This pedal vs that pedal, which to buy

YouRang87

Thinking about getting some new pedals soon. Currently have shimano xt pd-785 the "trail" pedal but I don't want the tail anymore. So I was simply going to get the pd-m780 but shimano just released the new XT M8000 ohhh fancy. More surface area and all that BS. But these cost as much as XTR's, based on the older XT pedal. SO NOW, XT pd-m8000 or XTR pd-m9000??

I have been using the same pair of 520's for almost 8 years.... had to tighten the inner shaft once to get rid of some wobble but other then that they are great. But then I do not race or ride rocks....

I had always used Shimano pedals and had zero issues. A year ago, I bought some Crank Brothers Egg Beaters pedals and love them just as much!. The CB pedals have a bit more float, never get packed with mud and are a snap to clip in with.

I have been using the same pair of 520's for almost 8 years.... .

I get the 520s when they are on sale (can get them for as low as $25 online). last YEARS. zero issues. while i can understand why people would pay more for good wheels, better brakes, nicer frame, etc. etc., I cant really understand why people would pay more for pedals (let alone $420....just crazy) but hey, its their $. of all the upgrades I would like to make someday, pedals aint one of them. the 520s do what I need.

Thanks guys, I have shimano on other bikes and one pair of kicks so I'd like to keep it in the family. The price between the pd-m8000 and m9000 are the same where I'm looking. It's either brand new xt model bragging about 7% more effeciency and 3mm wider or the tried and true xtr based off the older xt. Hmmmm new and wider or great and light...WWMTBNJD

I'd go with great and light if I were you, but it depends on the application. I ride XC pretty much exclusively, and so I look for lightweight, especially in rotational components. I love the XTRs -- simple, practically bomb-proof, and if you keep them clean and all that, they will probably last you many years. But at this point, the XT pedals are at most only marginally different. If you can find a decent price on either one, you won't go wrong.

Anyone here ever kill a pair of Shimano pedals?

I have no idea what I did but one pair of Shimano 520s I have the left had play in the bearings (not a huge deal) and the right side has some sort of screwed up defect where they click like hell when pedaling like the cleat slightly pops out. Thought it was the BB or crank arms and finally nailed it down to the right pedal.

I don't even think they are a pair that I have a lot of miles on. I've got a mix of 520s/540s/980s on my other bikes and no issues except that one pair.

I had a pair of XTRs that lasted about 2 years until they fell apart. Shimano rebuilt them under warranty, but it took so long to get them back, I switched to XT in the meantime and have not looked back. XTRs are still in the box, and XTs show no signs of failure.

+1 for Shimano warranty, although I think it is 3 years for the XTR product line (and 1 or 2 years for XT and lower).

Anyone here ever kill a pair of Shimano pedals?

I have no idea what I did but one pair of Shimano 520s I have the left had play in the bearings (not a huge deal) and the right side has some sort of screwed up defect where they click like hell when pedaling like the cleat slightly pops out. Thought it was the BB or crank arms and finally nailed it down to the right pedal.

I don't even think they are a pair that I have a lot of miles on. I've got a mix of 520s/540s/980s on my other bikes and no issues except that one pair.
520's die eventually but considering they cost $30-$40, who cares.

520's die eventually but considering they cost $30-$40, who cares.
They're $23 now from England. Crazy cheap.

I'm just confused why I had one pair that seemed like crap, especially with a weird failure. They seem like a bombproof pedal otherwise.

Of course since they're so durable I put them on my touring bike where it counts, and that's where I had the issue...

They're $23 now from England. Crazy cheap.

I'm just confused why I had one pair that seemed like crap, especially with a weird failure. They seem like a bombproof pedal otherwise.

Of course since they're so durable I put them on my touring bike where it counts, and that's where I had the issue...
rip touring bike

This new pedals are going on the cross/gravel/dirt road/ grind bike. The old XT "trail" pedals are going on the Mtb as I can't get past the thought the "trail" pedals with the extra platform and surrounding was just straight up overkill for the cross/gravel bike. IM ALMOST tempted to put pd-a600 on this cross grinder as I have them on my road bike but I'm not sure how they would handle serious mud. "They're a one sided entry super light road pedal that uses Shimanos 2bolt spd" instead of the spd sl. Just not sure how they would handle muddy conditions this winter while "grinding". Hmmmm a serious curveball

Back
Top Bottom