Stephens State Park Conditions

jpn

perfect conditions. Had one of those great rides where my feet/pedals were always in just the right spot. I love the flow of the maze trails!

it sure is dry; never seen the stream crossings so dry.

littlev21

just enjoyed a day at Stephen's. Climb up to the mulch pit from the trestle has a surprise. Just before the open grassy area, there's newly posted NO TRESPASSING signs. So I made the hard right for the (more) technical accent up to the woods road, that starts with the log crossover. There is contact info on the posted signs, and thanks to my unreliable POS smartass phone, the pictures I thought I took, I didn't take.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just before the open grassy area, there's newly posted NO TRESPASSING signs.
That part of the trail has always been private property and main reason for fresh signs is tis the season. Mainly done this time of year for hunting season. Never heard that the property owner having a problem with mtbing.

Nardo

20151019_164538(0).jpg

Little treat from my ride about a week ago. Momma and 3 cubs playing. On the white just past the pink coming from the main lot. Thanks to those who have been working on that section of the white. Climb is still miserable, but a little less so and the decent is on of my new favorites.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just got word that a group has leased the private land within Stephens, is actively hunting this 7 days a week, and has asked the MTBers no longer ride the trails within the area. Apparently, there are No Trespassing signs up although I missed them. Luckily, we didn't ride through this land during yesterday's ride.

rlb

Is there any public statement regarding this? Perhaps something that shows a map? I've seen no trespassing signs in one particular part of the park, but they were to the side of the trail. It wasn't clear if the trail of the area just off the trail was restricted.

Last edited:

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not 100% if it's the same area as what's in yellow. It's straight up from the train tressel and before the mulch pit fire road. There has been an old trail that was re-opened just before the private property which takes you around this private land.

rlb

I always assumed the yellow was private, but according to tax records its owned by NJDEP (unless there is a data error there, entirely possible). I took down the image for now to avoid confusion.

Mildly Wild

Went to Stephens yesterday. Trail around Tilcon lake very, very soft in many places. Not good to ride. Rail trail on opposite side of Waterloo Valley Rd in good shape. Maze trail mostly good but some very soft spots particularly where entering from the rail crossing. Did not even try the connector from WV Rd to Kinney as I could tell there would really bad spots in there. In general, as it is now not a good idea to ride here and with rain coming in this week, it'll be even worse.

Reactions: rlb

xc62701

I rode Stephens late yesterday to see how it was before the rains and it was awesome. Trails were firm and mostly leaf covered. Only a few minor wet spots that are usually there. Outside of that it was all nice and fun. Not sure what the rain last night did but give it a day or two and get out there and enjoy!

xc62701

Keep an eye out for dirt bikes. There's been a lot of activity on some of the most sensitive singletracks in the park which is very disturbing. Some of the best trails in the park are getting chewed up by this.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
"THE" NNJ dirtbike mecca for over 30 years. Everything there is FROM dirtbikes. Cool out, relax and ease up on the koolaid. If it's on two wheels it's friendly......3 or 4 wheels, uh, friendly but a lil dopey.....

Mildly Wild

Rode the canal trail, rail trail and Maze trail Sunday. All in very good condition. Two trees down on Maze trail - on the "lower" two legs (coming in from the RR crossing, about 1/2 mi in on the center leg , then shortly after the right hand turnaround at the edge of the woods a 2nd tree down). Too big for my folding saw.

Mildly Wild

Parked at RR crossing/beginning of Maze Trail. Rode center fork clockwise to right fork. Ground was firm with some snow and ice but easily rideable. One stretch of slick ice about 1/2 mi before end. Then rode Trestle trail about 1/2 mi into stream crossing. Much the same.

Unfortunately I encountered 5 motos coming the other way on Maze. Lead rider said "Merry Christmas" going by which I think was code for "...please don't call the park police". They were tearing up the trail pretty good even with it semi frozen. I didn't think me saying you're not supposed to be in here with those would have helped so....

alex_k

f!@k, I was there today. Usually I see dirt bike tacks at upper Stephens (and that is probably ok) but today everywhere, the lower Maze was particularly trashed :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 190

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions