Steal This Thread

Compound that if ride everyones favorite gatorskins. Those things are like ice on wet no chip chip seal roads, hence while i will never ride one on the front.

I just threw hardshell gators on my niterider because I was sick of getting flats. Same as gatorskins wet-traction?

I just threw hardshell gators on my niterider because I was sick of getting flats. Same as gatorskins wet-traction?

I am not familiar with the gatorskin wet-traction but the gatorskin hardshells are some slick ass tires. Just be careful and don't fall. ;)

Fatbikes: The one, okay 2 big problems with fat bikes is that they are heavy and they require snow, which means it is cold outside. Me no like cold, so instead of a fat bike, I go somewhere warm.

They are really pushing fat bikes to be all weather/year bikes. I've really only ridden them in the dry, around lawns, patios and bicycle service areas but I've never not had fun on one. I actually also tore one on the Marty's cross course, biggest smile I've ever had on a bike.

As for the weight, you are correct, for the most part.

This may sound outrageous but if I was to spend 10K on an all carbon everything bike it would be a fat bike. For my level of racing/riding I'm fine with a 26# MTB, 20#CX and 18# road.

(Yes I know how outrageous this claim is)

But a 22# fat bike opens up SO MANY POSSIBILITIES! All of the fun, none of the pain. I will argue that they may not make you a better rider since they are monster trucks. I actually almost want to go back to my 26" hardtail for the reason that 29FS makes me lazy.

I just got to demo a trek farley 8 with the bluto front shock. I also just just rented a 2013 Jamis dragon. The trek was on my home trails in NJ. The dragon was on south mountain in AZ.

The farley was a lot of fun. The grip was really anazing and it rolled over everything. I normally ride a 26 inch short travel fs; so riding a 27.5 I liked. Both bikes put a smile on my face. I can see why people like the fat bikes

However; the dragon felt lighter and quicker. I think riding tubeless with less pressure in the tires the ride will be better. So for now my next bike will be the Jamis I think. For where I ride it will be a good choice.

South Mountain was so much fun. Took Mormon trail up to national. The 27.5 tires really helped me get up some obstilcules. (Rocks). The Jamis climbed like a Billy goat. Descending was not too bad, just had to stand up. I can see where a dropper post is a good idea here. No I did not ride the waterfalls. I also had to walk down a few sections. I feel there is no shame in that.

So as I end my longest post to date, I hope I fulfilled the requirements set by the original poster.

Fat Matty, I go back and forth with this Fat bike thing.. One day I'm like, yeah this thing would be great for the winter snow rides and stuff and then the next day I'm like, I have too many bikes already, do I really need this?? Is it worth the investment? If I got one I would like one of the lighter ones, not the 40lb ones..
What was your deal maker to decide to get one? I assume being up North was a big one with snow covered trails for most of winter. Down south here we really get a break on that loooong snow cover..
Thanks for your input..

Oh sorry, 5th?

You should borrow my Krampus. It is way fun and it turns nicely. No one is putting much effort into 29+, but I love ut.

What I found really interesting about the place is that they sold beer in the bathroom. You walk down to this huge bathroom and off in the corner looks like a coat check room, except its not a coat check room. A dude is standing behind the counter door selling beer like a washroom attendant sells cologne. Is this a Pa thing, selling beer in a bathroom? Now they did have a bar upstairs but after I got $8 from my wife I walked back down stairs and bought a can of beer. I don't usually get the chance to buy beer in bathrooms and I'm not sure how sanitary this is but screw it, when in the Tower Theater buy a beer in the bathroom.

I don't know if it's a general PA thing, but they do that at the Keswick, too. Although not actually in the bathroom, because ... gross. But they sell it right outside in the hallway.

Growing up outside of philly I've been there many times. Last time there I took my son to see Dream Theater a few years ago. Don't remember seeing beer sales in the bathroom tho, just in the main lobby.

I saw DT at the Tower a few years ago. That's a great venue for a band like them.

I have no idea what I am talking about. The one, okay 2 big problems with fat bikes is that they are heavy and they require snow, which means it is cold outside.

One of these facts is true :D

My Fatboy weighs just under 24 pounds with 90mm rims and 5 inch wide tires, with a summer set-up it'll be under 23 pounds. As a reference, my carbon 29er dually significantly equipped is 26 pounds.

They used to be heavy or very expensive to get light. These days a 2k fat bike is the same weight as a carbon Beargrease. Even the $900 Framed Minnesota is only 34 pounds out of the box. A few years ago 2k got you a Pugsley, which is over 40 pounds.

I am of course a million percent biased as the ringleader of this wide-tired circus, but I feel like I've shown people what fat bikes are capable of outside of winter.

-Jim.

Ok, here we go. It safe to say that we ALL have come across trash on the trail from time to time. I think it's also safe to say that most of us, at one time or another, have stopped to pick up the odd bottle, GU wrapper and cast aside tube in order to keep US out of the crosshairs of the anti MTB crowd. So why is it that our fellow trail users, the "equestrians" feel no obligation to police their animals?

Don't get me wrong, I think horses are beautiful creatures. And I have NO issue with having them share the trail... But Sh*t, literally! It's just not fair to all the other trail users... Runners, bikers, hikers, kids, etc. Clearly the horses can't control what they do, but if the carriage horses in NYC can wear the poop catcher ALL day, the horses should be ok with it for the hour or so they are out on public multi use trails....no?

I ask because I'm finding more and more of it at Six Mile. I understand it at Allaire, because of the proximity of stables, but Six Mile? All I can say is thank G-D I had the fenders on the Fatbike or I would literally be full of it.....

Insert joke here. :)

Last edited:
Ok, here we go. It safe to say that we ALL have come across trash on the trail from time to time. I think it's also safe to say that most of us, at one time or another, have stopped to pick up the odd bottle, GU wrapper and cast aside tube in order to keep US out of the crosshairs of the anti MTB crowd. So why is it that our fellow trail users, the "equestrians" feel no obligation to police their animals?

Don't get me wrong, I think horses are beautiful creatures. And I have NO issue with having them share the trail... But Sh*t, literally! It's just not fair to all the other trail users... Runners, bikers, hikers, kids, etc. Clearly the horses can't control what they do, but if the carriage horses in NYC can wear the poop catcher ALL day, the horses should be ok with it for the hour or so they are out on public multi use trails....no?

I ask because I'm finding more and more of it at Six Mile. I understand it at Allaire, because of the proximity of stables, but Six Mile? All I can say is thank G-D I had the fenders on the Fatbike or I would literally be full of it.....

Insert joke here. :)

All it is - another obstacle to overcome on the trail. Bunny hop that shit and keep it moving. If you want to be creative, treat it like a CX barrier.

On Fat Bikes

I think I need to preface my opinion on bikes in general with 2 points about bikes. The purpose of a bike is almost always 1 of 2 things, and for many of us it is both. These 2 things are:

1. Fitness
2. Enjoyment

For the sake of the readership here, I think it's safe to say that we can eliminate #3, Transportation, from this list. So for many of us, bikes are for fitness or enjoyment, or both. For me, they are both. It started with fitness, and grew into enjoyment. Regardless, I think these 2 motivators are what drives most of us.

With that said, I think the answer on Fat Bikes is that they serve as a tool for either enjoyment, or fitness, or both. As far as I can tell, they are bikes. There's nothing special about them in either direction (better nor worse, cheaper or more costly, cooler or lamer). They are a bike. I have any number of bikes here, they are all different, but they are all bikes. You get on, you pedal, you go. You get fit, you enjoy. To me, it's as simple as that.

I think if you buy a fat bike with the intention of getting fit and/or having fun, then it is a worthwhile purchase. I don't think it needs to be justified with the amount of snow cover, or beach riding, or anything at all. I think the angst that people have against Fat Bikes is misguided. I think the people that overly state how awesome they are probably want to justify their purchase. I think in the end, it's a bike, a tool to your happiness, your fitness.

I really think it's as simple as that. If you want it, and will ride it, then it's a worthwhile purchase. Looking at you specifically, Matty. I see a guy who fell off the radar last winter, and by your own admission, this is the ladder to get you back on the map. I say use it, ride the shit out of it, get some fitness back and have fun doing it. And if anyone begrudges you that, tell them they can kiss your grits, as Flo would say.

I have no intention of getting a Fat Bike but I've been on this carousel long enough to know that this opinion may very well change at any moment. If someone were to give me one, I'd probably try it. I may or may not like it. I may convert to the cult of Fat Bikes. Or I may throw it in my best Tall Sean Tantrum.

So this week we have been treated with our first cold rain on Monday followed by some legit cold weather and wind yesterday and today. As a result, ridership in the strava MTBNJ group has not just slowed down, it has completely fallen off so much so that even on baby lockdown I am still riding more. This is embarrassing people, lets get out there!

mtbnjgroup_zpsf7eb2b96.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

C'mon gang, grab you winter shoes and get out there! I am going out shortly and will :cry: like an arizonian.

I rode my bike today. Monday I rode in the pissing rain, and got wet. When I went out it was wet. When I was riding it was wet. When I finished it was wet. I'd say at least half the ride was pure downpour at something like 40 degrees or so. Miserable by the end, but it is what it is. Possibly 1 of the worst days I have ridden in, likely in the top 10. Bottom 10.

Yesterday, I didn't have it in me to dress up and ride so I went for a run. I can discuss running later. I mean, I can discuss my relationship with running later. I'm sure I will but right now I won't. Because I don't want to. That's not the point of this steal. Is it a steal if I steal my own thread?

I did get dressed up today and I rode. Went to CR and cruised through, like a 1:15 ride and 25 or so in the park. I bundled up pretty good for this one. I mean, it was cold, my coldest ride of the season. So I went pretty heavy with the clothes. I mean, 30 used to be a non issue but it's been a while. Even the MTB on the road I'm tooling along at 15-20 most of the way there. It got chilly but not bad.

Today it felt like it used to, like when I was just riding through anything & everything. I think riding in the elements is a state of mind. I feel like you can just tell yourself it's not that bad and immediately you get warmer. I think the mental aspect is big in this weather. If you feel like you're going to be cold, you'll slide down that slippery slope more quickly. There's only so much you can do in this, of course. If it's 2 degrees, no amount of mental toughness will make a difference. But if you just go, deal with it, and ride, it's not as bad as you might think.

In the end, today I dressed too warmly. Going to the park it was fine. Then in the park I was overdressed, and mountain biking in any realm is going to make you work. So I sweat, then broke out on the west side and made a loop of the ride. So I ended the ride with a 30 minute road segment which was colder. But in the end, it wasn't really that bad. I think it was 30 degrees or so today.

So this week I have around 2:40 of "doing stuff". Not all riding, and none of it on the road bike. Kevin still has the MTBNJ top spot, which is all well and good. And like a fat bike, it's a tool. It's a tool for motivation. It's a tool for fun. The people who angst against Strava are just weird to me. Same as the people who angst against fat bikes. These are tools. Use the tool to ride more.

This week is your introduction to the next 4-5 months. It's giving you an opportunity to test out your gear, your process, your loops, how you deal with the elements. It's been a few years since I rode through it all. And I can't say for certain I'll brave the whole winter. But it's a good start. Keep in mind that last November I rode 3 total hours. I'm sure I'm up over 20 by now. I'm too lazy to look, but I'm sure it's more than an hour a day on average.

Keep on riding, keep on trucking, keep on doing what you're doing, and stop the angst against the tools that help the rest of us ride.

a few Normanisms of 2014

78 mountain bike rides in the coming year
Ride a loop of the Bearscat 50
Set a new record for longest ride ever

did we even find flight 370?

:hmmm:

Back
Top Bottom