Hurricane Thread

rlb

A friend of a friend is missing in BW. She was driving home from Rutgers picking up her kid and the car got stranded in front of Lexus on Rt22

I did hear about this. Very sad situation, I know we're all hoping for some good news in the end. That spot seems like it caught everyone off guard.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Weather station at my house says 8" of rain, with peak rate over 3"/hr
Think the anemometer is off a bit though

The
1630674248331.png
is

qclabrat

I did hear about this. Very sad situation, I know we're all hoping for some good news in the end. That spot seems like it caught everyone off guard.
I heard Chimney Rock by the quarry had a sink hole. It was from Ring alerts so not sure if there's truth to it

jackx

How much infrastructure spending was in the new trillion $ budget?
Not much of the total. Not sure how happy people will be when the solar panels from the green new deal are under water and there's no power to charge their electric car or run their sump pump.

Electric cars are great for short commutes, but no one will be able to evacuate from the path of a hurricane, without their electric car running out of power when in evacuation traffic for a few hours, or if they have to drive 700+ miles nonstop people from South Florida, as hundreds of thousands had to do to escape Hurricane Irma in 2018.

Imagine evacuating to outrun or escape a storm and having to stop every 200-300 miles to recharge or wait in line to recharge your electric car batteries, and the recharging may take 2 hours for a full charge, or 1+ hour for partial charge.

navsnipe

Not much of the total. Not sure how happy people will be when the solar panels from the green new deal are under water and there's no power to charge their electric car or run their sump pump.

Electric cars are great for short commutes, but no one will be able to evacuate from the path of a hurricane, without their electric car running out of power when in evacuation traffic for a few hours, or if they have to drive 700+ miles nonstop people from South Florida, as hundreds of thousands had to do to escape Hurricane Irma in 2018.

Imagine evacuating to outrun or escape a storm and having to stop every 200-300 miles to recharge or wait in line to recharge your electric car batteries, and the recharging may take 2 hours for a full charge, or 1+ hour for partial charge.
The more you know :oops:

ebarker9

What?

If the solar panels are underwater doesn't that also not bode well for the car itself?

An electric car sitting in traffic for a few hours uses relatively little electricity.

Waiting in line to charge your electric car battery? Have you never seen multi hour lines at gas stations before/during/after major storms?

I'm not suggesting that the current state of electric cars and charging infrastructure is going to be a solution for everyone currently but it seems like you just don't like electric cars and are somehow using the very specific case of people evacuating from a hurricane to attack the technology. If anything, the increasing frequency and severity of these storms makes the case for infrastructure investment in things like the electrical grid and, yes, solar panels to at least attempt to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.

JerseyPete

What?

If the solar panels are underwater doesn't that also not bode well for the car itself?

An electric car sitting in traffic for a few hours uses relatively little electricity.

Waiting in line to charge your electric car battery? Have you never seen multi hour lines at gas stations before/during/after major storms?

I'm not suggesting that the current state of electric cars and charging infrastructure is going to be a solution for everyone currently but it seems like you just don't like electric cars and are somehow using the very specific case of people evacuating from a hurricane to attack the technology. If anything, the increasing frequency and severity of these storms makes the case for infrastructure investment in things like the electrical grid and, yes, solar panels to at least attempt to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.
And this:

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod

I made a thread just for that, and if you're feeling feisty there is one for afghans too

Go piss in that bowl Ida already filled this one

serviceguy

What?

Electricity + Underwater = kind of not working me thinks...granted regular modern cars are heavily depending of ECU which is electric too, but I am not sure how available would be the recharging station during an extended black out period. Gas station could still function using gas to power their generator and pumping gas. How the enormously increased demand of electricity were to be fulfilled is a mystery of dogmatic proportions, ask CA and TX for reference. Some aspects of the full switch to electric just have not being planned or even considered at all if you ask me. Kind of the trend of the moment if you ask me...

Top Bottom