Ooopps.....I did it again.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well....I guess my Covid weight loss didn't happen quick enough.

After a thorough breakdown/cleaning/re-greasing of my beloved El Mariachi, it looks as if I have a crack in the drive side chain stay.

Anyone have any experience working with a bike builder that repairs steel frames that you would recommend?

Last edited:
Time for a custom bike that takes into account the massive wattage you create combined with your unique stature requirements.

Please use my referral code. 😉

Well....I guess my Covid weight loss didn't happen quick enough.

After a thorough breakdown/cleaning/re-greasing of my beloved El Mariachi, it looks as if I have a crack in the drive side chain stay.

Anyone have any experience working with a bike builder that repairs steel frames that you would recommend?
Very disappointed in your cracking such an awesome bike and in an even more awesome color! I think you may have to ride 2 el mariachis...concurrently! Being steel the fix should be feasible, I believe you may want to have some gusseting added to the obvious weak point, on both chainstays. BTW, had it been a large I would have suggested to pay me to pick up the cadaver...
What’s it made of?
I can’t believe you needed to ask! Did @Pearl put you up to it?!?!

Bummer dude! Alls I can say is good luck finding a builder who can get it done in this decade. That's why I gave up on fixing steel misfit.

Bummer. I had a Niner SIR9 crack on the non-driveside chainstay in the dimple area behind the BB. Had it fixed at Bilenky Cycle Works in Philly. While it did get fixed and is still being ridden by a friend, it took 1yr and 1 day to get it back to me. I got tired of waiting. Ordered and took delivery of an IndyFab in 12wks and was riding it for 3mos prior to getting the SIR9 back. Can't hurt to check.

Edit: pics added of crack and repair.
28052970_737680929761281_1023985350_n.jpg
45663980_10155628890601150_5627591091264946176_n.jpg

52762273_10155838104711150_1736692952673026048_n.jpg

Last edited:
Bummer. I had a Niner SIR9 crack on the non-driveside chainstay in the dimple area behind the BB. Had it fixed at Bilenky Cycle Works in Philly. While it did get fixed and is still being ridden by a friend, it took 1yr and 1 day to get it back to me. I got tired of waiting. Ordered and took delivery of an IndyFab in 12wks and was riding it for 3mos prior to getting the SIR9 back. Can't hurt to check.

Edit: pics added of crack and repair.
View attachment 159406View attachment 159407
View attachment 159408

Thank you. This is perfect. Luckily, I have the old '13 El Mariachi hanging in my garage. I'll swap everything over while the '16 gets repaired. Thinking of going with something new as well built for my riding/eating style.

Thank you. This is perfect. Luckily, I have the old '13 El Mariachi hanging in my garage. I'll swap everything over while the '16 gets repaired. Thinking of going with something new as well built for my riding/eating style.
Good luck with the eating....err repair.

Go watch Steve from " hardtail party" on YouTube.
All he does is review hardtails. He's reviewed the timberjack and specialized fuse.

Or just get the chameleon in carbon. It's stiff for you big boys.

Weaver Cycle Works in Collingswood is defunct I believe but you may be able to get him to do a repair.

If it's going to become a paperweight, I'll take it. :)

My dad is a welder and I've had him fix some aluminum bikes, but it just puts off buying a new bike for a bit longer. If it's not heat treated properly after, it weakens the metal around it or something and they both cracked about a year or less later, close to the repairs.

Back
Top Bottom