The death of the 26" bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titus Racer X 29er Custom on Steep and Cheap - $2199

Don't know if this is a good deal but SAC has Titus Racer X Custom 29ers in S,M,L and in 4 defferent colors. I think there's only like 1 in each size and color. It says it retails for $4099.

Wheels....

how are 29ers on steep declines? the reason i didnt get one was cause of the higher center of gravity, and well 29ers lack suspension travel.. it seems like if you ride 6 mile 29ers are great but what about droppin off steep rocks or drops, or technical declines?

My huck'n friends have been breakin wheels and spokes... But then the manufacturers like that too....

Center of gravity should not be a concern. Yes it is higher on a 29" bike but remains in proportion to the rest of the bike. The 29r's wheelbase is longer so stability, regarding center of gravity, on technical descents should be relatively the same as a smaller wheeled bike.

Yes, I do recall a feeling of being higher off of the ground. It has never been a problem.

center of gravity is effectively lower on a 29er actually. the bottom bracket, which is the basis for your center of gravity, is farther below the plane of the axles, which creates a much more stable feel. i'm sure there's a physycist on here somewhere who could explain it better. it has to with centrifigal force and gyroscopes, which taste better when you pronounce it "yee-ro-scopes".

in 3+ years of riding 29ers like an idiot, i've only had to true a wheel once. i broke one spoke due to a branch getting caught in the rear wheel. i was riding downhill, on a paved road, heading home from work. i saw a large, branchy limb laying across the shoulder. the 'trunk' of it was only maybe a foot off the ground, but the dead branches rose up to about three/four feet. i thought it would be sweet and rad if i bunnyhopped over the 'trunk' and then through the dead branches, breaking them with my awesomeness. it totally worked, except for the broken spoke. i rode the bike two or three more times after that with the broken spoke to no ill effect.

i jump off of everything i see and try to jump onto everything i shouldn't.

i envisioned myself in that scene from the tread: the movie, where that dude is riding around on railroad tracks in a black skinsuit(i think it was tomac) and he jumps of some random ramp through a bunch of man made fog and does a turn bar. it might have been the greatest moment in mtb history, and iw as merely trying to emulate it in my small, insignificant way.

i was picturing a gleaming the cube style stunt, like at the end when they were skitching at highways speeds, going under a tractor trailer and then jumping the entire freeway with a sweet method to get the bad guy type awesomeness.

that would've been sweet too! i'm definitely gonna keep gleaming the cube in mind for my next ride.:getsome:

i was picturing a gleaming the cube style stunt, like at the end when they were skitching at highways speeds, going under a tractor trailer and then jumping the entire freeway with a sweet method to get the bad guy type awesomeness.

that truly was pinacle of main-stream skateboarding awesomeness. no one could ride or method-into-bad guy a diamond-plated board like christian slater.

that truly was pinacle of main-stream skateboarding awesomeness. no one could ride or method-into-bad guy a diamond-plated board like christian slater.

agreed. It certianly topped police academy 4, and that had the majority of the bones brigade in it! Either way, I love seeing tony hawk as a goofy-ass kid.

i was actually going to make an animal chin reference but i didn't know if anyone would have gotten it. ok, so since the death of the 26er thread has offically died, derailed and de-constructive informationed (right about after the second post on page one), can you name all these guys WITHOUT using the googles? i actually still have my board, ready to roll, in the garage of the guy on the far left. skate or die man!

bonesbrigade02.jpg

Last edited:
i was actually going to make an animal chin reference but i didn't know if anyone would have gotten it. ok, so since the death of the 26er thread has offically died, derailed and de-constructive informationed (right about after the second post on page one), can you name all these guys WITHOUT using the googles? i actually still have my board, ready to roll, in the garage of the guy on the far left. skate or die man!

bonesbrigade02.jpg

Animal chin is one of the best skate movies of all time! I have it somewhere...That ramp at the end was crazy for that time. Man, that brings back some really good memerioes. I think I am going to do some skating tonight....That shirt cab has on in the pic was my first deck....powell had the coolest design back then....

i loved the cab decks, they brought the full-on awesomeness. mike v's deck was also tremendous. actually, all of the powell decks were lustful. so, for those playing at home, from left to right:

mike mcgill, tommy guererro, tony hawk, steve caballero and lance mountain. the mcgill is in my garage, outfitted with indy trucks and...i had to check, electric blue street bones. rippin'.

i've been thinking about going up to the park in randolph and hurting myself trying to do blunt stalls on the mini ramp. actually, it would be hysterical to film it.

jake, rt 15 should still have a box of old skate stuff from the 80's. including long bridge bolts, which are impossible to find anymore, all sorts of bumpers, risers, some old trucks and i believe wheels, and last time i was there, hot pink, hot green and hot blue grip tape.... just in case you need any supplies for your attempt at killing yourself. :popcorn:

seriously?? hell, it'll be worth blowing myself up at the jefferson diner just to see what's in that box. i should bring my old tom groholski back to life. now THAT was jersey old skool.

groholski356.jpg

yep. might want to call and talk to fred first though to see if it's all still there. not sure if mike or bill or whoever else would know where it is. they used to be a skate/bike shop up untill the early-mid nineties. when i was working there at the turn of the century, there was a big 3' x 3' bones brigade fabric banner on the far back wall by the crapper.

last i remember the trucks and wheels were in a milk crate in the 'boiler' room, and the assorted hardware was either in a drawer beneath the grinder or back near the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom