What have you done to your bike today?

Raided the parts bin this morning and replaced the spider on my gen one XX1 crank with a Wolftooth direct mount NW Oval ring from the pile.
IMG_0591.JPG

Doing so Really limited my time at Jorba-fest but it felt real good on the trail...

Picked up some g-form pads there that I'd been eyeing for a while, so I'll count it as a WIN.

still working on my son's NICA build, slow going.

finally got the fork put back together after having to order parts 4 times (mostly my fault), installed the new headset and put the fork on. (yes I forgot the sag indicator, but I was not about to take it apart after all that time)
20171002_235741.jpg

installed the rear brake and derailleur
20171002_235810.jpg

and then shortened the brake hoses. I read and watched two videos to be sure. The rear went fine. Then I did the front and after installing gave it a squeeze to see how badly it needs to be bled. Oil comes squirting out the coupling and the hose about falls off:eek:. Near as I can tell, my cable cutter has two blades (so it actually cuts the cable into 3 parts with a throw-away in the middle), it did not cut all the way thru and I did not notice. Of course I do not have another olive and insert so waiting for those to arrive.
20171002_235904.jpg

still working on my son's NICA build, slow going.

finally got the fork put back together after having to order parts 4 times (mostly my fault), installed the new headset and put the fork on. (yes I forgot the sag indicator, but I was not about to take it apart after all that time)
View attachment 57928

installed the rear brake and derailleur
View attachment 57929

and then shortened the brake hoses. I read and watched two videos to be sure. The rear went fine. Then I did the front and after installing gave it a squeeze to see how badly it needs to be bled. Oil comes squirting out the coupling and the hose about falls off:eek:. Near as I can tell, my cable cutter has two blades (so it actually cuts the cable into 3 parts with a throw-away in the middle), it did not cut all the way thru and I did not notice. Of course I do not have another olive and insert so waiting for those to arrive.
View attachment 57930

Yikes! Thankfully it's Mineral oil and not DOT fluid.

Bike looks great BTW. :)

well, the brakes are back together and bled.
dang, bleed is the right term. the dude on the video spills a single drop which he politely dabs with a towel. my garage looks like the brakes exploded and attacked everything in sight. it took just as long to clean up as to bleed the breaks...

well, the brakes are back together and bled.
dang, bleed is the right term. the dude on the video spills a single drop which he politely dabs with a towel. my garage looks like the brakes exploded and attacked everything in sight. it took just as long to clean up as to bleed the breaks...
lol
yeah... I suck at bleeding the brakes too. 99% of the time I end up making a mess. At least you didn't contaminate the brake pads.

@ilnadi Haha, you're doing my two least liked items brakes and forks. Only thing worst is truing wheels. As I get older, bike maintenance seems so much a chore.

interesting that you turn the bars for the other bikes, so are they winterized for the season? most of mine were also hung up but the wife kept on complaining that the bars were poking her each time she got out of the car. This was not a problem till every bike's bars grew by at least 100mm
I've been using that one all week.
I'll turn those bars too.
I also have my old road bike.( That's still for sale)
Plus my wife's road and MTB hanging as well.
They don't take up much room cause she's small.

Last edited:
Final evolution of the EVO. Thanks to @jdog @Halters, got a new frame under warranty as the previous one was slightly out of whack in the rear. Upgraded frame, hi mod (my older frame wasn't hm), new Di2 shifters, including push button speed shifts on the bars, cf stem with titanium bolts (my steel bolts were rusting like crazy in the FL sea air), new seatpost. Went from white with black accent to black with green - looks more meanerer to me:

22221025_182523992295838_3740155042884222976_n.jpg

First ride tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom