Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

JPark

I think this was the log mentioned, though there was another big one.
20200810_105938.jpg

20200810_105905.jpg

Rockbottom

It's been this way for a few years now, basically stay away on weekends or else go really early or late.
It’s certainly been getting more popular here over the past few years, but today was something like I’ve never seen before. Boulderama was unrideable at certain points because there were so many hikers coming the opposite direction.

I chatted with another biker in the lot before leaving. He said there was no parking at all at six mile, so he was giving Sourlands a try. I wished him luck.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Wow, this is getting nuts. If you're there on a weekend, i'd advise against riding Boulderama at all these days. Wait until it starts dropping into the 50s this fall and we'll slowly get our trails back. I really need to start discussions with the parks people about a new alternate parking lot. There are a few viable options (and opportunity to build new trails to them).

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
new alternate parking lot

there is always....

would be cool to incorporate that zion/long hill section, or the zion corner access.
some day.
----

as an aside,
The railroad lot at cush was packed last w/e, including across the street, and the road.

We should try to capitalize (ie get some jorba $$$) now.
meaning new members, and more influence.

phillychris498

there is always....

would be cool to incorporate that zion/long hill section, or the zion corner access.
some day.
----

as an aside,
The railroad lot at cush was packed last w/e, including across the street, and the road.

We should try to capitalize (ie get some jorba $$$) now.
meaning new members, and more influence.
After a dry spell, that Zion lot is a great way to avoid the crowds and get access to Tres Amigos goodness up top. Every time I've tried to park there the pipeline was just a muddy mess though.

Patrick

Staff member
After a dry spell, that Zion lot is a great way to avoid the crowds and get access to Tres Amigos goodness up top. Every time I've tried to park there the pipeline was just a muddy mess though.

one of these days i'm going to drain that lake that forms up there.
about 15 minutes with the ditch witch should do it.

The park touches Zion Road here, would make a great access point.
https://goo.gl/maps/M8JhVhmJQq3W82NDA

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I have not ever been on Long Hill or Zion but the Millers lane spot looks perfect. Are u sure it's leased? Sat image doesn't even show a house at the end circle

Patrick

Staff member
I have not ever been on Long Hill or Zion but the Millers lane spot looks perfect. Are u sure it's leased? Sat image doesn't even show a house at the end circle

@rick81721 - did you ride up this earlier in the summer?

I'm sure there was a house up there, and people were living there.
Don't think it changed - we are monitoring a couple county owned homes in branchburg for acquisition
by the town - someone got talking about the one on miller.

rick81721

Lothar
@rick81721 - did you ride up this earlier in the summer?

I'm sure there was a house up there, and people were living there.
Don't think it changed - we are monitoring a couple county owned homes in branchburg for acquisition
by the town - someone got talking about the one on miller.

No I went up Northhill to the pipeline clearing and then took that northeast all the way to Longhill. There is a parking area on Longhill across from Pirozzi - but you still have to get thru several swampy areas to get to the trails.

phillychris498

No I went up Northhill to the pipeline clearing and then took that northeast all the way to Longhill. There is a parking area on Longhill across from Pirozzi - but you still have to get thru several swampy areas to get to the trails.
Yeah I recall there being some small lakes to ride through. I ended up bushwacking around them.... so at least it’s not all swamp up there.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions