. it was my first rogaine, and was pretty cool.

Im really looking forward to the longest day. the rappell should be alot of fun, and id much rather canoe than use those damn sit on top kayaks.

our team name is "gears are still for pansies" last year we were "gears are for pansies" (we were all riding SS bikes) so this year will be a fun return of that name.

axcxnj - I remember you guys from The Longest Day last year. We ran in to you at the bike CP on top of that waterfall. I think my teammate chatted with one of you 3 guys while I climbed the waterfall to punch the CP. Very funny. Will be good to see you again this year.

Twiggy96 - Yes, definitely get in touch with NYARA.org. I am friendly with the person that runs NYARA and she is very cool. If you would like to chat with her, PM me with your contact info and I'll set introduce you to her. I'm sure she would be happy to hear your ideas. If you want to check out the scene, look at NYARA's calendar here http://www.nyara.org/nyara_races/eventsdb.php and pick one of the events highlighted in green. Show up at an event and have a look around. I'll be at all of the events so if you let me know you are coming I can introduce you to the players.

An adventure race in your area would be great. Hartshorn and Huber Woods are great parks and as axcxnj said an ocean/salt water paddle would be a awesome. I can envision a race that spans both parks on foot/mtb with a paddle in the Navesink.

axcxnj - I remember you guys from The Longest Day last year. We ran in to you at the bike CP on top of that waterfall. I think my teammate chatted with one of you 3 guys while I climbed the waterfall to punch the CP. Very funny. Will be good to see you again this year.

awesome!

yeah it seems that our team really stood out last year by being the only people on SS bikes..it was rough with all the road miles..but fun.

the waterfall was a cool checkpoint I had gone up, along with my brother, so your team mate was probably chatting with our 3rd guy. we made a mistake on the bike path along the highway and blew past the crossing...so we ended up crossing the highway a few miles down and going the wrong way on an on ramp lol...gotta love adventure racing!

how about that nightime bushwack...ugh!

Thanks for the input guys! I will definitely check out NYARA
Malibu you read my mind. Huber/Hartshorne would be prefect. I'll keep you in mind as I start the process, not sure when that will be, depends on motivation. I'll have to do some trial runs myself.

I haven't actually been to any races but have heard a lot about them and would like to get into the scene. On a smaller local course what kind of aspects are there. Obviously canoe,kayak,rappel, run, bike. But, is there anything else I'm missing? Do most/all courses have an orienteering element?

for the sprint races, there usually is not a ropes element. they are mostly run, bike, kayak. every race is orienteering. you are given a topo map with the checkpoints marked, and its your job to find them in whatever fashion the rules of that race provide. some are just "get them all" or some races assign point values to the check points and you have to obtain a certain amount of points before you can finish that leg.

at the rogaine i ddi at bear mountain, it was 100% running, and we had to accumulate 100 points with the least amount of checkpoints. the kicker was that you didnt know the point values until you were looking at the checkpoint..so you had to choose whether or not to punch your card with that checkpoint. at that race, we thought we finished with 99 points, but had made a mistake and finished with 105...which gave us huge penalties and we were prettymuch last lol.

Back
Top Bottom