Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

I have been avoiding Sourlands because of the overcrowing, but has anyone been here lately? How bad are the prickers? Should i organize an impromptu trimming session soon? Rangers haven't gotten back to me about trail maintenance days resuming - because i'm sure they're just busy with crowd control and directing traffic. Also, any trees down?

Was there last week. The prickers are definitely growing in, but at this point, generally avoidable (so not at “emergency levels” quite yet). Can‘t recall any downed trees...

I'm sure it's a disaster and I'm sure it'll take a while for the Rangers to get out there. I will try to get out there this weekend to do some assessment and cleanup. If anyone wants to join, let me know, i can bring the JORBA hand tools. If anyone gets out there Thurs-Fri, let me know how it looks and if you cleared anything.

I'm sure it's a disaster and I'm sure it'll take a while for the Rangers to get out there. I will try to get out there this weekend to do some assessment and cleanup. If anyone wants to join, let me know, i can bring the JORBA hand tools. If anyone gets out there Thurs-Fri, let me know how it looks and if you cleared anything.
If you're going to be there Saturday morning I can help with clean-up. Just post a start time.

I went there today, 10AM. I cleared a lot of sections... by leaving my bike home. Instead I hiked. Someone already has been through with a big saw. I cleaned the arm-width branches, but I stayed red / blue and did not get over to the boulders. It's pretty much cleared.
Wow, maybe the rangers got in there already. Cool. I'm still going at some point this weekend but probably gonna be a last minute thing.

Looking like midday today for me to get out there. Maybe around 11:30. Email sourlands(at)jorba.org between now and then if you want to join.

I went there today, 10AM. I cleared a lot of sections... by leaving my bike home. Instead I hiked. Someone already has been through with a big saw. I cleaned the arm-width branches, but I stayed red / blue and did not get over to the boulders. It's pretty much cleared.

how were the trails mud-wise?

So I'm impressed that the Rangers cleared pretty much everything. We were just raking stuff off the trail for the most part, but also were able to fix and clear some alternate lines, and create a brand new one! We just did the yellow Boulderama loop but I assume everything else is good too based on @Fire Lord Jim s assessment of red and blue above and what we saw. Big thanks to @jklett plus daughter and @JPark for the help today. Below is what we cleared so it's clear but still really slippery. Needs a dry day or 2.
Screenshot_20200808-200104_Trailforks.jpg

Last edited:
New alternate line?? 😃😃😃 Where? Did you snap any pictures?
It's on Boulderama and nothing major but i think @JPark got a picture. There's a potential massive and perfect log ride we eyed up on the middle C trail but it would require chainsaw craftsmanship (PM me @Patrick). I meant to take a lot of pics but then i got soaked and tired and just didn't. The Devil's Half Acre section is just a spiderwebbed mess now with all the hiker traffic. If you don't know what the real trail is you could walk around in circles for hours. All the shortcuts are so burned in.

It's on Boulderama and nothing major but i think @JPark got a picture. There's a potential massive and perfect log ride we eyed up on the middle C trail but it would require chainsaw craftsmanship (PM me @Patrick). I meant to take a lot of pics but then i got soaked and tired and just didn't. The Devil's Half Acre section is just a spiderwebbed mess now with all the hiker traffic. If you don't know what the real trail is you could walk around in circles for hours. All the shortcuts are so burned in.
20200808_125310.jpg

It's a great beginner rock roll. Can be ridden from both directions. Just added a few rocks to connect it all on Boulderama.

Attachments

• 20200808_125300.jpg
    20200808_125300.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 86
View attachment 136633
It's a great beginner rock roll. Can be ridden from both directions. Just added a few rocks to connect it all on Boulderama.

i know where that is. I think I rode it with jklett and thought it could be cleaned off and more official looking

nice job!

I’ll go looking for the log. !

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions