The Base-In-Your-Face Online Winter Race

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Want to get your base miles in this winter? Here's the online race for you.

Objective:
Score as many points as you can. Person with the most points wins.
Start Date: 12/23/11
End date: March 1, 2012.

How to Score Points and the Rules:
Round Two - Scoring Points as of 1/17/12:
Road: 1 point to ride at all - any time, any temp, any duration on the road (no speed bonus).

Dirt: 2 points to ride at all - any time, any temp, any duration on dirt. Roubaix doesn’t count. Riding a mtb on the road doesn’t count as dirt - that's still road. Riding a mtb on the road to a park counts as a dirt ride as long as you get in a good ride at that park. What’s a good ride? We’ll figure that out as we go.

A ride is an hour of elapsed time mostly moving. Exceptions to the hour rule are bike crashes, and mechanicals. Commuting counts as one ride and only gets you one point for the day only (ex: to work and back = 1 point, another ex: to a destination, or 17 stops and back = 1 point).

Additional points will be added for each ride according to the following:
Road darkness: 1 point for every hour riding in the dark, morning or night on the road. Bonus is capped at 3 hours.
Dirt darkness: 2 points for every hour riding in the dark, morning or night on dirt. Capped at 3 hours.

Tiered temps:
1 point for every hour spent under 32 degrees in outside temp road or dirt. 1 more point for every hour spent below 20 degrees outside. 1 more point for every hour spent below 10 degrees. Capped at 3 hours.

Work points:
1 point if you ride the road then have to go to work without going back to sleep (no ride, nap, work).
3 points if you ride on dirt then have to go to work without going back to sleep (no ride, nap, work).

Precip:
Road: 2 points for riding in precip (rain/snow/mist/crap) all conditions but snow. Rollers and trainer time can be substituted for snowy roads. This isn't hourly, so 1 hour of precip or 3 hours pf precip gets you 2+.
Dirt: 2 points for riding in snow and only snow (I'm not going to encourage riding in bad conditions, so if you ride in the wet cold mud, no extra points for leaving ruts). This isn't hourly, so 1 hour of precip or 3 hours pf precip gets you 2+.

Tiered time:
Road: 1 additional point for hitting the two hour mark. 1 more additional point will be awarded for hitting the three hour mark. No additional points will be awarded after the three hour mark.
Dirt: 2 additional points for hitting the two hour mark. 2 more additional points will be awarded for hitting the three hour mark. No additional points will be awarded after the three hour mark.

Park points:
Ride two different parks within the same week (Sunday to Sunday is a week) and you get two points. Ride three different parks within the same week and you get three additional points. Ride 6 parks in 7 days (7 days in a row that is) and you get 10 points. A park is determined by the flags on the MTBNJ.com trail directory and by the monarchy. So Deer Park is a different park from Mooch North. Different parking areas do not make a different park. Yes, a mattybfat-triple-parker™ will get you 3 bonus points.

Road distance points:
Since the mtb'rs get park points, roadies get distance points. 2 bonus points for hitting 50 miles, 2 more for 75 miles, and finally 3 more for a century.

Double Days: These are days where all points are doubled for riding. They are:
December 25th
January 1st
January 16th
January 27th
February 2nd
February 8th
February 14th
February 20th
February 26th

and...

The total cap - no more than 15 points awarded on any one day, except for double days, which will be 30 points.

Points will be awarded for very entertaining posts, obscene gps files, and other random stuff. Since this an online race, we'll need some recaps and banter. If you add to the fun, you get a point. These points will be tossed out at the discretion of the site owners, mgmt, or if suggested by fellow participators/online hecklers. Think of it as a cross between sprinting in the Tour de France, Who's Line Is It Anyway? and Paydirt.

Rules:
You'll need to be prepared to document your ride somehow. We'll go on the honor system generally. If you want to post your ride with a link to your GPS, go ahead but it is not necessary all the time. There is also an honor system for the riders who are without a GPS, but for example, if you're going for a temperature point, take a picture of a thermometer or screenshot your smart phone. You don't have to go nuts posting this crap because no one will really care but if you claim it was a 4 hour 20 mph avg speed ride in 4 degrees at 3 in the morning, you can be called out on it and will need to provide proof.

This is for fun, so rules and points will be flexible.

Post your ride details in this thread and I will keep score.

Prizes:
Winner will get the dumbass trophy I will make for this, and will also get a bottle of the elusive 120 minute IPA (I have some in my possession), and for the underage and non-drinkers it will be 4 fresh avacados.

Bad Cop's First Rule of Safety & Responsibility

Anyone who rides trails in the rain, or roads when it snows/sleets shall be subject to no points in the game for that day. In no way do we want the safety of the players or the condition of the trails to be compromised. The point is to have fun, and not to risk ourselves for the sake of a big, albeit good, beer.

The Running:
jimvreeland - 433 points last update 3-01-12
stb222 - 350 points last update 2-29-12
UtahJoe - 273 points last update 2-23-12
Norm - 260 points last update 2-20-12
soundz - 217 points last update 2-29-12
wonderturtle - 208 points last update 2-29-12
jmanic - 218 points last update 2-29-12
kush - 207 points last update 3-01-12
Pagliacci - 206 points last update 2-28-12
Arwen's Mom - 185 points last update 2-29-12
cylcopath - 162 points last update 2-15-12
gtluke - 153 points last update 2-06-12
lancerracer - 165 points last update 2-28-12
woody - 142 points last update 2-06-12
bonefishjake - 95 points last update 2-29-12
ArmyOfNone - 75 points last update 2-06-12
michael.su - 70 points last update 2-20-12
Chris26er - 63 points last update 1-23-12
tomv42 - 60 points last update 2-20-12
davidcarson48 - 57 points last update 2-23-12
ChrisNJ - 57 points last update 2-29-12
BiknBen -50 points last update 1-14-12
clarkenstein - 48 points last update 2-20-12
case - 47 points last update 3-01-12
soulchild - 41 points last update 1-20-12
vlkslvr - 39 points last update 1-19-12
pearl - 39 points last update 1-26-12
LD2781 - 23 points last update 2-06-12
jshort - 19 points last update 1-07-12
dc29 - 16 points last update 1-03-12
shaggz - 16 points last update 1-23-12
rlb - 14 points last update 2-06-12
shrpshtr325 - 14 points last update 2-24-12
2Julianas - 13 points last update 2-06-12
capedoc - 11 points last update 1-02-12
mtgundlach 11 points last update 1-07-12
mwlikesbikes - 10 points last update 1-03-12
fasterthanliam - 7 points last update 12-27-11
PatrickBrown - 5 points last update 2-24-12
ChrisRU - 3 points last update 12-24-11

Last edited:
Nice! I am generally agreeable with the format. Can we add the stipulation to qualify what a ride is? i.e. - an hour of elapsed time mostly moving? Exceptions to the hour rule that could count would be bike commutes, crashes, mechancials, etc.. Something to weed out riding around the block.

As part site owner I dock Fatty Matty 10 points for the first complaint.

Nice work Dave! Give yourself 2 points! :)

Personally I find March the hardest month to stay motivated.

Personally I find March the hardest month to stay motivated.

Too long it will lose luster, end it Feb 28...

you guys wanna duke it out? :D

matty, against my better judgement, i'm going back to the first day of spring. i know you're right about it losing interest, but that may be sooner than march. first day of spring is just an easy date to target.

Let's go Dave. Let's get some points on the board!
Where are we riding Friday?
:D

oh darn you beat me to it :D

how about a point or 2 for centuries (or maybe 80+ miles)

i have a very loose definition of "going to work" but i'll try not to abuse it

Last edited:
NIce work on getting this going!

Lets try one out for an example (sundays allaire ride)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/135338574

time 2:03
dist 21.2
ave spd 10.3
ave temp 26.2

So thats 1 point for the ride and 2 points for the sub 32 ave temp for 2 hours...correct?

3 points total? Can someone check my math? Anyone?

Is there a spreadsheet or something that tallies the popint up by putting in the different factors? Otherwise, just a tad bit confusing. So since I ride to work, I get a point for my hour ride in the morning, a point for commuting in, a point for running bike errands at lunch and a point for riding home!

NIce work on getting this going!

Lets try one out for an example (sundays allaire ride)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/135338574

time 2:03
dist 21.2
ave spd 10.3
ave temp 26.2

So thats 1 point for the ride and 2 points for the sub 32 ave temp for 2 hours...correct?

3 points total? Can someone check my math? Anyone?

looks good to me.

1 point to ride at all (that's 1)
1 point for every hour spent under 32 degrees in outside temp road or dirt. (that's another 2)

did a spreadsheet in excel...some time to kill at work before quiting time ;)

couldnt upload the excel file - but here it is in .pdf

pretty simple format - just have a column for each point category, a row for each ride - spreadsheet can sum up each ride and then sum up total as you go.

I'll just manually double on those 3 dates indicated if I can get a ride in

Attachments

• mtbchart.pdf
    175.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Is there a spreadsheet or something that tallies the popint up by putting in the different factors? Otherwise, just a tad bit confusing. So since I ride to work, I get a point for my hour ride in the morning, a point for commuting in, a point for running bike errands at lunch and a point for riding home!

i'll do that calc for you if you don't want to deal with it.

what you post would get you three pts - ride in, lunch ride, ride home. no extra pts for commuting. commuting is included in the 'just getting out' category. if someone has a 30 minute commute they'll still get a point even tho it doesn't cover the ChrisRU rule of a "ride".

i hope that makes sense.

How can commuting not earn bonus points? Sorry deduct me another 10 please but anyone who chooses not to burn fossil fuel should be given points besides the basic ride points.

How can commuting not earn bonus points? Sorry deduct me another 10 please but anyone who chooses not to burn fossil fuel should be given points besides the basic ride points.

Dave I hope you know I'm playing with you, I just wanted to see how far in the red I could go. I'm done...

Back
Top Bottom