To Hell and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group ride doesn't count....never tried to hammer that alone - will put on the aero bars this week.....(triathlon this sunday - i'm the bike leg in a relay.)

That was a fun ride - woke up at 4:00and rode to meet @clarkenstein and @michael.su +1 more in Hopewell. We head west and Dave's crank arm comes loose (he is riding single speed), so we head back to Mike's car, where a full array of tools is waiting. Then we did the up/down loop, and Mike remembered why he didn't like road bikes....anyway, we pace-lined that one pretty well for a bunch of clowns on road bikes....

So my usual method of evaluation is to check @Robin's time - if anywhere close, i'm happy.
That was fun. Have to do it again some time...
Why don't I like road bikes again?

Last edited:
Reactions: rlb
oh come on, you know you would love to ride when someone shows up 15 minutes late, forgets their helmet, is half drunk and is farting out last nights meal while you are behind them, and then has their bike fall apart within the first mile. THAT is what riding is all about.

i see a pattern emerging....

Bike, beer, etc.....

Now for the important stuff.

Century for the Cure is going by my house today - our own @rlb is on the roster. He's already made his goal for donations, but
hey, he probably could use a bump up to the next level, maybe get some nice socks....every little bit helps....

here ya go.
http://cinjfoundation.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=5206

Thanks for the shout out and especially for the donation, very much appreciated!

Thanks for the shout out and especially for the donation, very much appreciated!

YW - good cause. Nice job with your fund raising!

------

So last Sunday's jinxed mtb ride with Mike&Dave found me wallowing through simple rocks, and messing up roots and logovers.
It was a real out-of-body type thing, kindofa who is this guy driving the bike. Yeah i can't get through the monster rock gardens at SMP,
but these aren't those - body too far forward, and OTB in slow-mo, even after seeing/feeling it coming and trying to pull the tire out - basic stuff.

1. lack of confidence - butchered a bunch of CR last time - stuff that i usually ride.
2. still think about my crash 10 months ago
3. the anthem seems a bit long - the paragon seems a bit short...
4. legs didn't feel terrible
5. first move when there was trouble was to unclip, rather than balance/recover.

anyway, @Norm mentioned earlier this year, that to get faster on the trails, ya gotta ride the trails. I did not seize the opportunity, and probably
rode the least amount of off-road in 3 summers. So, it is time to do something about that.

Had a meeting in Edison this morning, it was quick, and easy. Took the opportunity to swing by @KStwenty1's house, and pick
up the fruits of his garden. A massive amount of Habanero chili peppers - and a hab+peach+mango jam. I've got some crazy
ideas, and they are going to be picante.

yesterday, Fixed the 29r HT, and threw it in the back of the truck. Took that for a quick loop around donaldson park - for some reason,
i thought that was near the rutgers environmental area - otherwise, i would have done my test in johnson park. cool little park tho, it has the
raritan going through it, and isn't far from the bay - thinking about doing some fishing off the shore there. cause i bet some serious fish sneak up the river.

so drove back to the REA, and rode around for 45 minutes. Some of the trails are drainage 'ditches' so won't be good after a rain. there is one tricky climb, but the rest is nice and fast (er, yeah)
Then did a canal side loop at 6mr. matched my pr, and had fun doing it. even left a bit of time out there with a few dabs (cleared all of forbidden red tho - the trail goes around the roots now)
Was feeling good, and of course have Chris @Schilling on my mind, so headed over to SMP. Last time I got to ride with him was there, and he and @woody were encouraging to the group
of mortals in tow. Suffered through the stuff that those guys make look so easy. Went a bit slower, and more deliberate. That provided the confidence to stay clipped in, balance, recover, continue.
When i have more time, i'll go and do repeats on the couple of sections which "i can't ride" - but know it can be done.

about 20 miles on the mtb today. i'll take it.

I'm trying to work out going to hippo cx this saturday - hope i can swing it!

I'm sure the crash is still lingering but you also gotta give yourself more credit. Water co isn't easy, and adding the fact that there was no light makes it tough. I was fumbling all over the Sourlands this morning. No over the bars but it was far from smooth in spots. I gotta put my bar light back on.

I'm sure the crash is still lingering but you also gotta give yourself more credit. Water co isn't easy, and adding the fact that there was no light makes it tough. I was fumbling all over the Sourlands this morning. No over the bars but it was far from smooth in spots. I gotta put my bar light back on.
I had a lot of trouble seeing at water co too with my bar light dead. I really need the wide beam of it for peripheral vision in the rocks. A lot more leaves down already than I expected too. Then I said F-it and blew up both tires :D

I ate shit at water co twice last night, full OTB, tagged my helmet on the second one. Sometimes you rock the rocks and sometimes they rock you. So it goes.

I had a front row seat for this...Coincidentally, Larry E ate shit on the same exact rock a few weeks ago, as well as my self not too long ago. Something about that particular spot.

#hippocross

cat 4 - 40+
Got to the venue around 8:10, for the 9:50(?) start - ran into @HeavyMetaLance and @Robin walking in. They were relaxed, which means everything was going smoothly - this is good.
Nice crisp morning, not cold. Didn't bring any "warm" clothes, but was amazed at the number of people wearing pants/sweatshirts...were they cold or did the know something? Oh well, don't overthink it. Dropped my water bottles and "podium shorts" near the pit, pinned on my number 64 (i'm very happy that i have a perfect power of 2) - Did a few warm-up laps, one with Kerri (aka @YoBikeLady) and chatted with a few others.

If you were there early enough, there was a tire field in one of the straights, with 2 lines through them - I think this was abandoned for all the races. Good move.
Other interesting features were a couple "water bars" built into an uphill. maybe 3" of step up. This made it very easy to identify the roadies. Some animal bones left
on the course (marked of course) - switchbacks across a hillside, and a really nice up/down/up/down along the fall line at another. Great views for spectators and our MC @seanrunnette.

Anyway, watched the cat 4 race, and didn't think the lap times were unreasonable. Lined up to race, and took my back row position. This is fine, as i wanted nothing to do with a full power start.
At the waterbars - about 60 seconds into the race i was DFL. That changed quickly - pass about three that ended up unclipped. probably passed one person on each of the downhill to uphill 180s. Even got someone
through the barriers! On the second lap, I started catching a few that had blown up from going out full-on. This was nice, as i was feeling "bad in a good way". At the up/down/up/down the front of the cat 5 field caught me. I let a couple through. This lead to a long downhill passing by the mtbnj tent. Heard some encouragement to stick with the traffic. Decided on an outside line through the next 180. There was some lose dirt, and i got a little drift/chatter that scrubbed a lot of speed. Someone from the cat 5 field carried too much speed for an inside line, and planted his front wheel into my derailleur. Didn't know it at the time - as the chain was skipping, and i'm trying to find a gear that works. That would end up being 1st gear, but there is still a click - i'm thinking busted spoke. Still diagnosing, and waiving people by, i get to the pit (passed a couple people on the downhill turns again)

Look at the back wheel, check the spokes, nothing. Look at the derailleur, and it is in an odd position. Go to bend it back, and it comes off in my hand. Broken hangar. The official working the pit looks at me and asks if i have a pit bike. There is only 1 other bike in the pit, and it ain't mine. Race over. The phone also didn't time my race lap, for some reason it was paused. not sure what happened there. Will put the mtb in the pit next time.
Suspect a lower mid-pack finish would have been doable. Need to compare the c4/40+ to the 50+ times - seems the fast peeps in 50+ were really fast, but the rest of the field was filled with more like minded racers. That and the field coming from behind was 60+ and fat bike.....

Great to get to say hello to everyone, and meet a few more people from the board.

Laps at 6MR today - Orange anthem, BMS roadie jersey. 830 rt27, 9:30 canal, 10:30 rt 27, 11:30 canal, then whenever.
this will be a casual pace, with a few stops.
bring bug spray and peaceful attitude. admiring wildlife found in/around trail will be encouraged.

One hour pace to go end to end? I'm
Laps at 6MR today - Orange anthem, BMS roadie jersey. 830 rt27, 9:30 canal, 10:30 rt 27, 11:30 canal, then whenever.
this will be a casual pace, with a few stops.
bring bug spray and peaceful attitude. admiring wildlife found in/around trail will be encouraged.

that doesn't seem like a casual pace, it usually takes me much longer than 2 hrs to do the loop

One hour pace to go end to end? I'm

that doesn't seem like a casual pace, it usually takes me much longer than 2 hrs to do the loop

i was planning on using some of the short cuts to ride the stuff that is typically skipped (or skip stuff i usually ride?), and shorten the loop a bit.
used 'black' , and 'red'. didn't make it to the canal in the morning loop - time constraints. but made it over around 11:40.
place was starting to see some people - was in the parking lot in rt 27 lot when it started to drizzle. bring the rain, in the traditional sense.

in the end, you were right, being casual took more than an hour each way.....

https://www.strava.com/activities/402858073/segments/9657686416

in the end, you were right, being casual took more than an hour each way.....
500px-Wut-babka.jpg

casual, you know, stop and look at the pond. stop and pick up the trash, stop and shoot the shit.
and 10 minutes to cross south middlebush in the morning rush.

Closed out September with a road ride in North Jersey. Chester, Gladstone, Far Hills, Mendham, Flanders.
Couple hours, and again a casual pace. Very conservative on the downhill with the water and leaves. Tried a few of the climbs at my usual (slow) pace. By the end of the
loop, the 6+ hours in the saddle over two days was starting to take its toll, on my butt! Legs felt ok tho. I really like the pennbrook climb (jacob's ladder) - may try to improve my time on that one.

Orthogonal to Yesterday - best part of ride: Started with 10 miles of downhill!

I have a golf outing today. and booked a golf trip with some of the college friends for a month from now. i really don't like
golf all that much anymore, and never practice. guess i'll need to hit the range a few times.

Its October. Welcome to fall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom