What is a "Fred"?

jklett

Title says it all. I had some guy call me a f-ing Fred when I was passing him and he acted all mad when I said that's not my name. What does that mean? I'm assuming it's supposed to be some sort of insult?

Yeah I wouldn't worry what roadie pricks think of you. When I used to ride my road bike I always did so with a Camelbak and mountain bike clothes/shoes. And I waved at every other cyclist on the road.

Last edited:
Exactly what were you doing road or mtb?

Roadies refer to a Fred who maybe in baggies or beachwear

If you were mtbing well then that's a whole different meaning. Another word would be poser. Fred's and posers are the guy who looks like Trek just signed to contract except fred has little to no skill.

But yes being a Fred is offensive to overly serious and sensitive riders.

Yeah I wouldn't worry what roadie pricks think of you. When I used to ride my road bike I always did so with a Camelbak and mountain bike clothes/shoes. And I waved at every other cyclist on the road.
That pretty much sums it up. Mountain biker riding a road bike waving and telling everyone to enjoy their ride.

I don't care what other people think of me anyways, I'm just out there having fun.

If you were mtbing well then that's a whole different meaning. Another word would be poser. Fred's and posers are the guy who looks like Trek just signed to contract except fred has little to no skill.

I was riding the road bike with a baggy shirt and my visored helmet. Now that I understand what he meant, I think that it's funny and I will revel in my Fredness.

Did you have your helmet on backwards and 40 spacers in your stem? Or chamois on the outside? If yes then you deserved to be called a Fred. If not, then don’t worry about it and that guy can double flat.

So the guy tries to insult you while YOU are passing HIM? D-bag.
Only slightly more acceptable if he passes you back and leaves you in the dust as he is hurling said insult. ?

Fred means please drive your front tire into my rear tire as I pass you

Back
Top Bottom