What Bird is This?

what mouse us this? Found it in my dining room. Sleeping (@1speed )
DVncrvQ08LkvW5nhk1mgS4HoG4t3Wlg5c6owYe2Ph6t2Aah8uGhaA2kqd2kKmfwlub8DH3qM-rUQMWjF2GU122Bys1tPFte1rHFKtdsCSx3wMYJw_u9TiWUMamHkQBuE7q24QoGc_HVIl46_dlh-9rY7WBoqdOIShl1G4a1hpX2HyhKhL1CwqS9vTgGr0L7j0G2uacuSpsz59BY5CD8aqxSIfJyQz-36icnrqu5vVSjcYDVzRu-CYCfuv2MxqxAJ-atPHOQu-ly9lcGjpTxLBXBgFTaYmeH_hBB4nnZYZECPxe-McDtY8OcbNlaDK0gxP-b8A2EjqkHWyer_L43ooP7014vPYZwqSXW-klclvQHql_9mDMnRjlc_WplC0cwLtqa__OZhlhfxktqO8U2_aQrM2rPaqa8zqfW1tZIEOly5HS6GGY0sAf1ysZW3txe5Yc59RM5mLhfkusQpun3-kQ8U_zkkwibmW-efjhWqdd2oIe-6IUSBAY4wuQSf1CaJjgVJajOy1NtF6biF-INMTcfLrRLKg8dewDmtWK1yFGKBlszfj09kKEeXwrn6eRaPYzInovaY-ax9GSINDdc_qTQYXFju3pZM77inwyH0X3JeJqCZ57ALQA=w1601-h901-no

Awwww ... look at his little mouse bed. This appears to be what I'd call a "preparedness mouse" because he carries his own little sticky bed with him everywhere he goes. It's either that or it's a "cat hors d'oeuvre mouse". The two look a lot alike in my experience.

I'd like to ask this guy if he really thinks all nature deserves a "glory moment". Does he check every step he takes to see if he's killed an ant or something, and even if he does, does he actually take a moment to admire the smoothness of its segmented thorax? Would he take a second to appreciate the perfect bilateral symmetry of the segment eyes of a tstetse fly before it delivered an organ-liquefying dose of the ebola virus into his bloodstream? If he ever found himself being dragged to the bottom of a swamp for a death roll with a hungry gator, would he take his last few moments to admire the rugged beauty of its prehistoric scales and teeth, or would he fill the swamp with poop knowing that his last official act as flesh will be to serve as a midnight snack for left over dinosaur? Personally, what I appreciate most about nature is that its perfectly consistent in its never-ending attempts to kill us in horrible ways. Let him put that in his pretentious eulogies ...

I'd like to ask this guy if he really thinks all nature deserves a "glory moment". Does he check every step he takes to see if he's killed an ant or something, and even if he does, does he actually take a moment to admire the smoothness of its segmented thorax? Would he take a second to appreciate the perfect bilateral symmetry of the segment eyes of a tstetse fly before it delivered an organ-liquefying dose of the ebola virus into his bloodstream? If he ever found himself being dragged to the bottom of a swamp for a death roll with a hungry gator, would he take his last few moments to admire the rugged beauty of its prehistoric scales and teeth, or would he fill the swamp with poop knowing that his last official act as flesh will be to serve as a midnight snack for left over dinosaur? Personally, what I appreciate most about nature is that its perfectly consistent in its never-ending attempts to kill us in horrible ways. Let him put that in his pretentious eulogies ...

Best post

@The Kalmyk's wood duck FTW. They're really shy. That's a great look.
This thread has got me looking at binoculars again. Still have a couple of pretty good pair. Birding is almost the exact opposite of bike riding, but it's awesome in it's own super-weird way. I drove 10 hours round trip in Texas to get to a field on the Louisiana border that was said to be insane with Woodcock doing their mating flights. It was worth every frickin' minute on the road. It was magic. Not @1sh0t1b33r, but magic just the same.

A post on FB from Raptor Trust

Winter Storm Stella - Tough on Birds.

With the unusually warm weather in February and early March, many migratory birds returned to our area early. Then Stella arrived.

Particularly hard hit has been the American Woodcock. This Nerf football of a bird eats a diet almost entirely made up of earthworms.

With this hard snow cover, Woodcocks are starving, failing and in distress in huge numbers. In the last 48 hours we admitted more Woodcocks at The Raptor Trust than in the entire 2016 calendar year.

If you find one of these rotund worm-eaters, please do everything you can to get it into a box quickly, keep it warm, and get it to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator as soon as possible.

Having just returned from their wintering grounds in the Southern United States, the Woodcocks arrive in our area thin, stressed and very hungry after hundreds of miles of in-flight migration. That they have arrived to find no food has compounded the problem for them.

Again, if you find a struggling Woodcock, please do what you can to get it to a wildlife rehab facility.

We appreciate your help!

A post on FB from Raptor Trust

Winter Storm Stella - Tough on Birds.

With the unusually warm weather in February and early March, many migratory birds returned to our area early. Then Stella arrived.

Particularly hard hit has been the American Woodcock. This Nerf football of a bird eats a diet almost entirely made up of earthworms.

With this hard snow cover, Woodcocks are starving, failing and in distress in huge numbers. In the last 48 hours we admitted more Woodcocks at The Raptor Trust than in the entire 2016 calendar year.

If you find one of these rotund worm-eaters, please do everything you can to get it into a box quickly, keep it warm, and get it to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator as soon as possible.

Having just returned from their wintering grounds in the Southern United States, the Woodcocks arrive in our area thin, stressed and very hungry after hundreds of miles of in-flight migration. That they have arrived to find no food has compounded the problem for them.

Again, if you find a struggling Woodcock, please do what you can to get it to a wildlife rehab facility.

We appreciate your help!

F that, I'm not helping Woodcock

1245272646.jpg

What surprises me is that these birds are lacking a food supply at Watchung with the snow cover. Last week a 55 gal. drum can of worms was opened when Union County opened the floor to anti-mtb residents.

Back
Top Bottom