Ooopps.....I did it again.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ll add a vote for what Matty said.
I would disagree for someone's 2nd or 3rd bike. But it's Burke's main bike and I 100% believe he'd enjoy it more if it was a more modern geometry frame with a nice suspension fork.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I would disagree for someone's 2nd or 3rd bike. But it's Burke's main bike and I 100% believe he'd enjoy it more if it was a more modern geometry frame with a nice suspension fork.
Probably $350 to fix. 650 for brand new/warranty, updated geo. No brainer.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Reggie can speak for hisself,
but pretty sure he is not a fan of the new geo.
See the failed Stache experiment

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Probably $350 to fix. 650 for brand new/warranty, updated geo. No brainer.
New wheels with 135/142 vs boost, fork due to longer travel, shorter stem because more better geometry, etc.

It's why if I sold mine I would try to sell it whole.

Oh, and I haven't been riding mine and just remembered I have a mysterious creak in the rear which I thought was my hub but wasn't.

Now I'm nervous and really need to inspect my frame...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Reggie can speak for hisself,
but pretty sure he is not a fan of the new geo.
See the failed Stache experiment
Not to school you but that stache is anything but modern geo with 70 Ht and 70 ST, about the only thing remotely new school is CS length. Those numbers is what makes that bike terrible.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not to school you but that stache is anything but modern geo with 70 Ht and 70 ST, about the only thing remotely new school is CS length. Those numbers is what makes that bike terrible.
Da fuq do I know? Lol.
Carry on.

Johnny Utah

New wheels with 135/142 vs boost, fork due to longer travel, shorter stem because more better geometry, etc.

It's why if I sold mine I would try to sell it whole.

Oh, and I haven't been riding mine and just remembered I have a mysterious creak in the rear which I thought was my hub but wasn't.

Now I'm nervous and really need to inspect my frame...
That’s how I found my crack. The mystery creak

serviceguy

Any update @Reggie ? I may have a line on yet another El Mariachi frame already cracked at the chain stays, I would be interested if I can get it repaired as I don't have a frame it in that color..

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any update @Reggie ? I may have a line on yet another El Mariachi frame already cracked at the chain stays, I would be interested if I can get it repaired as I don't have a frame it in that color..

Not really. Rode it last weekend at Raystown for four days. It held up fine. Slammed with work and life and haven't had the time to get the ball rolling.

serviceguy

I'm getting a little obsessed checking my chain stays after every ride now...

1tnlzr.jpg

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Is it just me or do the older geo's still climb better than new geo's. I do feel I'm much better on downhills with the new geo's, but climbing, I still prefer the older geo's. Whatever they are doing for climbing with the new geo's, I feel, is a compromise. So in general, the new geo's for me descend very well (only combined with a dropper) and climb ok, which may be worth the tradeoff for most people. I must admit when I get on a older geo bike and try to descend these days, I feel kinda sketched out. Also, I feel the older geo turn better at slow speeds.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Is it just me or do the older geo's still climb better than new geo's. I do feel I'm much better on downhills with the new geo's, but climbing, I still prefer the older geo's. Whatever they are doing for climbing with the new geo's, I feel, is a compromise. So in general, the new geo's for me descend very well (only combined with a dropper) and climb ok, which may be worth the tradeoff for most people. I must admit when I get on a older geo bike and try to descend these days, I feel kinda sketched out. Also, I feel the older geo turn better at slow speeds.
Everything you stated is 100% correct

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Really really depends on the numbers, HTA bb drop seat position CSL fork length & offset. There are magic sauce modern geos and the there are meh modern geos. Funny you specifying with dropper post. I said on my last ride no way could I ride this bike without a dropper. Both Canfield and Ripmo climb as well if not better then my misfit. Misfit would break lose if I applied to much front on the steeps. With the new geo that poking the end of the saddle in my arse does not apply. Definitely feel more relaxed on modern and not as sketchy.

Top Bottom