Park Rat Thread

Gwinn is usually there… but he got injured and blew his season last time so he might be bitter lol.

I recall that whole scandal. The pictures that were not to be shared. Blaming his mechanic for putting recalled cranks on the bike. The whole thing was so ridiculous, but definitely derailed that entire season. Seeing now that it doesn't look like he's on the World Champs squad. Maybe he's already injured.

I recall that whole scandal. The pictures that were not to be shared. Blaming his mechanic for putting recalled cranks on the bike. The whole thing was so ridiculous, but definitely derailed that entire season. Seeing now that it doesn't look like he's on the World Champs squad. Maybe he's already injured.

IIRC the mechanic took the blame himself.

pb-small-dark_48x34.png
What exactly happened this past weekend with the bike? What were the factors that led to what happened?

John: We basically just broke a set of cranks. Straight up, those cranks were simply an old version and shouldn’t have been on his bike. Responsibility and fault for that lay entirely on me. That’s the thing with responsibility, its great when things go right but you also have to accept it when things go wrong. We don’t shift blame and we own up to our mistakes on our team. I pride myself on my integrity and ability to face the music good or bad. This is one of those times for me.

E-thirteen had a conversation with me a little over a year ago about not running that version of cranks anymore due to inconsistencies they were seeing and I got rid of them as instructed. For some reason, there was one pair left in my garage that we had kicking around and I used them to build up the first M29 Aaron rode from Intense early on and never thought to put the new style cranks on once we received them. I knew they were an old style crank when I installed them by looking at them but it never crossed my mind that they were the cranks I was supposed to get rid of because it had been some time since that conversation with E-thirteen. It was definitely not my intention to run cranks that we weren’t supposed to, but again, that's on me and I should have been more on top it than I was. It was just a bummer and not a proper representation of the high quality of the current E-thirteen product. The last thing I want is for Aaron or any rider to doubt their equipment and I understand the importance of that first hand across all fronts.

Aaron: I think John pretty much answered everything. It was just a slight mistake that ended up costing us. These things happen in bike racing and life in general. John knows that I’ve made my fair share of mistakes too. I trust him completely, it’s unfortunate but we’re just stoked it didn’t end up worse and we can get back to racing real soon.

Does anyone know what time the Pro race begins on Sunday?

picturing any mountain biker I know dealing with media/PR is laughable lol.

Or apparently dealing with registration 😂

"I have no idea. I didn’t know I would need to petition, but USA Cycling hit me up a few days ago letting me know that they would add me to the selection process even though I missed the petition deadline. Was definitely my bad missing the petition deadline. I’ve just really never had to do that and didn’t realize everyone but the National Champ has to petition. Just thought they’d pick the top 5 on results or something and you’d petition for the last few spots.

Pretty shocked I’m trying to get in contact with someone to see what’s up."

Or apparently dealing with registration 😂

"I have no idea. I didn’t know I would need to petition, but USA Cycling hit me up a few days ago letting me know that they would add me to the selection process even though I missed the petition deadline. Was definitely my bad missing the petition deadline. I’ve just really never had to do that and didn’t realize everyone but the National Champ has to petition. Just thought they’d pick the top 5 on results or something and you’d petition for the last few spots.

Pretty shocked I’m trying to get in contact with someone to see what’s up."
In his defense, I've never heard a single good thing about the USAC. Their system is probably all fucked and confusing and he's a DH mountain biker so i'm sure there is some level of brain damage.

I rode Creek on Friday and while a few trails were closed, enough was open we had a great time. I did more runs there than I've done in years, if ever - 14 runs in total. Starting at about 10am and finishing up around 5pm, with a break around 1:30 for lunch at the beirgarten. My jumping is still a bit rusty, but definitely getting better. I finally cleared the jump on Alpine under the lift that always made me feel like a goober when riding that trail. Not wanting to sit in traffic, we hung out in the lot for a bit (beer), reminisced old days at Plattekill with Lars Tribrus who we hadn't talked to in ages, then back to the Beirgarten (beer) before finally leaving around 7:45. I stopped for gas and ice cream on my way home and pulled into my driveway around 10.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5750721852

I've always said when riding at Mtn Creek you'll run out of energy before running out of lift time and we tested that on Friday. Sat night and I still feel cooked. And I just played with cars today at a car show - although standing around outside in the heat/humidity for 6 hours can be its own kind of tiring.

I rode Creek on Friday and while a few trails were closed, enough was open we had a great time. I did more runs there than I've done in years, if ever - 14 runs in total. Starting at about 10am and finishing up around 5pm, with a break around 1:30 for lunch at the beirgarten. My jumping is still a bit rusty, but definitely getting better. I finally cleared the jump on Alpine under the lift that always made me feel like a goober when riding that trail. Not wanting to sit in traffic, we hung out in the lot for a bit (beer), reminisced old days at Plattekill with Lars Tribrus who we hadn't talked to in ages, then back to the Beirgarten (beer) before finally leaving around 7:45. I stopped for gas and ice cream on my way home and pulled into my driveway around 10.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5750721852

I've always said when riding at Mtn Creek you'll run out of energy before running out of lift time and we tested that on Friday. Sat night and I still feel cooked. And I just played with cars today at a car show - although standing around outside in the heat/humidity for 6 hours can be its own kind of tiring.
14 runs is a damn decent number! I did 11 on thurs and my forearms were toast. Funny you mention that jump on alpine, i too just mustered up the guts to hit that at speed and nailed it. Alpine used to be quite intimidating to me with the high speed berms, jumps and walls so packed together but once you can comfortably tackle them individually its such a blast to chain them together. OTOH, Domboo can piss right off. 🤬

Good seeing EVERYONE today...

That was a quite a day..... Congrats to @Ryan.P for taking 3rd

First day with my son at creek... That was pretty goddam awesome
View attachment 164749View attachment 164750View attachment 164751View attachment 164752View attachment 164753View attachment 164754

I’m still super fresh getting back on the bike but it was awesome hanging with the crew. Also badass to witness Bob’s first day… sorry Pat almost mowed his whole class lol.

Back
Top Bottom