Pinch flats-trash or save the cash?

WWMTBNJ do in this incredibly thought provoking situation?

• New tire ya cheapskate. Just start a go fund me page or something.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • This site IS sponsored by Stan’s, remember? Juice that sucker up and send it. #yolo

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • I go through tires like Max goes through screen names. Why are we even talking about this?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • E-bike.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So i pinched a brand new rear tire. After a bit the Stan’s got it and it’s still holding. Normally I’d put on something else but it’s stoopid new and I don’t have anything decent for a rear in stock. So.

• Wow
Reactions: Kev

Fire Lord Jim

Depends on the pinch. Or what you mean by a pinch. On a tubed tire, a pinch flat happens when the tube is caught between the rim and the tire bead. On a tubeless set-up? I don't know.
Last week I got a puncture through the tread, with a second hole at the bead. I put a Stans ® Dart in the tread, fixed, but the hole at the bead would only seal below 10 psi. Any more pressure, any flex, and it splooged sealant.
I replaced the tire.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Depends on the pinch. Or what you mean by a pinch. On a tubed tire, a pinch flat happens when the tube is caught between the rim and the tire bead. On a tubeless set-up? I don't know.
Last week I got a puncture through the tread, with a second hole at the bead. I put a Stans ® Dart in the tread, fixed, but the hole at the bead would only seal below 10 psi. Any more pressure, any flex, and it splooged sealant.
I replaced the tire.

classic snakebite/pinch against the rim (aka goon smash).
I refreshed the sealant and crossed my fingers. Seems legit!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If it’s just on the tread I think you’ll be fine. Until you’re not. I just hope you’re not with me when the “not” happens. Are you going today?

Sidewall tear = garbage. Tread you can get away with.
By the bead. Yes I’m going, and now this all means I’d better go do...stuff. Off to plan B!

sundaydoug

I've had success super gluing a small piece of old tube to cover and seal the compromised area inside of the tire. Tread, sidewall, even near the bead. No sense in throwing out an otherwise good tire. A few years ago I tore a hole in the sidewall of a brand new tire at MCBP. Second run of the year. Patched it when I got home, aired it up and rode it for the rest of the season. Out of the stack of old Maxxis tires in my basement I'd wager 40% of them have small patches of tube glued to them.

Just make sure to clean the area really, really well before applying anything. Super glue isn't ideal for this application, but it works.

Last edited:

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I pinch flatted a DHF a couple years ago. I plugged the holes with bacon and let the sealant do it's thing. Honestly, I didn't think I'd make it back to the parking lot with 2 holes right next to the bead... but I did. I ended up riding that tire for several months after that and it was fine.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
patch it ya melon

1621084979343.png
1621085000274.png

jackx

I thought pinch-flat referred to a tube flat. I did not know tires can get snake bites.

I have only had punctures on road tires and I patch them from the inside and use them at +100 psi, with tubes and no problems. I would definitely try patching an MTB tire.

Top Bottom