Watchung Reservation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soap boxing is my job here. That and using big words. Like ephemeral.

I was riding watchung in the 80s and haven't been back since the signs went up. I was not the one buzzing horses or blind jumping onto trails. But I do not deny it happened. And do not deny this was a valid reason to close watchung given the stables. Times have changed, and it is time for discussion. That is happening, and I Choose patience because of trust in those who represent us.

I'm sure there are irresponsible hikers just like there are mtbers. I would hope they try to self police just as we do.

Soap box is not your job. Nobody wants to hear that

Soap box is not your job. Nobody wants to hear that

Ok, I'll play. When you used the last two lines of my point number two to bring your only constructive statement to this thread did you feel you added something new and ground breaking? And that you weren't standing on the top step pontificating to the starving masses?

I am old I try to see as much as I can without judgement. I state my points without calling out anyone specifically, but since you asked, I answered.

Yeah, I do break the rules in some cases. Pissing in the woods is illegal. And I don't mean a rule, it is illegal. Idgaf if people piss in the woods. Given the grande proportions of my prostate...

I don't care It doesn't effect me of riding is ever allowed in watchung or south mountain. But I have friends that do. That is enough for me to support their effort and contribute to constructive action.

thought my movie reference might lighten stuff up too. And yeah, jumping on the box and reminding everyone to be civil, and there are more than self-centric views has purdy much been taken on by me the last couple years.

Time to watch that rocket launch

Last edited:
Hey look at that....
buick in pool.jpg

Complete jackassery. Guess everything written on the internet is true.
Ok, I'll play. When you used the last two lines of my point number two to bring your only constructive statement to this thread did you feel you added something new and ground breaking? And that you weren't standing on the top step pontificating to the starving masses?

I am old I try to see as much as I can without judgement. I state my points without calling out anyone specifically, but since you asked, I answered.

Yeah, I do break the rules in some cases. Pissing in the woods is illegal. And I don't mean a rule, it is illegal. Idgaf if people piss in the woods. Given the grande proportions of my prostate...

I don't care if riding is ever allowed in watchung or south mountain. But I have friends that do. That is enough for me to support their effort and contribute to constructive action.

thought my movie reference might lighten stuff up too. And yeah, jumping on the box and reminding everyone to be civil and there are more than self-centric views has purdy much been taken on by me the last couple years.

Time to watch that rocket launch
Blah blah ok fidodie sounds good.

Just to remind everyone this thread will have zero positive impact on riding in watchung so keep going...gotta go im going to chimney rock now.

Last edited:
This thread has actually been quite valuable regarding the future of riding at WR for a couple reasons:

1. We now know there is a vocal minority of trail users (i.e. Hikeronly and "a few people he's talked to") who actively oppose our presence in the park, and we should expect to have to deal with this opposition when we lobby to re-open the park.

2. We, the local Union County MTB community (and hopefully all the local BIKE SHOPS) need to organize and deal with this issue in a diplomatic and professional way.

I and my local tax paying/riding buddies will be making inquiries at the County this week and if anyone wants to get involved, just shoot me a PM.

This thread has actually been quite valuable regarding the future of riding at WR for a couple reasons:

1. We now know there is a vocal minority of trail users (i.e. Hikeronly and "a few people he's talked to") who actively oppose our presence in the park, and we should expect to have to deal with this opposition when we lobby to re-open the park.

2. We, the local Union County MTB community (and hopefully all the local BIKE SHOPS) need to organize and deal with this issue in a diplomatic and professional way.

I and my local tax paying/riding buddies will be making inquiries at the County this week and if anyone wants to get involved, just shoot me a PM.
Check in with @KenS to get a jump start on talking points and consistent message.

This is not about me. I'm just one person posting my opinion on this website as well as the fact that biking is illegal in Watchung Reservation at this time and for the foreseeable future. I have no knowledge that anyone with whom I've spoken "actively" opposes your presence with bikes on the trails. Like I said, we're all entitled to our opinion or no opinion at all.

Meanwhile, please do not violate the law in this regard. Kindly convey to fellow bikers that Watchung Reservation is off limits to bikers unless and until the law changes, and realize that it might not change for years to come, if ever.

Well if you look at the new signs closely, to me it looks like no "road" bikes allowed which makes sense to me! Maybe they are just looking out for us MTBers and saying a proper bike is required.

img_20160812_161957-1-jpg.39287

Well if you look at the new signs closely, to me it looks like no "road" bikes allowed which makes sense to me! Maybe they are just looking out for us MTBers and saying a proper bike is required.

img_20160812_161957-1-jpg.39287

Wishful thinking on your part. The signs are conspicuously posted at entryways to trails, and apply to ALL bikes.

Well said @TonyU! I guess in that case, one could argue that ATVs are banned but it doesn't say anything about motorized dirt bikes!! If you think MTBers are bad wait till people start ripping around on a motoX bike!!!

Symbol and word parsing only work with really expensive lawyers and politicians.

having a bunch of fun with the sign, cause we always picture hikers with those zip off pant legs and a walking stick. When in reality the new norm is earbuds and sandals. :)

This is not about me. I'm just one person posting my opinion on this website as well as the fact that biking is illegal in Watchung Reservation at this time and for the foreseeable future. I have no knowledge that anyone with whom I've spoken "actively" opposes your presence with bikes on the trails. Like I said, we're all entitled to our opinion or no opinion at all.

Meanwhile, please do not violate the law in this regard. Kindly convey to fellow bikers that Watchung Reservation is off limits to bikers unless and until the law changes, and realize that it might not change for years to come, if ever.
Hikeronly, if you don't mind, please explain why you are opposed to our presence on the trails at WR. You clearly have an opinion and perhaps have had a bad experience, so please explain, so we can have a better understanding of what we are up against when we deal with the county. Perhaps you would't mind if certain trails were open to bikes and certain trails were not? This is the county's plan anyway. Not trying to be combatitive, just want to better understand your position.

Re: hikeonly, he doesn't seem like any hiker I ever encountered.

I've been hiking there lately myself. I never had a problem with anyone. And when I was riding there (up until today when i saw the signs..now thats uncertain) none of the hikers i saw cared I was on a bike. All were friendly. Hikeronly, if he is a hiker, does not represent the hikers i've seen, nor myself when I hike.

QUOTE: Hikeronly: "No sense deleting any of it as it's already been printed out. " That sounds an awful lot like a threat, doesn't it? Is this guy blacklisting folks? Or what?

It is sad that after 20 years of unfairly excluding park users from riding there, some anti-bike people can't just let it go, especially as Shorepoints (above) has said, the posited county plan is to share with mtbers.

Someday those responsible for this folly of closed trails may be called to explain how they cheated an entire generation . Part of the reason I became a cyclist in the 90s was because there were places to ride.

Last edited:
Yeh well remember, in essex co. the chairman and another freeholder left under of cloud of multiple corruption indictments.
Mr. smith went to washington it wasn't, and neither is this.

(also in essex county there actually was an argument that the law forbade mt biking, as it talked of forbidding riding where there was no paved surface, almost the direct opposite of the road/sidewalk ordinance mis-cited in Watchung...altho there was an equally valid argument that the law wasn't *meant* to apply to mt biking, as it likely predated it).

Also keep in mind the words of Pericles; although only a few may originate a policy, all may judge it. We all know there is no problem with sharing the trail. Politics is hardly an excuse for questionably policy.

i've never before been ashamed of my county gov't. Frustrated, yes. Annoyed, yes. But now, after the supposed progress we were all making.....? To paraphrase the old line, we get the gov't our ignorant neighbors deserve.

Last edited:
My guess is this isn't some high-level conspiracy but probably some lower level lethargy. I am reaching out to County Officials and will try to get it headed in the right direction. Will update if/when anything appropriate is learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom