What have you done to your bike today?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All set to go yesterday to Creek but did some air topping on suspension and brake checking and noticed rear pads on my morewood were toast. Luckily I had stock. Unlucky was that I wasted a good hour trying to collapse the four pistons on the codes. What a PITA. In the end it all worked out with only a dozen f bombs or so. No children were harmed.

Mr.Moto

While I was looking for a link for that, I stumbled across this (http://campusbicycle.com/product/trek-international-disc-brake-mount-154274-1.htm), ordered one. For $28 it's worth a shot

The one you ordered should work. It is a universal mount for any size disc, so you will need to bolt on the caliper adapter for the size disc you will use.

I got a direct mount version which direct mounts the caliper for a 160mm disc size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Disc-B...681636&hash=item238592d5b8:g:KygAAOSwDN1UR0PM

IMG_0236.JPG

ilnadi

blackburn1973

that sounds like the $185 Therapy (http://www.therapycomponents.com/disc-conversion.html) adapter.
While I was looking for a link for that, I stumbled across this (http://campusbicycle.com/product/trek-international-disc-brake-mount-154274-1.htm), ordered one. For $28 it's worth a shot[/QUOTE]

Don't think it was the Therapy, but was similar in as much as it stretched down most of the whole length of one seat stay. From a quick search, think it might have been the "shark fin" adapter that Specialized offered as an aftermarket purchase, seen here in this image: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=343952

That said, was a used frame and it came on it when I bought it so wasn't sure who manufactured or sold it. At any rate, good luck with the adapter you picked up.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
took the ride to halters where Trip hooked me up with some new tape/valve/stans and fixed the tubeless disaster i started at RV last week.

put the wheel on and there was def some interference somewhere. So i re-aligned the caliper. Still there.
hmm - pulled the cogs and serviced the star ratchet system (dt 350 hub) - there was some muck, but it didn't really
explain the noise. tried to put the wheel back on, and it hung on the brake pads. after further inspection, the spreader had a leg blocking the pads!
it was bent from the top, and had the pad askew. pulled the caliper, removed the pads, and bent the spring back into shape - reinstall, #boom.

i ordered the correct service grease and will need to pull the hub apart and reassemble next week....

Last edited:

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I turned this:

31969003134_3938259378_b.jpg

into this:

37098058181_77dd1ac653_o.jpg

And then took it out for it's first shakedown ride this morning:

36403386714_317e69c767_o.jpg

37098058161_77649d906c_o.jpg

Very nice ride ... smooth, and above all QUIET!!!

On another note, while I was at the shop picking it up last night I saw a 12-speed and a 10-speed stack on the counter. The size difference cracked me up:

37098058091_0159c5d2b4_o.jpg

Why on earth would anyone ever need a 50??? Is the plan there to basically ride up the side of the empire state building? Or are they planning on running a 50 up front, too? That damn thing has a 500% range. Even if you could come up with a place where having a 50 would somehow make sense (like, say, the upper pitches of K2) are you really going to use the 10 there? That range is completely unnecessary. And I heard that there may be a 52 coming, too. The owner of my shop thinks that in a couple of years, there will be a 60. If that's true, then it's like an arms race to see who can make a workable cog that matches the wheel radius the fastest. Spinning a 50 on anything other than a vertical wall has to feel like your legs are just spinning wildly.

qclabrat

I turned this:

into this:

37098058181_77dd1ac653_o.jpg

And then took it out for it's first shakedown ride this morning:

36403386714_317e69c767_o.jpg

37098058161_77649d906c_o.jpg

Very nice ride ... smooth, and above all QUIET!!!

On another note, while I was at the shop picking it up last night I saw a 12-speed and a 10-speed stack on the counter. The size difference cracked me up:

Why on earth would anyone ever need a 50??? Is the plan there to basically ride up the side of the empire state building? Or are they planning on running a 50 up front, too? That damn thing has a 500% range. Even if you could come up with a place where having a 50 would somehow make sense (like, say, the upper pitches of K2) are you really going to use the 10 there? That range is completely unnecessary. And I heard that there may be a 52 coming, too. The owner of my shop thinks that in a couple of years, there will be a 60. If that's true, then it's like an arms race to see who can make a workable cog that matches the wheel radius the fastest. Spinning a 50 on anything other than a vertical wall has to feel like your legs are just spinning wildly.

impressive carbon to Ti transformation, though I can't make out the tensioning on the Moots, are they sliders?
Also think I see a hanger, is that where the eagle will land???

1speed

impressive carbon to Ti transformation, though I can't make out the tensioning on the Moots, are they sliders?
Also think I see a hanger, is that where the eagle will land???

It has sliding dropouts. The Eagle wasn't mine - it was just there for someone else's build (I'm guessing someone with a pile of money who likes shiny gold things? That sound about right?) Without having an actual explanation for why a bike I own has a hanger, the best I can come up with is this: the good folks at Moots found out my age and said, "It's cute this pathetic old man thinks he'll still be riding singlespeed long enough to justify this purchase ... let's put a derailleur hanger on there for when this poor deluded sap is forced to face reality."

qclabrat

It has sliding dropouts. The Eagle wasn't mine - it was just there for someone else's build (I'm guessing someone with a pile of money who likes shiny gold things? That sound about right?) Without having an actual explanation for why a bike I own has a hanger, the best I can come up with is this: the good folks at Moots found out my age and said, "It's cute this pathetic old man thinks he'll still be riding singlespeed long enough to justify this purchase ... let's put a derailleur hanger on there for when this poor deluded sap is forced to face reality."
after hearing about your EBB trouble, it thankfully steered me away from that option. The slider setups on the Carvers are well thought out and machined
DSC0044.jpg

Patrick

Staff member

for someone fast - it extends the high end - 36/10 instead of 30/10 while maintaining the low end.
36/50 = .72 & 30/42 = .71

not to mention, 12 is 2 higher than 10, and to think, mine only goes to 11....:D

1speed

for someone fast - it extends the high end - 36/10 instead of 30/10 while maintaining the low end.
36/50 = .72 & 30/42 = .71

not to mention, 12 is 2 higher than 10, and to think, mine only goes to 11....:D

I have a couple of "Yeah, but"s by way of reply ...

Yeah, but (#1) that's not how people are using them. I've seen more than a few people who put them on a bike without swapping out the chain ring. Seems more like a reason not to get stronger if they're using it that way.

And if we assume that there are those who are (and I do know a couple of people who have upgraded the ring as well but not nearly as many as those who have not), I say Yeah, but (#2) most terrain (at least here in the east) isn't suited for a 36:10 anyway. Take your pick why: too tight, too twisty, or too quick a transition to climbing (short power climbing is the stock and trade of east coast MTB.)

I just don't see the point of the added range. Did enough people really figure that an 11:42 range or whatever was too narrow? I'll leave the spinning end alone and just focus on the high end. Granted, to each his own and if you dig it and use the full range, more power to you (because you'll really need it.) But I don't get the argument that it's an improvement, especially on the high end. Running single, the largest gear I've ever run anywhere was a 36:15 in Wharton (and then only because I was trying not to get dropped in one of Slimm's Winter Insanity Cruises ™) and you know what? Even in that pancake flat terrain, it wasn't better than a smaller gear. It's not that I couldn't turn it over - it was because it's so twisty there that I was constantly scrubbing and rebuilding speed and over time that wears you out on a big gear. Since then, I've run a 2:1 or at most a 36:17 there and been quite a bit faster. I can't imagine how much it would suck to try to run a 36:10 for any length of time on a trail like that, which begs the question then of when do you use it? On a flat road? Off a start? Meh. Less can be more in those instances. One of the fastest starts in any race around here is the prologue at CP. It's basically a mad dash for a mile or so up a half-paved/half-dirt road. And with one small incline right off the start, I guarantee you that unless someone has the quads of a kangaroo, they're not running 36:10 up that road (or if they are, they're not up front.) They may eventually build up enough speed to be able to get into it without feeling like their legs hit a wall, but with two hard turns and a switchback into the woods, they're not using it for very long if they use it at all. Did they really gain an advantage in those 20 seconds when they were on that gear? I doubt it.

Patrick

Staff member
I have a couple of "Yeah, but"s by way of reply ...

Yeah, but (#1) that's not how people are using them. I've seen more than a few people who put them on a bike without swapping out the chain ring. Seems more like a reason not to get stronger if they're using it that way.

And if we assume that there are those who are (and I do know a couple of people who have upgraded the ring as well but not nearly as many as those who have not), I say Yeah, but (#2) most terrain (at least here in the east) isn't suited for a 36:10 anyway. Take your pick why: too tight, too twisty, or too quick a transition to climbing (short power climbing is the stock and trade of east coast MTB.)

I just don't see the point of the added range. Did enough people really figure that an 11:42 range or whatever was too narrow? I'll leave the spinning end alone and just focus on the high end. Granted, to each his own and if you dig it and use the full range, more power to you (because you'll really need it.) But I don't get the argument that it's an improvement, especially on the high end. Running single, the largest gear I've ever run anywhere was a 36:15 in Wharton (and then only because I was trying not to get dropped in one of Slimm's Winter Insanity Cruises ™) and you know what? Even in that pancake flat terrain, it wasn't better than a smaller gear. It's not that I couldn't turn it over - it was because it's so twisty there that I was constantly scrubbing and rebuilding speed and over time that wears you out on a big gear. Since then, I've run a 2:1 or at most a 36:17 there and been quite a bit faster. I can't imagine how much it would suck to try to run a 36:10 for any length of time on a trail like that, which begs the question then of when do you use it? On a flat road? Off a start? Meh. Less can be more in those instances. One of the fastest starts in any race around here is the prologue at CP. It's basically a mad dash for a mile or so up a half-paved/half-dirt road. And with one small incline right off the start, I guarantee you that unless someone has the quads of a kangaroo, they're not running 36:10 up that road (or if they are, they're not up front.) They may eventually build up enough speed to be able to get into it without feeling like their legs hit a wall, but with two hard turns and a switchback into the woods, they're not using it for very long if they use it at all. Did they really gain an advantage in those 20 seconds when they were on that gear? I doubt it.

agree - @Norm came over to CR one night on the @halters tallboy demo. it had eagle, and i think it was a 32 chainring. he powered up a rock plate with ease (i'm sure he could make it with his std ride, but it looked super easy.) as a comparison - think about the old triple front - mine came 24/36 = .67, so that is the equiv of 34/50. So to make your point :) - i guess people/industry are going lower - or are the wheel/tire OD getting bigger ? (i think that is no?)
36-10/50 doesn't make sense here. but somewhere else? long flats, high speed descents?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
.6 miles into my after-work Hartshorne ride my shifter broke (shortening my ride to 1.2 miles). The nut that retains the levers/spring and other mechanisms came off inside the shifter. So I somehow managed to get that put back together and working once I got home. The bike is only 2 months old with a couple hundred miles on it but I wonder if it's time for a new shifter just for peace of mind? Could upgrade to an XT shifter (bike came with SLX).

Top Bottom