The Toughest Road Climbs in NJ

This loop is an annual, middle of July tradition of mine since 2013. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28032061

Year one: I was planning a loop near my wife's aunt and uncle's place in Holland Twp, and wife took the computer from me since she knows the area really well having spent a bunch of time there growing up. Based on the route she threw together, wife hates me knows that I enjoy climbing the same hill from every possible side.

This year: I flatted (front) shortly after Goritz Rd. turned to gravel. Sidewall cut. New tube, booted tire, back on the move.
Flatted again (rear) farther up the same road, sidewall cut. New tube, booted tire, back on the move.
Super happy I wasn't running these tires without tubes. Road tubeless seems dumb to me. I think I'm done with French tires and headed back to German tires.

Anyway, there are a few hills on this route. I figured it was about time I shared it. There's convenient stop for food and drink around the halfway point.
Because the loop is so stacked, it can be easy to get mixed up if you don't have turn by turn on.
Also, because of the shape of the thing there are a bunch of options to bail if you need / want to.
Mile 43.5
38.2%???
:dead:

Hypothetical question. If you were to do the Everest Challenge in NJ, what climb would you choose?
Guess you mean this? Interesting.... no sleep.....
https://everesting.cc/the-rules/

High Point: Rt 23 west from Sussex -- about 1100 vertical feet -- but that's over a distance more than 8 miles, at an average grade of only 2.5% - (even the upper 675 vertical ft section is only 5% grade).

27 times with the 16 miles back and forth, 432 miles, hahaha
Coming from Port Jervis seems like a shorter option, but still going to be about 300 miles total

This looks like a good option, but not sure of the mileage, think the key is a safe road with no stop signs or lights
Barry Drive / Barrett Rd [ map ] has 780 vertical feet (not broken up by intersections), at a significantly steep 9% grade.

Guess you mean this? Interesting.... no sleep.....
https://everesting.cc/the-rules/

High Point: Rt 23 west from Sussex -- about 1100 vertical feet -- but that's over a distance more than 8 miles, at an average grade of only 2.5% - (even the upper 675 vertical ft section is only 5% grade).

27 times with the 16 miles back and forth, 432 miles, hahaha
Coming from Port Jervis seems like a shorter option, but still going to be about 300 miles total

This looks like a good option, but not sure of the mileage, think the key is a safe road with no stop signs or lights
Barry Drive / Barrett Rd [ map ] has 780 vertical feet (not broken up by intersections), at a significantly steep 9% grade.

See my thread for the actual numbers on this. It's 190 miles and 18 repeats.

Hypothetical question. If you were to do the Everest Challenge in NJ, what climb would you choose?
High Point comes to mind since there are wide views to look at rather than a tree tunnel. There are probably better choices though. Who am I kidding, I probably wouldn't be looking around much. You?

Mile 43.5
38.2%???
:dead:
Wow, that's why it sucked. Seriously though, that has to be an error right? Be right back I need to go ride it again.

In honor of short but steep, Skinner road in Glen Gardner is ridiculous. Steepest pitch (according to Strava) is 31% and it climbs 270 feet in just under 0.4 miles.

Yep. I’ve done this climb many many many times. It’s so short that the steep part doesn’t hurt that bad, but the rest of the climb is shit.

I have a top 5 on the steep but like 32 on the whole thing.
2F6A189B-2336-4467-B0CE-08CF97F18116.jpeg

So, I am planning on doing Haleakala climb in June and I want to start preparing. Looking to do 5000-8000 foot climbing days in increments of 50ish miles to prepare. Any thoughts in good loops within an hour of Union County. I have a friend who said the climb to Bear Mountain is the closest equivalent of the climb and I plan on doing repeats up there. Any suggestions of training loops?

I really like this one. I will be doing this in the next week or two. I did something similar today. Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom