Yet another loop question.

Question. Is all that trails or does it consist of some road riding also.

The ride I posted has a 1 mile section on Green Pond just off of rt 23 - thats the only paved rd. Convenient actually since you can hit the Whistle Stop right on the highway to re-hydrate on hot days.

Thanks Bill!
I'm looking at this one (cause you labelled it fun:D): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/165677464
Which looks like Beach Glen, to Green, to Yellow, then to Hawk Watch and...Orange or White down. Hard to tell that from the track.
Which way do you ride it, clockwise or counter?
Thanks again.
That's my after work goto stress reliever. Pretty much right on the trail colors. CCW. After HW to Orange and then down white - I make a left after the graveyard and back up the jeep trail and a right uphill and right back down to white. This piece is another silly little thing - but if you ever hit that spot while the sun is going down, it seems quite transcendent.

B. We said on Sunday we'd pay to see a rider clean some of what we hit. Wanna earn twenty bucks one day? :D
I will do stupid animal tricks for free

The ride I posted has a 1 mile section on Green Pond just off of rt 23 - thats the only paved rd. Convenient actually since you can hit the Whistle Stop right on the highway to re-hydrate on hot days.

That's my after work goto stress reliever. Pretty much right on the trail colors. CCW. After HW to Orange and then down white - I make a left after the graveyard and back up the jeep trail and a right uphill and right back down to white. This piece is another silly little thing - but if you ever hit that spot while the sun is going down, it seems quite transcendent.

I will do stupid animal tricks for free

CCW seemed like the way, cool. Thanks man, we're thinking next Sunday for a rematch. Never made it over the other side and it sounds like that's going to be a little more fun. 10-15 miles in the am generally works for us "married with" types so the loop should be perfect.

Definitely take you up on the stupid human tricks one day.:D
Cheers!

CCW seemed like the way, cool. Thanks man, we're thinking next Sunday for a rematch. Never made it over the other side and it sounds like that's going to be a little more fun. 10-15 miles in the am generally works for us "married with" types so the loop should be perfect.

Definitely take you up on the stupid human tricks one day.:D
Cheers!

take video sounds like a fun ride haha

a ride at Wildcat

Is anyone is doing a ride from Wildcat to the RT 23 side anytime soon? I would like to do your loop. Ive been riding there a long time and sounds like someone has some great loops worked out. BTW - Nice work on the blue trail.

a GOOD day at Wildcat!

Ok, we didn't nail Bill's loop exactly (no graveyard) but it was an awesome day out there. Fun, weather was fantastic, leaves were pretty, and the trails rocked. I'm probably bleeding the same amount as last ride, but it feels more like "wounds honorably earned" rather that last weeks' "vengance of a spiteful god.":D

Running old beach glen from Batcave counter-clock is the WAY, it make so much more sense. The green up to the dam is effective but not terribly exciting. Yellow however is a lot of fun and there is really cool exposed rock spine up there that was killer. It also changes character, after the power lines it has a Wayay look and feel, then changes into more of Mooch vibe. Fun!

Orange up to HW was a fun, techy climb that I busted out two or three new moves I didn't even know I had. Wildcat is great for upping your tech game, btw! It gets a little odd trying to pick up the trail back down after HW, was kinda hard to find the trailhead again. Lots of old dirt bike trails there. We ended up on white which was a lot of fun, but just before it intersected with orange it turns into a hike-a-bike over a rocky feature that I'd love to see someone ride.

The trails themselves are well marked, although there are times we wandered around for a while looking for the next blaze. Part of that is the place is lightly travelled and the trails aren't well defined. We did see another group of riders who were local to the area, so word may be getting out. Oh, almost forgot, the updated trail map is well worth a Jorba membership, it's very good.

The first time there I didn't really dig how some of the obstacles flowed but today felt really good and I enjoyed it a lot. We decided bringing other people up with us would make friends not enemies, unlike our last ride.:)

Question: is riding across the dam allowed or no, I thought I read something about that? Thanks for all the advice and guidance!

http://app.strava.com/rides/25739406

And I capped off the day by adding a new (used) bike to the stable, which is always good. :D

Last edited:
Glad you had a good ride, Wildcat is a place for discovery and a test of fortitude. ;)

Next time, mid way up the green, make a right and follow the green blazes uphill. Instead of coming out by the furnace you go over the mountain and exit by the boat launch. Though...this is another test.

You can go over splitrock dam as you did to get to the the yellow.
It is "Beaver Dams" that they want you to stay off.

Was is it you guys that pearl and I saw today on the beach glen trail not to far from the bat cave lot...heading in the opposite direction?

Was is it you guys that pearl and I saw today on the beach glen trail not to far from the bat cave lot...heading in the opposite direction?

Unfortunately not, might have been the group we ran into also. Too bad, woulda been cool to meet you guys. Thanks for the garmin advice btw. It's not super easy to follow like that but does let you know if you're on or off track.

Unfortunately not, might have been the group we ran into also. Too bad, woulda been cool to meet you guys. Thanks for the garmin advice btw. It's not super easy to follow like that but does let you know if you're on or off track.

I know where you guys went off track...its a hard spot to see. There are logs on the left turn that you have to ride over...took me a long time to remember where it was.

Here was our loop, we came in from my house and through the trails behind white meadow lakes.

http://app.strava.com/rides/25746633

Glad you had a good ride, Wildcat is a place for discovery and a test of fortitude. ;)

Next time, mid way up the green, make a right and follow the green blazes uphill. Instead of coming out by the furnace you go over the mountain and exit by the boat launch. Though...this is another test.

Ok, we'll give that a try on green next time. You ride here enough and the occasional hike a bike starts to feel normal rather than an inconvenience. Or maybe Wildcat is just making me weird.:D
Thanks!

Utah, I think I see the spot you're referring to.
It's funny how you can see our little "tail" where we went off course looking for the blazes. Neat section of woods there though (in where the plants are all flattened out, just before the intersection with white). I liked a lot of the white trail down where you ride on that dirt ridge. however I wish there was another way around the cliff-like area just before hitting orange again.
If you take orange from white on down, is it all that cinder bed till it hits white again or more singletrack? If its all flat, I might just stick to white...:hmmm:
Thanks!

Oh, btw, thanks for all the work up there.;) It is appreciated.

Right after the glassy field and before the slight uphill at the beginning of the green trail (Merridan side)there is a fork to the right. This will lead you to the power lines that dump out by the boat launch. With the leaves down its hard to follow but its really challenging. Especially heading from the reservior toward Merridan Rd.

Right after the glassy field and before the slight uphill at the beginning of the green trail (Merridan side)there is a fork to the right. This will lead you to the power lines that dump out by the boat launch. With the leaves down its hard to follow but its really challenging. Especially heading from the reservior toward Merridan Rd.

Cool, thanks. We'll keep an eye out for it.;)

Would like to meet up with you guys if your into it. Ive been riding there a long time and know the place. Sounds like you guys dont mind the rocks.

It's funny how you can see our little "tail" where we went off course looking for the blazes. Neat section of woods there though (in where the plants are all flattened out, just before the intersection with white). I liked a lot of the white trail down where you ride on that dirt ridge. however I wish there was another way around the cliff-like area just before hitting orange again.

Your "tail" you made off of the jeep road (which is technically Lower Hibernia Rd) will go down hill in either the left or right direction. Right will take you to a relative maze of quad trails that can eventally lead to Green Pond Road just north of the DPW lot. Left (again a bit of a maze) will get you to Meggins Rd of off Green Pond. These are not blazed - pretty much guaranteed to get lost the first 3 times you go there.

Preferred routes from the Hawk watch (for me):
1. Orange to jeep road crossing, left onto jeep road follow down slight hill. Before you would begin a loose rocky climb turn right onto another jeep trail. Cross over stream and look for left turn over a log. DO NOT GO downhill. Just before the DH begins White crosses. Turn right here onto white - you can follow all the way to graveyard. All very rideable.
2. Orange and left onto White within 100 ft of Hawkwatch. This section of white is challenging for a good stretch. White will cross over jeep trail and get into some great rock gardens.

See attachment (route 1 highlighted with pink). I also circled the area where you tailed around - you can see how the trail works back down to GPR.

Attachments

• WC map1.JPG
    WC map1.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 349
I think we hooked up on white after the jeep crossing, but I believe we made a left onto it somehow? Maybe that's why we missed the graveyard. 'Cause we definitely took white for a while until it intersected back onto orange. That area you circled didn't really look all that mtn bikey, but it was a cool open section of woods. Maybe after a few more rides we'll start trying to get lost.;)
I'm actually itching to get up there again.

GSS, yeah man, we can hook up anytime. Love to ride up there with a local. Although it is kinda fun to fumble around.:D
We almost always ride early Sunday mornings, although this weekend I got a thing. Maybe mtbiker38 is up for it?

Thanks again guys!

I think we hooked up on white after the jeep crossing, but I believe we made a left onto it somehow? Maybe that's why we missed the graveyard. 'Cause we definitely took white for a while until it intersected back onto orange. That area you circled didn't really look all that mtn bikey, but it was a cool open section of woods. Maybe after a few more rides we'll start trying to get lost.;)
I'm actually itching to get up there again.

GSS, yeah man, we can hook up anytime. Love to ride up there with a local. Although it is kinda fun to fumble around.:D
We almost always ride early Sunday mornings, although this weekend I got a thing. Maybe mtbiker38 is up for it?

Thanks again guys!

Its REALLY easy to miss the turn...actually two turns that will take you to the spine and eventually the graveyard. I think I missed it about 4 times before finally remembering where it was. Did you happen to see the motorcycle gas tank sitting in the middle of the trail? Thats what I used to use as a reminder that the turn was coming up.

Always up for a sunday AM ride. I've got a special stash that u will love. Never seen another mtn bike tire track on it. (ATV trail) Solid 3 mile rip. mostly downhill from the res side. By the charlettesburg rd. gate. Hard to find. Harder to follow leaf covered.

Utah: is the turn you're talking about off the white, or off one of the jeep trails? That's where I'm confused. Orange and yellow both land right around the intersection of those jeep trails. For a little bit, nothing is marked that we could find. We rode down a gravel jeep trail for a little bit, found a fresh white blaze, and headed off. Obviously we weren't too far off as it tracked fine and popped out on orange. But we never really found a trailhead exactly. Maybe I'll try to follow Bills' directions exactly.
Are you and he talking about the same turn? Maybe I'm just stupid or something...:confused:

GSS, now you're scaring me! I do have to get back home to my family at some point. :D I do want to catch up with you, let's keep in touch.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions