Car-spotting thread

yup, pretty much the same as a dynacorn 67 mustang.....handbuilt gets expensive these days. I have to say after rebuilding my mustang...when I see $250,000 for a car completely hand built from scratch to the level of detail these are.....really doesn't surprise me. Hell of alot work
Yep, totally understand the price of hand-built. We do it here at work everyday, and most of it is stainless steel. We should probably charge more, but our competition is cookie cutter and disposable, where we're more built to order and durable, so price is usually a big deal.

Yep, totally understand the price of hand-built. We do it here at work everyday, and most of it is stainless steel. We should probably charge more, but our competition is cookie cutter and disposable, where we're more built to order and durable, so price is usually a big deal.

Are you in automotive or another area of fabrication?

Agree with you and Utah on the handbuilt price tags. It's hard to really know what goes into something unless you build it from scratch.

I did a lot of custom shit on my Land Rover 110. I would not want to think of the amount of hours I have into it. A few things I did 2 or 3 times over (exhaust was one of those items). And stupid little stuff like my accelerator pedal assembly. It has an easy 6 hours in it so far and I want to redo the pedal section which will be another 1-2 hours. No wonder the damn engine install has taken me 7 months so far.

Are you in automotive or another area of fabrication?

Agree with you and Utah on the handbuilt price tags. It's hard to really know what goes into something unless you build it from scratch.

I did a lot of custom shit on my Land Rover 110. I would not want to think of the amount of hours I have into it. A few things I did 2 or 3 times over (exhaust was one of those items). And stupid little stuff like my accelerator pedal assembly. It has an easy 6 hours in it so far and I want to redo the pedal section which will be another 1-2 hours. No wonder the damn engine install has taken me 7 months so far.
Design, fabrication and assembly of bulk trucks for mobile processing of explosives used in the mining industry. Customer supplies the chassis, we do the rest. Here's a few examples.
20210310_144342.jpg
20200807_163030.jpg
20200225_074509.jpg

^ looking at that bottom truck....that looks like some kind of a screw conveyor? so im guessing whatever goes in there is something pretty thick

very cool stuff @JDurk

Reactions: don
^ looking at that bottom truck....that looks like some kind of a screw conveyor? so im guessing whatever goes in there is something pretty thick

very cool stuff @JDurk
Yes, 8" x 24ft auger in the bottom of the body, 10" auger in the vertical tube behind the cab and another 8" x 18ft in the overhead boom. Actually the product isn't too thick for that type of truck. All pictured trucks use ammonium nitrate and fuel oil mixtures.

Top 2 trucks use thicker product called emulsion (consistency of mayo). It's waterproof and already sensitized to go boom, and pumped through a hose into the hole using a progressive cavity pump. There are usually some other type of additives that the customer's chemical formula requires. Every customer has different product densities and formulas. Pump trucks are used in all environments, but mainly for locations that can have wet holes and controls we add can vary the density from top to bottom in any hole. Top truck is at an iron ore mine in Newfoundland and Labrador province of Canada. Middle truck is in the U.S., used for quarry work and construction for smaller diameter holes where precision is needed for the blast. Cost is high for these trucks and we make a lot of them.

The bottom truck uses dry AN, basically fertilizer, and fuel oil is injected towards the bottom of the vertical tube. It gets mixed travelling through to the discharge. This truck capacity is 24 tons of AN and 400 gallons of FO, so the percentage of the mixture isn't much to make it go boom. But once calibrated it works great, but doesn't like wet holes, so mainly used in dry climate. This truck is at a gold mine in Kyrgyzstan. It's not as precise, more of just blast it and process the rocks. Cost is lower and we don't make as many any more. Just mostly spare parts as augers wear out.

Here's what emulsion looks like, and no it's not supposed to be there. Hose got plugged and blew the hose clamps off the fitting.
connection 2.JPG

Last edited:
@JDurk What kind of positive displacement pumps do they use? Rotary lobe, screw?
Rotary gear pumps from Bowie and Mono for lower pressure transfers from the tank to a hopper or mixing auger.

Progressive cavity pumps per customer specs from Mono, Allweiler, and Netzsch for high pump rates and pressures. Truck in top picture will move 500kg/min. with a big Allweiler, 6" inlet to 6" outlet reduced to 3" pipe/hose, so it fills the hole pretty quick.

FWIW, it looks great.

Reactions: don
Quick stop at Marty’s Randolph shop yesterday and this pulled in ahead of me.

She went inside and left it running. When I got inside she was picking up her 10k+ Tri bike for an upcoming event.

Looks nice not crazy about the color but can it even go off-road with that lack of tire clearance.

5A06CB0F-D4F4-43C7-B434-ECA4A984328C.jpeg

Quick stop at Marty’s Randolph shop yesterday and this pulled in ahead of me.

She went inside and left it running. When I got inside she was picking up her 10k+ Tri bike for an upcoming event.

Looks nice not crazy about the color but can it even go off-road with that lack of tire clearance.

View attachment 179618

Air suspension. You can raise it 2+ inches with the touch of a button on the center console.

Spotted and put a deposit down on this '58 Chevy Biscayne. It's a 4 door and a 235 I-6 but a total time capsule. It's going to my dad but I may have to turn some wrenches on it while it's at my house ;) Side note: there was a '58 Chevy in American Graffiti that I'd watch with my dad as a young one. The AG one was a white 2 door with a V8 (283?) but I thought that was pretty rad.

The original powerglide instructions on the sun visor blew me away! I didn't get picture of it but the jack is all in the same stock position and in as new condition. Frame and floors had no rust.

Attachments

• IMG_5151.jpeg
    IMG_5151.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5145.jpeg
    IMG_5145.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5162.jpeg
    IMG_5162.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5170.jpeg
    IMG_5170.jpeg