What Bird is This?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was xc skiing Watchung this evening and kept seeing these birds along the waters edge. I have not noticed them before, they must have migrated in.

As I was skiing I came upon one that was dead, not sure why it died...but I was able to get a good pic.
@capedoc

20170315_200249.jpg

def a woodcock. Not really a shore bird, they live in the woods and are migrating back now-maybe too soon:(
OK. I thought it was a Dowitcher but after looking at pics, Def. a Woodcock.
Yeah, I think the cold and snow caught these birds off guard. Also there feathers help camouflage them among leaf litter, they spend a lot of time on the ground looking for worms and such. With all the snow cover they are now more vulnerable to predators.

OK. I thought it was a Dowitcher but after looking at pics, Def. a Woodcock.
Yeah, I think the cold and snow caught these birds off guard. Also there feathers help camouflage them among leaf litter, they spend a lot of time on the ground looking for worms and such. With all the snow cover they are now more vulnerable to predators.
I am pretty sure I saw on of these at Core Creek on Monday. I passed it twice on an OnB and thought, I should take a picture of that thing, but didnt #sadface

Last edited:
It's kinda cool that you only see such birds at certain times of the year. Like the Baltimore Oriole. Every year around mid may when the weather is perfect I see this bird for about 2 weeks, then I don't see it again. They say the Baltimore Oriole is in NJ throughout the summer but I say poppycock.

It's kinda cool that you only see such birds at certain times of the year. Like the Baltimore Oriole. Every year around mid may when the weather is perfect I see this bird for about 2 weeks, then I don't see it again. They say the Baltimore Oriole is in NJ throughout the summer but I say poppycock.
I have only seen a handful of Orioles and I even used to live near Baltimore.

Animals are funny -- they just seem to drop down and sleep wherever they feel like it. Like just the other day, I was driving down the expressway and right there next to the divider, a deer had plopped himself down for a nap - even with all those cars going by at high speeds like that. Just right there in the middle of the highway ... I looked at my wife and said, "Yo! Check it out ... that deer is totally sleeping in the middle of all this noise." She must have thought it was beautiful there taking its little nap and all, because she didn't say anything and just got all emotional.

And now this bird is just sleeping in the snow like that ...

Man ... animals are so stupid, am I right?

what mouse us this? Found it in my dining room. Sleeping (@1speed )
DVncrvQ08LkvW5nhk1mgS4HoG4t3Wlg5c6owYe2Ph6t2Aah8uGhaA2kqd2kKmfwlub8DH3qM-rUQMWjF2GU122Bys1tPFte1rHFKtdsCSx3wMYJw_u9TiWUMamHkQBuE7q24QoGc_HVIl46_dlh-9rY7WBoqdOIShl1G4a1hpX2HyhKhL1CwqS9vTgGr0L7j0G2uacuSpsz59BY5CD8aqxSIfJyQz-36icnrqu5vVSjcYDVzRu-CYCfuv2MxqxAJ-atPHOQu-ly9lcGjpTxLBXBgFTaYmeH_hBB4nnZYZECPxe-McDtY8OcbNlaDK0gxP-b8A2EjqkHWyer_L43ooP7014vPYZwqSXW-klclvQHql_9mDMnRjlc_WplC0cwLtqa__OZhlhfxktqO8U2_aQrM2rPaqa8zqfW1tZIEOly5HS6GGY0sAf1ysZW3txe5Yc59RM5mLhfkusQpun3-kQ8U_zkkwibmW-efjhWqdd2oIe-6IUSBAY4wuQSf1CaJjgVJajOy1NtF6biF-INMTcfLrRLKg8dewDmtWK1yFGKBlszfj09kKEeXwrn6eRaPYzInovaY-ax9GSINDdc_qTQYXFju3pZM77inwyH0X3JeJqCZ57ALQA=w1601-h901-no

Back
Top Bottom