Should i be concerned

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
of course I know the answer, I have been having a terrible creaking for quite some time. Figured might as well check it out and this is about the only thing a could see. Looks like the beginning to a beautiful ending to a long relationship with my niner fork. Of course I just sold my other lesser used niner fork. Now its getting tougher to find straight steering tube.
20200706_121239.jpg
20200706_121224.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whoa pic makes it look worst then in person. But I'm sure either way its done.

serviceguy

Great, now I want to know if my carbon fork has the same problem! That's a bummer on selling the spare fork, pretty much why I can never sell anything.

serviceguy

couple of holes at the ends to stop the crack - fill it with epoxy, good to go.
Please check that insurance is paid-up.
I guess that if the internal surface was prepared well enough it could work. When I had the Mukluk frame repaired the guy showed me how he sometimes fixes critical areas of a road bike frame, which involves filling the small diameter carbon tube with epoxy.

Last edited:

sundaydoug

If you run a fingernail over it can you feel any kind of seam? Second pic honestly looks more like a scratch

sundaydoug

Its raised. Does not look like a crack like metal. More like a wrinkle.

Interesting. I don't have much experience with carbon forks, but that's a weird spot for failure. You have a bearing below that spot and a bearing above it with everything clamped together. Having a crack on the fork crown itself would definitely be bad, but seems to me that particular spot would be relatively low-stress.

But I'm no engineer, so take that for what it's worth...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fact it maybe have been there from new so I am gonna send it till destruction. With it going up and down and not across gives me zero fucks until it does. Carry on...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
what do expect from a company that named themselves after a wheel size

in any case, i think you are good for awhile to ride it

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a straight steerer tube QR Niner Fork. Just laying around. Black. FYI.

Fat Trout

couple of holes at the ends to stop the crack - fill it with epoxy, good to go.
Please check that insurance is paid-up.

Yeah but....underlying problems.....in a high stress area. As for the OP, if I recall right this is # 3 for carbon for said rider. Wheel.....then crank......3rd time is the charm? Don't listen to me though, I'm an Engineer. @mattybfat I'll ride with you, and I'm restocked on wrap with puppy prints.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You missed my carbon explosion a week ago down cardiac. So if we are counting this one its #4. But the others were real blow ups this maybe just carbon connected to aluminum and could use a good pasting. Everywhere else on fork looked good. As I said before that spot could of been from the manufacturer.

Fat Trout

You missed my carbon explosion a week ago down cardiac. So if we are counting this one its #4. But the others were real blow ups this maybe just carbon connected to aluminum and could use a good pasting. Everywhere else on fork looked good. As I said before that spot could of been from the manufacturer.
I couldn't help myself lol. Since you already had 3 and its vertical not horizontal its probably fine (no joke)

Top Bottom