Stephens State Park Conditions

I love this place - 14.5 miles of near perfection; both upper and lower and not a sole to be seen. Holy Grail trail was the only area with some slick spots, which is normal. Many little branches that seem to jump up in your derailleur.

I love Stephens also but have not been there since breaking my shoulder there. Hope to hit it soon. Went to Mahlon today. That was excellent also. Saw nobody.

went last Sunday morning and conditions were pretty good. lots of leaves covering the trails in some spots. great riding until my derailleur hanger decided to sheer off

I stayed out of the low areas and it was ok except for a few temporary lakes on the green trail. The trail by tilcon lake is very muddy and there is a 30ft section where there is stream as the lake is draining into the musconetcong river. I would skip that section altogether for a while.

Stephens was wet and a touch muddy in spots but I was out early before things had a chance to dry very much. overall pretty good.

Rode Stephens on Sunday. A big thank you to those that were out there knocking down the overgrowth along the middle Pink Maze trail.

There are approximately 6+ trees down throughout the north side of the park from this past storm.
(2-3) approximately 3/4 mile south of the Subaru (same area that was destroyed during Sandy). This will take some work as they are twisted up within each other running right on top of the trail itself.
(1) approximately 1 mile north of the Subaru
(1) on the Cooler Trail
(1-2) along the right outside loop of the Pink Maze (closest to Waterloo Valley Road). These too are a couple of trees that are twisted up within each other.

Upper Stephens along the north side of the park was in good shape with the overgrowth; only a few "hangers" out there grabbing your arms and legs. The Pink Maze needs some love with heavy growth and the trees.

If anyone is using the Maze to get to the south side of the park; stick to the middle trail....just be cautious of riders coming in the opposite direction.

The Holy Grail trail off of Continental Drive is overgrown as well; both the upper section along Rt 80 as well as the lower section closer to the river.

I'm in on the next TM session.

Anyone know the status of the lower pink maze (outside loop) it was very over grown with trees down 2 weeks ago.

It is getting overgrown. I'm actually gonna bring some clippers the next time I ride at Stephens and deer park and snip some of the overgrowth. There are also still a lot of downed trees throughout the entire park.

Anyone know the status of the lower pink maze (outside loop) it was very over grown with trees down 2 weeks ago.

I haven't been since two weeks ago as well. That July 3rd storm did some damage to the Pink Maze as well as some stuff heading up towards the Subaru Trial.

It is getting overgrown. I'm actually gonna bring some clippers the next time I ride at Stephens and deer park and snip some of the overgrowth. There are also still a lot of downed trees throughout the entire park.

There is still a bunch of clearing that needs to happen in DP; although the very heavy stuff had been addressed already. As of last night, there are three (3) trees down; (1) along the Rouge Trail down that fast section right before the stream crossing; (1) along the trail around the lake....and it's a biggin'; and (1) along the white trail about 200 yards past the first bridge going clockwise....this one has been there all spring/summer.

I'm hoping that huge angry beaver from the Sandy days will be back out there shortly to address these few trees.

The middle maze trail is 100% cleared of overgrowth. However, there are at least two trees on the lower maze and it is likely overgrown. Stay to upper and middle.

Thanks to whoever did the major trail maintenance on maze all the way through to 3 tier. Rode last night and everyone loved the new switchbacks, trails are in great shape.

If you leave from the main lot follow the white trail to you hit the 3 tier climb (strava segment). The climb is much easier and going down you can gap the last 2. Lower maze is also cleared with some new single track and includes the original "q" segment.

Thanks to whoever did the major trail maintenance on maze all the way through to 3 tier. Rode last night and everyone loved the new switchbacks, trails are in great shape.

That was a JORBA TM session organized by Steve F. There were a bunch of peeps out there this past Saturday working. It was a great day until a shovel met a bees nest. Thankful that there is no video of me running away like a scared little 6 yo. I may have yelled a bit too.

Rode the triple today and Stephens rode the best of the three, although the other two were great as well. Rode lower maze at Stephens and it is prime, with a new section that someone up there ^^^ mentioned. Everything else was perfect as well, no trees at all.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions