Car-spotting thread

"VW group had Volkswagen, Porsche, Audi, Bentley and Lamborghini models on the vessel."

Lets hope there are a large number of bloated performance SUVs (ahem URUS) headed to the bottom of the Atlantic
Why would you hope for this? They will just make more, plus the whole environmental disaster thingy…..

100LL fumes in the air, ok, but not this.

Timely

I've followed this a little. It's been going on for years. It's a lot of work because they have to prove the fuel will work for everything in all conditions so people don't die. The market is really very small though, so there's not a lot of incentive to spend a ton of money developing a new fuel. To give an idea how small, a total of 1400 gasoline powered planes were sold new last year and the total fleet is estimated to be about 200,000.

Some piston planes are approved to run on ethanol-free gasoline, which has decent availability, but most piston airplanes need higher octane and an unleaded option has not been available.

I've followed this a little. It's been going on for years. It's a lot of work because they have to prove the fuel will work for everything in all conditions so people don't die. The market is really very small though, so there's not a lot of incentive to spend a ton of money developing a new fuel. To give an idea how small, a total of 1400 gasoline powered planes were sold new last year and the total fleet is estimated to be about 200,000.

Some piston planes are approved to run on ethanol-free gasoline, which has decent availability, but most piston airplanes need higher octane and an unleaded option has not been available.

approved engine control systems would be a better way to go. Simple knock sensors and air/fuel ratio+spark advance control vs manual (i look at an exhaust temp gauge and run just short of peak on the rich side (some planes are approved to run short of peak on the lean side) - it is a constant battle as it changes with density altitude.
They were talking about running 1 conventional magneto, and one with some brains.

Just replace all the engines with something that runs on Jet-A!

Why would you hope for this? They will just make more, plus the whole environmental disaster thingy…..

100LL fumes in the air, ok, but not this.
lol, I do not REALLY wish for any environmental harm....However, the less volkswagen products there are on american roads the better IMO....so I hope they all safely make it back to port and get recycled into something more useful to society.

I think I’ve seen the same one around Morristown a lot. It looks brand new!
I should have taken a few more pics. The inside looked perfect too. I know little to nothing about most cars, but I did have a buddy in high school that had one of these…. Many good times.

I should have taken a few more pics. The inside looked perfect too. I know little to nothing about most cars, but I did have a buddy in high school that had one of these…. Many good times.
id guess that one would sell for 50-70k depending on what its powered by and how it looked underneath. The market for them is pretty crazy right now.

Could go all in with a "new" build. https://vintagebroncos.co/

Check out the FAQ page for some sticker shock.
yup, pretty much the same as a dynacorn 67 mustang.....handbuilt gets expensive these days. I have to say after rebuilding my mustang...when I see $250,000 for a car completely hand built from scratch to the level of detail these are.....really doesn't surprise me. Hell of alot work

Back
Top Bottom