Park Rat Thread

Sevenz

It looks like my first park day will be at Bryce tomorrow to hang with some teammates. I'm trying not to think to much about the drive-to-riding ratio. But much of the reason to to hang with friends for the day.
This assuming I can finally finish work for the day (as I'm waiting for a Revit model to open at 7pm...)
Bryce is pretty good for a small park and usually never busy...They just built an amazing new jump line called Hooch...I'd put it between Hollywood and Fort Hill in terms of jump size...Bigger than Hollywood, smaller than Fort Hill. It has 2 pretty sizable mandatory drops and one of the biggest step ups I've ever seen. It's pretty awesome. It was running great when we rode it memorial weekend Preview when they first opened earlier this year

• Wow
Reactions: don

Ian F

I've heard about Hooch. Not sure I'll be hitting those. Especially on the first park day of the year. I never quite mastered Hawleywood, but I did get Gronk down pretty well as well as Blue Magic at Killington and my one run down Black Magic went well. Unfortunately, those were quite a while ago, so I'm sure I'll be a tad rusty.

JonF

I just got back from a few very muddy days at Windham and, despite the foul weather, had a fun time. Windham lacks the broad array of trails that, say, Creek has, but makes up for it in the length and elevation. Even though there's about 5 legit, full length trails (plus a few side hits), there's really only 1 that's truly noteworthy and its the Gravity Logic built jump line called Windham Roll. Its about 3 miles long and has about 45+ jumps on it from top to bottom. About 40 of them are legit built tables, step ups or downs or wood ramps and the remaining few are natural rock ramp features. They are medium to medium+ sized at best but the super smooth grading, fast berms and higher trail speed coupled with the sheer amount of varied style jumps means lots of opportunity to play around.

Even though the jump trail gets all the attention, the jibby natural terrain trail is also a lot of fun but would be better on a smaller trail bike. The DH trail was way too treacherous in the wet to spend any time on. The green trail kinda sucks though as its just miles of flat turns with too many boring climbs thrown in.

Seems like that place is an untapped wonder though. The amount of real estate there is massive and the DH trails only encompass a small portion of the mountain. Would be great to see some expansion there on the same level they've done with the existing jump line.

Reactions: don

Ian F

I think the trail is called Wilderness Roll? I do remember it being a lot of fun the few times I rode it when I was there for the World Cup events and was doing the Citizen's DH race - so I mainly rode the race course. Some day I'd like to at least look at the World Cup course.
I agree Windham has potential, but it seems the management isn't quite into mtn biking as some of the other resorts. I haven't been back since the last WC event in 2015.

JonF

You're right, Wilderness Roll was the name. I did attempt the Citizens DH trail, however, it was so wet and muddy that it was not the right day to session that one. Apparently the UCI DH trail is still there but its in some disrepair due to neglect so didn't bother with it. Same for the XCO course, some portions were so overgrown it was difficult to find the line.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Heading to Creek tomorrow if anyone is around (@JonF). Will probably get there by noon. Look for the guy sweating his balls off on a white Commencal with purple bits.
🌞

JonF

Just got back from vacay, will have to wait a week and catch un on work before taking another day off. Eager to get out there with you though. I didn't know they were open tuesdays...

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Heads up creek peeps of closures til after the race Sunday. These are the ones I came across
Candyland
Bleuphoria
Lower DMLH
DMLH
Lower Legion
Road to Nowhere
Waterboy
Asylum
Bottom of Bushwack where it heads to where 99 comes out.
Top of BMW
Epitaph
Hudson River

JonF

Good to know. Was thinking about heading up Thursday and was curious how much of the mountain would be taped off. Wonder if Tempest will be accessible. Its not explicitly listed but seems like it could be essentially blocked off by the in-use race trails.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA.ORG
Good to know. Was thinking about heading up Thursday and was curious how much of the mountain would be taped off. Wonder if Tempest will be accessible. Its not explicitly listed but seems like it could be essentially blocked off by the in-use race trails.
It was open today, forced to take "easy way out"

Ian F

Well crap... a bunch of us are planning to go Friday and one of them called yesterday and was told the trails would be open. Where did you find this information?

DownhillR3

Well crap... a bunch of us are planning to go Friday and one of them called yesterday and was told the trails would be open. Where did you find this information?
Pedaled up mountain today at 6am... course is going to be sweet for the race this weekend. If riding Tempest you will just have one race course crossing... don't let it ruin a trip. Lift lines will be worse than the walk across a 10ft. section.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA.ORG
Pedaled up mountain today at 6am... course is going to be sweet for the race this weekend. If riding Tempest you will just have one race course crossing... don't let it ruin a trip. Lift lines will be worse than the walk across a 10ft. section.
def some spice in that course, esp going through the waterboy area

JonF

Went there yesterday and the race day vibe was amping up throughout they day, it was pretty cool. Only course walks were allowed but folks were riding other trails for practice. Lift lines were non-existent. Reminds of going to MotoGP events back in the day with all the vendor tents, racers and spectators. Wish i could be there on the weekend for the full monty.

ebarker9

I think I'll go up Sunday to spectate. I saw that Neko is racing. Any of the other big names? Dak/Gwin/etc?

Top Bottom