The Toughest Road Climbs in NJ

up Middle Valley to Zellers tho!

Seems to be a bunch up around High Point....

Here's a strange one.

Who is this Ryan H guy ;)

I see they nailed the elevation....

Middle Valley to Zellers is good. I always cringe on that steep corner. So much could go wrong there, going up or down.

Lol that GWL TPK is a funny one. It's not even a climb. There's a lot wrong with that segment.

Going up warwick turnpike, just off that segment is a good climb. It's not a must do, but decent if you're in the area.

@goodvibe

This is a slightly modified version of the Tour de Long valley metric that starts in a park in Flanders. Only adds a few miles to the full loop. I don’t advise riding this loop when it’s 90F out like I did back then and I haven’t tried it again since then but this seems like it could be a good option for your training.

I have a friend that did Haleakala a few years back and he said the same thing about brining a windbreaker/rain jacket and gloves and a hat. Nearly froze his hands off coming back down. Oh and make sure you ask the shop to install new brake pads on the rental 😁

https://strava.app.link/LIwoq2bsOpb
1651852711994.png

Mountain top on the other side does kind of make up for it.
That switchback up mountain top is silly. Then you get past it and you realize how much further you have to go.

I was doing hill repeats years ago on pt mountain and mountain top. I saw a huge bear just as I was going to turn around to go back down again. I decided to keep climbing. that hurt.

I had a teammate that did Mauna Kea last year. I think it was 7 hours of climbing. Can’t wrap my head around that.

The nastiest climb I know in the area is devils kitchen in the catskills, but climbing bear mountain from 9w is probably a lot more convenient.

I had a teammate that did Mauna Kea last year. I think it was 7 hours of climbing. Can’t wrap my head around that.

The nastiest climb I know in the area is devils kitchen in the catskills, but climbing bear mountain from 9w is probably a lot more convenient.

I will add Berme Rd Park dirt climb into witch hole. Its approx. 450ft of climbing per mile and is about 3miles long.

Eat your heart out with some repeats... 5x1400’s

For a minute there, I thought everyone forgot that this thread was about a single, continuous climb.

The issue with most climbs IMO is that you are doing it a narrow shoulder, going super slow, and with cars whizzing by. I don’t know how anyone has time to think about how tired they are on most of these climbs. I will say that I had done about 7 miles before starting up 23 south to High Point. Despite stopping at the bottom for an emergency vet call, it was a very easy climb to the top. All riding done in the safest way possible, which was against traffic on the 3 lane. A nice pedal up to the monument, then back down to the milford bridge. Point being, the climb up on 23 north is much more difficult and dangerous.

For a minute there, I thought everyone forgot that this thread was about a single, continuous climb.

The issue with most climbs IMO is that you are doing it a narrow shoulder, going super slow, and with cars whizzing by. I don’t know how anyone has time to think about how tired they are on most of these climbs. I will say that I had done about 7 miles before starting up 23 south to High Point. Despite stopping at the bottom for an emergency vet call, it was a very easy climb to the top. All riding done in the safest way possible, which was against traffic on the 3 lane. A nice pedal up to the monument, then back down to the milford bridge. Point being, the climb up on 23 north is much more difficult and dangerous.
Long, slow, gradual is ideal.

Most of the climbs by me (zellers, iron bridge, fiddlers) and all 10 ish minutes but all are steep AF. But there’s no traffic which is nice to not worry about.

I just made a loop I've been thinking about doing for a long while. Check it out. It's basically just up and down all of the schooley's ridge(extended Leb52?).

I just made a loop I've been thinking about doing for a long while. Check it out. It's basically just up and down all of the schooley's ridge(extended Leb52?).

That's an impressively painful looking loop. Back when I was in better climbing shape I would have loved the challenge of that but now...

I ride a lot of the Flanders/Schooley's Mountain area climbs on a regular basis so maybe I'll do an abbreviated local version of this at some point.

That Schooley's ridge is my local favorite. Many of my rides are some sort of abbreviated version of that map. HTT ends with MV/Zellers, down the other side than up Mt Lebanon Rd. for a final bought of torture. Mt Lebanon is tough even on fresh legs.

A surprise tough climb that not many know about is Drakestown off of Naughright down to 46 and back up. Make sure you stop at or before the stop sign or you will be killed. Rt 46 is two lanes in one direction with zero shoulder at that point. Road itself is nice and quiet. You get a nice preview of the climb on the way down.

That Schooley's ridge is my local favorite. Many of my rides are some sort of abbreviated version of that map. HTT ends with MV/Zellers, down the other side than up Mt Lebanon Rd. for a final bought of torture. Mt Lebanon is tough even on fresh legs.

A surprise tough climb that not many know about is Drakestown off of Naughright down to 46 and back up. Make sure you stop at or before the stop sign or you will be killed. Rt 46 is two lanes in one direction with zero shoulder at that point. Road itself is nice and quiet. You get a nice preview of the climb on the way down.

That’s a brutal one for sure. That would be in that loop for sure if it wasn’t for the 46 issue.

Back
Top Bottom