Should i be concerned

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
of course I know the answer, I have been having a terrible creaking for quite some time. Figured might as well check it out and this is about the only thing a could see. Looks like the beginning to a beautiful ending to a long relationship with my niner fork. Of course I just sold my other lesser used niner fork. Now its getting tougher to find straight steering tube.
20200706_121239.jpg
20200706_121224.jpg

Whoa pic makes it look worst then in person. But I'm sure either way its done.

Great, now I want to know if my carbon fork has the same problem! That's a bummer on selling the spare fork, pretty much why I can never sell anything.

couple of holes at the ends to stop the crack - fill it with epoxy, good to go.
Please check that insurance is paid-up.
I guess that if the internal surface was prepared well enough it could work. When I had the Mukluk frame repaired the guy showed me how he sometimes fixes critical areas of a road bike frame, which involves filling the small diameter carbon tube with epoxy.

Last edited:
If you run a fingernail over it can you feel any kind of seam? Second pic honestly looks more like a scratch

Its raised. Does not look like a crack like metal. More like a wrinkle.

Interesting. I don't have much experience with carbon forks, but that's a weird spot for failure. You have a bearing below that spot and a bearing above it with everything clamped together. Having a crack on the fork crown itself would definitely be bad, but seems to me that particular spot would be relatively low-stress.

But I'm no engineer, so take that for what it's worth...

Fact it maybe have been there from new so I am gonna send it till destruction. With it going up and down and not across gives me zero fucks until it does. Carry on...

what do expect from a company that named themselves after a wheel size

in any case, i think you are good for awhile to ride it

I have a straight steerer tube QR Niner Fork. Just laying around. Black. FYI.

couple of holes at the ends to stop the crack - fill it with epoxy, good to go.
Please check that insurance is paid-up.

Yeah but....underlying problems.....in a high stress area. As for the OP, if I recall right this is # 3 for carbon for said rider. Wheel.....then crank......3rd time is the charm? Don't listen to me though, I'm an Engineer. @mattybfat I'll ride with you, and I'm restocked on wrap with puppy prints.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
You missed my carbon explosion a week ago down cardiac. So if we are counting this one its #4. But the others were real blow ups this maybe just carbon connected to aluminum and could use a good pasting. Everywhere else on fork looked good. As I said before that spot could of been from the manufacturer.

You missed my carbon explosion a week ago down cardiac. So if we are counting this one its #4. But the others were real blow ups this maybe just carbon connected to aluminum and could use a good pasting. Everywhere else on fork looked good. As I said before that spot could of been from the manufacturer.
I couldn't help myself lol. Since you already had 3 and its vertical not horizontal its probably fine (no joke)

Back
Top Bottom