Who likes to smoke their meat?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I was home, unsupervised, like 3 nights in a row 2 weeks ago, so i figured I would reorder some supplies, upgrade/update/splurge a bit. $500 later i decided to put the debit card away. I dont shop online often, but when i do I have impeccable timing. This past Wednesday was youngest child's birthday, take a guess which day every single package arrived on my doorstep? Not my first rodeo, 2 years ago she got a full exhaust system, a new helmet and some new bed linens 🙄 Oh well, we took her out and she laughed about it 😃
View attachment 199460
Planning for the world wide dry rub shortage?

ekuhn

I was home, unsupervised, like 3 nights in a row 2 weeks ago, so i figured I would reorder some supplies, upgrade/update/splurge a bit. $500 later i decided to put the debit card away. I dont shop online often, but when i do I have impeccable timing. This past Wednesday was youngest child's birthday, take a guess which day every single package arrived on my doorstep? Not my first rodeo, 2 years ago she got a full exhaust system, a new helmet and some new bed linens 🙄 Oh well, we took her out and she laughed about it 😃
View attachment 199460
Love the Meat Church pack!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Tomorrow I will smoke 3 racks of ribs, a pork loin, and a brisket….why not and wish me luck!!!

Love smoked pork loin - best deal in the store!
do you brine it first?

Used my regular rub last time, but thinking i might go more paprika and mustard and lower the black pepper and garlic.

And Good Luck (insert Airplane gif)

Frank

Sasquatch
Love smoked pork loin - best deal in the store!
do you brine it first?

Used my regular rub last time, but thinking i might go more paprika and mustard and lower the black pepper and garlic.

And Good Luck (insert Airplane gif)
I will use a mustard, pepper, paprika, etc combo on it.

Captain Brainstorm

Im planning on doing my first full packer soon. What was your method?
I would start with a good piece of meat, USDA Choice or above. It does make a difference. Also, don't go crazy with trimming off too much fat, Leave a 1/8 to 1/4 layer on the bottom as an insulator from the heat, and don't dig too deeply into where the point and flat meet, just trim off the big pieces. Trim with a sharp knife when the meat is cold, the fat comes off easier and there's less of chance you'll loose a finger tip. Under 14-16lbs I don't separate the point from the flat. Sure, the far end of the flat may dry out a little, but you've got 10+ pounds of meat anyway.

Rub is personal preference, I use Dalmation rub (50/50 course ground pepper and sea salt) and leave it on for 24hrs so the salt penetrates. My smoker is a size large Green Egg with the Conveggtor inside which is key to keeping the heat indirect. Lump charcoal only, but I throw some apple or cherry hunks on. I also use a drip pan filled with hot water directly under the meat. It serves 3 purposes; keeps the meat from drying out, acts as a heat sink to prevent temperature spikes, and to catch drippings that I later use in my sauce.

Smoke time is around 18hrs, plus/minus. I keep temps as close to 225F as I can. I have a Thermoworks Smoke X4, I put a probe in the point and one in the thickest part of the flat. I usually start the smoke around 8-9pm, go to sleep, then wake up around 8am and foil wrap it (Texas Crutch). The wrapping is controversial, but in my opinion its already picked up plenty of smoke over the past 12hrs (I don't like it over smokey), it helps me get through the stall faster, and I still have good bark. I take it off between 198-200F, depending on how it jiggles, then stick it in a cheap cooler (while still tightly wrapped in foil) wrapped in towels until the internal temp goes down to around 130-140ish. This step is important because carryover cooking happens, it reabsorbs some juices, and If you try to slice it when its too hot it will fall apart and shred.

If this sounds complicated, its not. The only way to really fuck up a brisket is to overcook it, let the heat get too high or keep in on until the internal temp gets over 204. You'll do fine as long as you keep an eye on the temps. Post some pics when you're done.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I would start with a good piece of meat, USDA Choice or above. It does make a difference. Also, don't go crazy with trimming off too much fat, Leave a 1/8 to 1/4 layer on the bottom as an insulator from the heat, and don't dig too deeply into where the point and flat meet, just trim off the big pieces. Trim with a sharp knife when the meat is cold, the fat comes off easier and there's less of chance you'll loose a finger tip. Under 14-16lbs I don't separate the point from the flat. Sure, the far end of the flat may dry out a little, but you've got 10+ pounds of meat anyway.

Rub is personal preference, I use Dalmation rub (50/50 course ground pepper and sea salt) and leave it on for 24hrs so the salt penetrates. My smoker is a size large Green Egg with the Conveggtor inside which is key to keeping the heat indirect. Lump charcoal only, but I throw some apple or cherry hunks on. I also use a drip pan filled with hot water directly under the meat. It serves 3 purposes; keeps the meat from drying out, acts as a heat sink to prevent temperature spikes, and to catch drippings that I later use in my sauce.

Smoke time is around 18hrs, plus/minus. I keep temps as close to 225F as I can. I have a Thermoworks Smoke X4, I put a probe in the point and one in the thickest part of the flat. I usually start the smoke around 8-9pm, go to sleep, then wake up around 8am and foil wrap it (Texas Crutch). The wrapping is controversial, but in my opinion its already picked up plenty of smoke over the past 12hrs (I don't like it over smokey), it helps me get through the stall faster, and I still have good bark. I take it off between 198-200F, depending on how it jiggles, then stick it in a cheap cooler (while still tightly wrapped in foil) wrapped in towels until the internal temp goes down to around 130-140ish. This step is important because carryover cooking happens, it reabsorbs some juices, and If you try to slice it when its too hot it will fall apart and shred.

If this sounds complicated, its not. The only way to really fuck up a brisket is to overcook it, let the heat get too high or keep in on until the internal temp gets over 204. You'll do fine as long as you keep an eye on the temps. Post some pics when you're done.

Butcher paper wrap?

walter

Fourth Party

Not complicated at all, im familiar with the process, was just curious to see which way you went towards the end primarily. Thanks for the awesome reply 🍻

Captain Brainstorm

Butcher paper wrap?
Butcher paper, foil, both achieve the same thing. I just use the thick foil because I get a tighter wrap with it and its easy to manipulate. Plus if there are left-overs I just re-wrap and put in the fridge. Go with whatever you like best, as long as you don't over-cook the thing, its all good in the end.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Any recommendations for doing faster ribs? Have some for tomorrow, but I'd rather play in the woods and rush the cook than play with ribs for 6 hours.

Throwing a chicken on now....

Top Bottom