• Chain Waxing

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Not lubing your chain

• Overlubing your chain

• High Pivot Trail Bikes

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Insufficiently long headtubes for tall riders, coupled with silly-short zero rise stems.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Tubeless Sealant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flat Mount Brakes

• Headphones

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Sunglasses

• Total voters
Interesting take…. But I totally disagree.

I love the courses being more technical. Sure, fitness is still king, but having a super strong technical skill set is now a huge advantage.

Isn’t that a good thing? It makes the races way more fun to watch. And more fun for the racers to race.

Best of all, it makes the bikes much more capable. 10 years ago they were all on hardtails with 100mm forks. Now, we get 120 f/r. With slack HAs, droppers which weigh a little more than straight posts.

I don’t see a single downside to the changes XC has gone through.
You just layed out why im a not fan.....Your abilty to do a rock roller or drops shouldn't be what wins or loses you an XC race....its just not the point of XC racing....its supposed to be mostly about your fitness. I understand that without people paying to watch your sport, you have no way to pay the participants any real money.....but im just not going to say that I like it because they have added more crashing. And its certainly not unique to XC racing...They have figured out that in Nascar, most of the crashes happen when they start and stop the races....so they got rid of the long formats and made all of these short races within races....more crashes, more people watching. The jumps at redbull rampage arent getting smaller.... I get that nobody wants to watch XC racers race lewis morris.....So to me, yes, its a good thing for the people on TV....but the racers don't....They are the ones who now not only have to do all of the XC training, but now also need to practice jumping....But whatever, TV audience has to be entertained.

1711656221101.png

And the bikes are more capable downhill, not uphill. The bikes are longer, slacker and heavier....this does not make for improved uphill performance.

Ok, im not beating this dead horse anymore

In a such politically divided environment and especially during an election year I find the worst bike trend is not to have a righty fork to balance the lefty one...so unamerican! LOL!
Oh, but it is on the right side. Lots of people tell me, people come up to me and say, it's the best fork on the right side. Huge benefit.

You just layed out why im a not fan.....Your abilty to do a rock roller or drops shouldn't be what wins or loses you an XC race....its just not the point of XC racing....its supposed to be mostly about your fitness. I understand that without people paying to watch your sport, you have no way to pay the participants any real money.....but im just not going to say that I like it because they have added more crashing. And its certainly not unique to XC racing...They have figured out that in Nascar, most of the crashes happen when they start and stop the races....so they got rid of the long formats and made all of these short races within races....more crashes, more people watching. The jumps at redbull rampage arent getting smaller.... I get that nobody wants to watch XC racers race lewis morris.....So to me, yes, its a good thing for the people on TV....but the racers don't....They are the ones who now not only have to do all of the XC training, but now also need to practice jumping....But whatever, TV audience has to be entertained.

View attachment 235188

And the bikes are more capable downhill, not uphill. The bikes are longer, slacker and heavier....this does not make for improved uphill performance.

I follow a bunch of XC dudes on the gram and they’re so good at all types of riding that the tech stuff in World Cup Races are zero effort for them. Have you seen any of the monster gaps Nino and Blevins hit during training rides? It’s absurd what they huck on those death trap XC rigs 😂

View attachment 235188

Technical ability shouldnt be why you win an XC race?! If it is just about fitness you can stick to the track, even road has some technical aspects. Technical ability is what separates mtb from other forms of racing (excluding gravity). The ability to hold it together on rocks and corners and such while going cross-eyed.

I dont want to see anyone crash, want to see them rip tough technical courses.

Technical ability shouldnt be why you win an XC race?! If it is just about fitness you can stick to the track, even road has some technical aspects. Technical ability is what separates mtb from other forms of racing (excluding gravity). The ability to hold it together on rocks and corners and such while going cross-eyed.

I dont want to see anyone crash, want to see them rip tough technical courses.
Hey I loved and benefited GREATLY because of how technical the nationals course was at bear creek. And that course was hard enough that 10 years later, the MASS series used its downhills for an enduro. And I did it on a bike with a 71deg head angle, no dropper, 2.1 tires in the rain.....But it was natural tech....not this....this is stupid in an XC race. You now have to have a bike that is designed to handle the 10 seconds of the course this makes up....and then be less capable uphill as a result.
1711709816538.png

1711710059441.png

None of those prevent it, but freedom and personal preference are what drive my decision making, not other people’s opinions of my situation.

I don’t want to ride w/ buds or phones, wouldn’t be comfortable, at least to me. But am intrigued by those bone conducting ones tho, could be a nice solution.
Those are very nice. I use Aftershokz Aeroplex and can even here when the birds tweeting while listening to Cannibal Corpse.

View attachment 235188

I agree but disagree. Every sport has technical advantages, even road racing. I feel I should have a better chance racing at a place like Freestone in Mass because I ride there often and other rocky places. This may be exactly why they call Lewis Morris a "road course". I did happen to spectate at the Mayhem race this year and saw several pro racers that looked to be in great physical shape hitting trees and crashing in the mud. If you ride something more or less than someone there should be an advantage or disadvantage.

One thing I wish promoters would do something about is making courses less w/kg oriented.Seriously! If I am 180lbs vs someone that is 140lbs I should not have a tactical advantage at a place like Bear Creek. Make it fair for the bigger riders and let the little guys ride more of a power course once in a while.

Those are very nice. I use Aftershokz Aeroplex and can even here when the birds tweeting while listening to Cannibal Corpse.
got a cheapo pair on amazon to try out, if i like em then when they break will look at betters ones...haven't gone out on any solo rids since i got them so tbd on how they work....keeping expectations realistic for a $30 pair

Never paid attention to these but the batteries are going in my current earbuds. Do they interfere with glasses or a helmet retention system at all.

Never paid attention to these but the batteries are going in my current earbuds. Do they interfere with glasses or a helmet retention system at all.
I am happy with mine. This pair is about 3 years old. They are starting to slowly degrade themselves now but 3 years is great. They do not interfere with my helmet but I do get slight discomfort from pressure on the side of my head after 2+ hours.

Hey I loved and benefited GREATLY because of how technical the nationals course was at bear creek. And that course was hard enough that 10 years later, the MASS series used its downhills for an enduro. And I did it on a bike with a 71deg head angle, no dropper, 2.1 tires in the rain.....But it was natural tech....not this....this is stupid in an XC race. You now have to have a bike that is designed to handle the 10 seconds of the course this makes up....and then be less capable uphill as a result.
View attachment 235208
View attachment 235209
FWIW, there was go arounds for both of those features. Also, how sick would it be if they passed someone while jumping that feature? Maybe while doing a tucked no hander for bonus seconds?!!

All that being said, these features force a more well rounded rider to win.

agree but disagree. Every sport has technical advantages, even road racing. I feel I should have a better chance racing at a place like Freestone in Mass because I ride there often and other rocky places. This may be exactly why they call Lewis Morris a "road course". I did happen to spectate at the Mayhem race this year and saw several pro racers that looked to be in great physical shape hitting trees and crashing in the mud. If you ride something more or less than someone there should be an advantage or disadvantage.

One thing I wish promoters would do something about is making courses less w/kg oriented.Seriously! If I am 180lbs vs someone that is 140lbs I should not have a tactical advantage at a place like Bear Creek. Make it fair for the bigger riders and let the little guys ride more of a power course once in a whil
well im only talking about the world cup course....for technical NJ/Pa/NY courses....like you would never see a big gap jump in an XC course. And there is a great way to know when your race course is deemed "too technical" around here....people just dont show up.

Back
Top Bottom