James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Today

...I rode my bike again in Vermont.

Twice.

You can read all about it here.

Today is the last full day here. We are making the most of it.

YWBOUaJ.jpg

Today

...I woke up in Vermont, and now I sit in New Jersey. This is the sad direction.

The last day wrap-up can be found here.

As much as it is sad to end these trips I'm tired of sleeping in other people's beds. And my body can't take much more of this bike-eat cycle. So in some ways it's good to call it a wrap for now. For now.

It's been a great 10 days. But like all good things, it has to come to an end in order for it to remain a good thing and not normal. Plus, my butt is sore from riding so much. I have 26+ hours on the month so far, and all but 1 hour of that is on the mountain bike.

Until next trip!

U1hZMSa.jpg

So what’s the verdict on KT2.0 minus those parcels that were lost?
90% of OG awesomeness?

More importantly, how far would you drive to ride KT?

Today

...I went back to the real world. Millennial A (or B, I forget which is which), is now gone. The EM, who was off last week on vacation, decided she needed today off too. And tomorrow. And Wednesday. This is due to a lacrosse tournament for 1 of her kids that she "forgot" about. The other Millennial took the week off, just 5 weeks after having a week off. In other words, welcome back to reality.

My left knee hurt a bit. Can't say that surprises me.

We went for an easy road ride at lunch just to punch the ticket. My gosh it's hot & thick out there. I can't say I missed this weather. But here we are. Again, welcome back to reality.

I dropped off the Pivot with Jim at Hilltop. It's time for new suspension bearings. And maybe a bottom bracket. And perhaps a brake bleed. And whatever else it needs.

I also went to Shop Rite.

To answer Jason's question about KT2.0. It's still not as good as KT1.0, or KT1.9 which is really the version we were on. I don't think it's 90% because you need to remember there was a brief time when all that original stuff was there AND the Moose Haven stuff was there. I don't know that I can put a percentage on it. Awesome, not the same. But it's still awesome.

Let me put it to you this way. The OGKT was the Jimi Hendrix Experience. KT2.0 is like Jimi Hendrix walking into a bar where you're having a great time with 19 of your best friends. He is wasted out of his mind, but decides to grab a guitar and get up on the bar and play for everyone, He's a total mess, and not what he normally is. And maybe an hour into this he falls off the bar and passes out and the show is over, just like that.

It's not the Jimi Hendrix Experience but it's still Jimi, and you're still hanging out with your best friends. So it's still pretty awesome, if you know what I mean.

8acdc106ce7e1e92e65b32563f80b02b.jpeg

When Black Bear was brand new and not officially open yet and the three T's were still open was probably the best ever. But my opinion is that KT now is better than it was before Moose Haven, even without the three T's. Another year or two and there will be even more good shit to connect the disparate areas.

like Jimi Hendrix walking into a bar where you're having a great time with 19 of your best friends. He is wasted out of his mind, but decides to grab a guitar and get up on the bar and play for everyone, He's a total mess, and not what he normally is. And maybe an hour into this he falls off the bar and passes out

This sounds like a much better experience to me.

Today

...was one of those days you use to make sure that the good days are really understood to be good days. It's sort of like, if you go to a 5-star restaurant every night does that then become your 3-star? Today was not bad, but it was just, "another day."

To wit:
  • We did a moderate road ride at lunch that was perfectly fine
  • Jim informed me that I have destroyed both links on the suspension and he needs to replace them
  • I got a nose & ear hair trimmer from Amazon
    • Ok that in itself is neither here nor there, but I lose faith in humanity due to the fact that it came with a...not kidding here...42 page user manual
  • I went to the dentist to have 2 cavities filled and he found a 3rd, so he filled 3
  • I then went to Shop Rite to buy avocados & strawberries & a pack of AA batteries (because the 42 page manual informed me what kind of batteries it needs)
  • I walked the dog for over an hour
Absolutely nothing about today was bad. But absolutely nothing about today was remarkable. However, by moving past today into tomorrow, we move 1 step closer to the weekend. And nobody got hurt. So we all win, in the end.

But these blooming in the yard are nice:

23fSUrq.jpg

Today

...man I feel good. Coming off a big landslide of riding often takes its toll in the short term but a few days of rest and I am ready to roll. We didn't have too much time today but we did knock out 21 miles in the post-rain mid-rain pre-rain late-afternoon-early-evening time right before dinner. Felt kind of good to get caught in the rain at the end. Solid ride, 14 in a row and 15 rides in that span. I see no real problems with hitting that 31/31 challenge other than potential life obstacles.

Today was slightly better than ordinary but not much. But you know when you feel good, things seem better? D made a pot of udon noodle soup for dinner and it was fantastic.

I ordered like 240 pairs of socks today from the Sock Guy. Got to talking to the dude and it turns out that he's originally from NJ. Also turns out that they are looking to do some road shows so I am going to see if I can connect Sock Guy Road Show with 2021 JORBAfest. More to come.

FIL update, which has been a while because we are now in the slow burn from the start of this to some end point, where "end point" is the steady state of his life after the PT and getting back home. Objectively, he is definitely improving and he is now starting to take steps forward in relearning how to do some things. With a lot of help, he was able to stand today 2 times for very brief periods. He was also able to draw a "0" with his right hand. Still in the hospital but out of ICU for a while now (not sure if I had mentioned that or not). Overall, he is slowly, but absolutely moving forward.

With that, hump day has come & gone.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.10.15 PM.png

Happy to hear about the progress of FIL, slow progress is still progress and these things take a lot of time. You would like to see your loved ones to be healthy right away obviously, but it takes some patience.

Today

...man I feel good. Coming off a big landslide of riding often takes its toll in the short term but a few days of rest and I am ready to roll. We didn't have too much time today but we did knock out 21 miles in the post-rain mid-rain pre-rain late-afternoon-early-evening time right before dinner. Felt kind of good to get caught in the rain at the end. Solid ride, 14 in a row and 15 rides in that span. I see no real problems with hitting that 31/31 challenge other than potential life obstacles.

Today was slightly better than ordinary but not much. But you know when you feel good, things seem better? D made a pot of udon noodle soup for dinner and it was fantastic.

I ordered like 240 pairs of socks today from the Sock Guy. Got to talking to the dude and it turns out that he's originally from NJ. Also turns out that they are looking to do some road shows so I am going to see if I can connect Sock Guy Road Show with 2021 JORBAfest. More to come.

FIL update, which has been a while because we are now in the slow burn from the start of this to some end point, where "end point" is the steady state of his life after the PT and getting back home. Objectively, he is definitely improving and he is now starting to take steps forward in relearning how to do some things. With a lot of help, he was able to stand today 2 times for very brief periods. He was also able to draw a "0" with his right hand. Still in the hospital but out of ICU for a while now (not sure if I had mentioned that or not). Overall, he is slowly, but absolutely moving forward.

With that, hump day has come & gone.

View attachment 162372
JORBA socks or mtbnj or both?

MTBNJ socks. Kirt runs the JORBA ship/shop.
Is there going to be any MTBNJ.com swag not strictly related to the race team at some point? You know, for those who want to support/represent but don't have the competitive spirit in them...

Is there going to be any MTBNJ.com swag not strictly related to the race team at some point? You know, for those who want to support/represent but don't have the competitive spirit in them...

We currently have water bottles
Socks will be available for anyone
We stopped doing pint glasses

We do have team shirts just for us. We did discuss having general MTBNJ shirts but I think we would want to use something like CafePress so we can one-off those sales.

What else did you have in mind?

We currently have water bottles
Socks will be available for anyone
We stopped doing pint glasses

We do have team shirts just for us. We did discuss having general MTBNJ shirts but I think we would want to use something like CafePress so we can one-off those sales.

What else did you have in mind?
T-shirts or jerseys would have been the most obvious thing I suppose. I do remember the discussion about the Team Vs Non Team Peasants, I just thought that given the renewed energy put into the whole JORBA thing on your side (thank you BTW) maybe a MTNBJ by JORBA or JORBA by MTBNJ T-Shirt or even Kot/Jersey could be of interest. Maybe it would just be confusing.

I also really like the checkered shirt a-la @pooriggy / @jmanic .

I did get the bottle but I am all bottled out now, it's either bladders or thermal bottle in the winter. How many million bottles did you buy?!?!?

I would have loved a pint glass, maybe a collector edition with a glass for each of the major parks...I'm a sucker for those things!

Not sure what e

T-shirts or jerseys would have been the most obvious thing I suppose. I do remember the discussion about the Team Vs Non Team Peasants, I just thought that given the renewed energy put into the whole JORBA thing on your side (thank you BTW) maybe a MTNBJ by JORBA or JORBA by MTBNJ T-Shirt or even Kot/Jersey could be of interest. Maybe it would just be confusing
@Norm maybe to differentiate, we could make non-team shirts blue and orange, instead of orange and blue.

Back
Top Bottom