Steal This Thread

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
what the hell is motivation anyway?

i just spent three days in a meeting. a meeting of everyone from my company in my group. it's one of those long meetings where people stood on a stage, talked at the group of 200 or so people for 45 minutes, showed us powerpoint slides of what they manage, and how awesome they are and how awesome we are as a company. they talked all morning, they talked all afternoon. they gave a scenarios of how much money we can bring in, how many people we can help in the future, and how we can all work harder to help get that vision.

it was a long couple days.

normally in these situations i fall asleep or struggle to concentrate on what people are trying to say to me. i hated school, and presentations just feel like one big boring classroom. but for some reason, this time i didn't drift off into daydream land. sure i doodled a little, and maybe checked my phone for whatever reason a handful of times each day, but, i was able to keep my mind on task. maybe it's because i'm exhausted or maybe i have finally 'grown up'. that remains to be seen.

this meeting was supposed to do a few things, mainly bring everyone across the globe together to meet, but also give the people who stand in front of people and talk for a living the chance to stand in front of people and talk. and they did. and they all did this with a few things in mind i'm sure, and one of them was surely to motivate us.

it didn't work. at least for me.

i met some people i work with via email and had some (too many) beers (still have an awful headache from last night) which was the highlight of the 3 days for me. but other than that, i feel no change. i am no more motivated to work hard or work easier(?)... or less hard from all the words that i had to absorb.

and it got me thinking about riding and words.

i read a lot of words on this site. pearl's, norm's, kev's, the heckler's. hell i even read utah's :p they are all different and they have various reasons of why they write, and i'm glad they do. if they didn't we wouldn't have much to read and talk about here, which is definitely a major ingredient of the glue that holds this place together. and that glue helps to motivate a lot of people. look at mountainbike mike, a fine example of what reading the posts can do. there's a lot of people on the site that can probably relate to that. reading how insane someone is for riding in absurd weather, or at absurd times helps motivate people, including myself.

but then there's the other side of the coin. when reading this website can sometimes make you feel like you are sitting in a chair with someone talking at you, and it's not motivating you. sometimes, it's even saying things that aren't even meant to be said.

in fact, sometimes, it de-motivates you. but the writer isn't telling you everything. and they don't have to.

when you are reading what someone posts about their recent rides, you're in a relatively vulnerable position. it's not a conversation, so you can't get your voice in the mix. and as a reader, you're not getting a chance to see the full story. you are only getting a chance to read what is presented. and that content is chosen, whether consciously or subconsciously; it's chosen only to the point where the writer is comfortable letting you in. so the reader is reading with a serious blind spot, with whatever insecurities they may have in their head about their own riding, all in a universe where the reader can only apply their experience/time/ability.

some might be thinking, why the hell would that unmotivate someone? and they may even be thinking of names they could call such a reader and that the reader should man up just get a set. i would hope that they too would also admit to themselves that they have most likely felt that way at some point. i readily admit i have felt that way here. sometimes, from my position i see people with oodles of free time, or the ability to ride 9 hours daily, or more will than myself to ride in the worst of the worst conditions.

it sucks to feel like you don't have the time, or you've lost the motivation to find the time, or to see that you actually don't have the time to do everything in the world that you want to do and be amazingly awesome at it. and it sucks even more when instead of it being everything in the world you want to do, its just one thing, which is ride a bike occasionally, or a lot. and when the weather gets like this, its even harder.

i can sometimes get caught in a pity party when this happens. pity parties suck out loud. they make you want to hang up the bike, or just sit and drink beer, get fat and feel sorry for yourself.

and we all know feeling sorry for yourself feels only so good. but once you start listening to the joshua tree album for the millionth time you know its time to get over it.

so why the hell am i writing this entirely too long post? its definitely not to try to take the main writers of the site out at the knees. that's not what i'm getting at. you guys please keep on writing. i enjoy it. a lot. obviously others do too. i hope more people try their hand at it too.

but to sum it up, i guess i would say this: you may be stuck in a conference room sitting for three days, listening to people indirectly tell you need to work harder and you aren't doing enough. or you may be reading a thread on this site getting a lot less motivated and going deeper into your pity party. or you may be reading a thread and getting really pumped to try your new winter shoes. but if you're ever reading the site, and you find yourself not motivated by what you're reading, and you instead feel a little sting from what you just read because you aren't doing what the writer is doing, step back for a second. i know how you feel, i am sometimes in that spot, and i'm sure others are too. if you're there, listen to running to stand still one last time and get off the couch. if you're strapping on your winter shoes, post about it because i could use some motivation. and if you just sat through what i sat through for the past three days, you'll be very happy to be back home, see your wife and kids, and have the ability to ride your bike at 4:30am in the dark and cold tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Mountain Bike Mike

In all seriousness - what you just wrote (for me at least) is super relate-able. To me, that is what brings me back to this forum. A diverse community writing about things that are relate-able and interesting to me with a common interest in biking.

As far as motivation - that is a topic all on its own. What motivates people?

Thanks for throwing this out there...

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Nice post clarkenstein! Winter is a tough time for some but motivation can be an issue year round. I think it is part of living in NJ. It seems like there is a lot os stress here. More the reason to actually ride bikes when you can.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
but to sum it up, i guess i would say this: you may be stuck in a conference room sitting for three days, listening to people indirectly tell you need to work harder and you aren't doing enough. or you may be reading a thread on this site getting a lot less motivated and going deeper into your pity party. or you may be reading a thread and getting really pumped to try your new winter shoes. but if you're ever reading the site, and you find yourself not motivated by what you're reading, and you instead feel a little sting from what you just read because you aren't doing what the writer is doing, step back for a second. i know how you feel, i am sometimes in that spot, and i'm sure others are too. if you're there, listen to running to stand still one last time and get off the couch. if you're strapping on your winter shoes, post about it because i could use some motivation. and if you just sat through what i sat through for the past three days, you'll be very happy to be back home, see your wife and kids, and have the ability to ride your bike at 4:30am in the dark and cold tomorrow morning.

The whole thing was excellent, but this especially. Well said.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
and we all know feeling sorry for yourself feels only so good. but once you start listening to the joshua tree album for the millionth time you know its time to get over it.

Great stuff, really well written. You need to goto more 3day conventions and have the life sucked out of you :D

rick81721

Lothar

Jeez Dave is this an entry into the longest post ever contest? ;)

Seriously, good thoughts. Coming up on 30 years at my current job in Jan and have sat thru more than my share of "motivational" speakers/seminars/etc. I've always found they never work for me, either. Motivation has to come primarily from within (which I think was one of your points) - and going back to riding this is the most challenging time with the cold, dark, wind, etc. I find what's motivating me at the moment is trying to get close to goals set at the beginning of the year. Not gonna make the climbing goal (it was ridiculous for my mileage) but still trying to get in as much as possible. You get out there crazy early, dark and cold so you are surely not lacking in motivation!

PS try those PI PRO softshells - really work

Mountain Bike Mike

I was motivated to not wake up and get to the trails this morning when the sun came up. The sun looked way better through my bedroom window!

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I was motivated to not wake up and get to the trails this morning when the sun came up. The sun looked way better through my bedroom window!

This is a great example. Life should be enjoyed. If that means staying indoors one day, so be it. It will only make you enjoy going outside more the next time. I do not know what it is about some cyclist, but some think that more is better, and that is not always true. Yes, it is great to set goals and try to get motivated by them, but sometimes it is not the best amount for a particular person or best to meet a goal. In order to get stronger, one needs to recover. ... and I'm no expert so please chime in coaches!

I am not pointing blame on anyone, but after racing non stop for 21 years, these winter challenges and spring training races may have pushed me over my recovery limitations. Yes, they were a great motivational tool, but I may have lost sight of my real goals, and ended up having to recover when I should have been tuning up for racing. Every person is different both physically and mentally. We all need to find balance and what works best for us.

My opinion may be overthought and more serious than your winter riding goals, but that is the point of this post. We all need to find balance while getting motivated. I hope this does not discourage anyone. For many of us, it's about getting out the door in winter. Once we are out, it usually gets better. If you head out in 40 degree pouring rain and hate it, then now you know not to do it again.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

Wow, just wow.

I've read a lot of introspective post recently and I'm continually blown away by the depth and selflessness of the authors. The willingness to share such raw emotion is , in a word, humbling.

On the one hand we have the joyful exuberance that comes from a rediscovered sport by MountainBikeMike.

On the other hand we have Norm's philosophically thought provoking style.

I think we all look forward to the way Pearl manages to even convey his triumphs ... in a self deprecating manner. Usually followed by a gentle zing from Mandi or a not so gentle zing by Kevin.

On the defiantly vulnerable/call it like it is side, I'm always moved by cyclopath's entries. I'm sure most of you could find a better way to describe them... But to me, the word I choose to use is, human.

Sh*t, I'm rambling again. The fact is Clarkenstine's post strikes a nerve with me, probably because it hits a bit too close to home.

I voraciously consume each and every post on this forum all the while feeding my own self loathing for not being capable of writing anything remotely resembling an engaging post.

I don't know what Norm intended by starting this thread, but I'm glad he did.

Dan-

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sometimes someone puts up a post that you have no reply to. This is one of those posts. Not that there's anything to do, as such. It's just that you sometimes don't want to be the one to speak after something so excellent was said. At least, this is what I tell myself when I put effort into a post and nobody says shit. Other times, I know it's because I said something useless which begs no comment. That's not the case here, not the case at all.

Clark, fantastic post and I welcome & encourage you to give more. In fact, I challenge you to try to do 1 of these a week, even if it's not so lengthy. As you have so posted, think about that you did. Sort of the exact thing that you find yourself behind when some other people ride. You look out your proverbial window and think, "Shit, I can't ride in that." Likewise, people read your post and think, "Well hell, I can't write like that."

But we can, we all can. We can all ride & write as we do. Some people eat 150 hot dogs. Some people eat 1. We all play a role in the hot dog eating race. Take what you can stomach.

As for the pertinents in your post, maybe I'll take a stab as some subset of them one day in the future. But for today, I want to say that your post was excellent. You probably make people think they can't write like you. But you should not stop yourself from posting. Just as I write when I'm out there in 20 degrees, and I can't let it bother me that some feel like it's something they cannot do.

So too do you.

Do what you do.

Do be do be do.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Happy Birthday Norm!

It is nice to be recognized. A kudos here and there for getting out of "our own" comfort zone. it is the attempt that counts....

saw an interview with an actor - can't remember who. the Q was about how did he get good. The A was something like, i kept trying until i didn't suck. and ignored the people who said i sucked when i did.....

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great post Clark. Being on a team of much faster guys, I definitely can relate. They train while I just ride. They watch what they eat and I, well, don't. They ride in the bitter cold and rain in order to get faster. Some days I find all that tough to deal with. But, overall, I probably ride more because of them then I would on my own. I think that's what's important, right?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have never written a blog post on a phone before. At least not that I can remember, though come to think of it I may have when I used to take the train to New Jack City. I'm not going to edit this. It will be a 1&done and will be autocorrected as if Steve Jobs himself had written it out from the snowy depths of 6 feet under.

Busy is a word you could use. Some people believe things happen for a reason but I feel like life is just a series of happenings and opportunities and you make the most of what you're dealt. Sometimes that includes not doing anything. Leave the lemons sometimes. Lemonade isn't actually that great. Overrated comes to mind. So I've been busy.

There's been some work and some play and some learning. A pseudo new career may be brewing and I've been working hard on that angle. I still ride and run but not in copious amounts, much to Kevin's chagrin.

I've also been reading more. I feel unjustified in reading when I'm not being productive. But now that I've been contracting again I like to read at night. I've finished 4 books this month:

The Red Tent
The Kite Runner
Lord of Light
Sputnik Sweetheart

The first 2 are money. Skip the 3rd and do yourself a favor and read Kafka on the Shore. Same author as #4 but better.

I also saw Jake and Fred and turned 43 - all on Saturday. F Iggy and his sucky golf course math. We had a party and I drank too much. I think I may still be hungover a little. We had 44 people at the house including 17 kids. It was almost like Noah's Arc in no way at all. But you get the idea.

I rode my bike today. Stupid warm. But I left my booties on because dealing with it for 1 day is easier than taking them off and putting them back tomorrow. I still don't love this frame. I feel like it's made of salt or something. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Got some good pedals for the MTB from D. She also got me some Kind granola. Since Charm City I'm hooked on their bars. Absolutely love them.

Got other good stuff too from parents & in-laws. Plus got to see bunch of friends. Good weekend. But fun is tiring and I'm still tired a bit. Which of course explains why I'm writing a blog on a phone after 11pm.

It will be interesting to see how this reads tomorrow. In the meantime I challenge anyone to write something good about the thanksgiving weekend. Anticipation or memory. It's all good.

We have no plans. We may do a 5k. Or go into the city. Or both.

Of course Humpty Dopey weatherman is already into EXTREME predictions so everyone is afraid. Buffalo have them all the green light to scare the shit out of everyone.

FOOD ALRIGHT? TRY THE WINE!!!!!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I still ride and run but not in copious amounts, much to Kevin's chagrin.

I am fairly certain I wouldn't ride that much if I didn't twerk. I mean, right now I would be shut down with babies anyways, but if that wasn't a factor, sure I would ride each day but I think nothings would ever go over 20 hours. 20 hours is a lot but there always seems to be other things to do.

I rode my bike today. Stupid warm. But I left my booties on because dealing with it for 1 day is easier than taking them off and putting them back tomorrow.

You know I find not taking the booties off (which takes, what 45 seconds?) when it is 70 degrees very amusing, in line with when you resist putting them on.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great post clark!

This is a great example. Life should be enjoyed. If that means staying indoors one day, so be it. It will only make you enjoy going outside more the next time. I do not know what it is about some cyclist, but some think that more is better, and that is not always true. Yes, it is great to set goals and try to get motivated by them, but sometimes it is not the best amount for a particular person or best to meet a goal. In order to get stronger, one needs to recover. ... and I'm no expert so please chime in coaches!

Also great post Ellen.

Motivation for me to ride in the dead of winter is pretty simple. I dont want to get fat. From age 0 to mid thirties I was overweight and im on the longest streak (4 years) of being under 200lbs, I dont ever want to go back, so I continue to exercise and diet. On my father's side of my family...my dad, his father and his grandfather all died before age 53 due to in my opinion, poor diet, being overweight, not exercising. I have no intention of having that happen to me. I just so happen to find that riding my bike is the most enjoyable way to do this. I spent years in the gym and it worked, but it got old. Then there are the other small things that motivate me....Like George making a post about the 2015 SSAP being 32 miles...gets me thinking about the 2015 season and how I want to do better than 2014, 2013, etc.....I think I have found myself a good balance of being motivated to train for races, but not torturing myself over results...having fun with it, but taking it seriously enough to stay competitive. Somedays I wish I was a super competitive person as I feel it might be the thing that would spark me to get to 170lbs, etc...but then im also glad that I can have a year like last year...flat myself out of some races and not have it bother me for days...so with this attitude and level of effort, ill probably never win the pro class, but i can live with that.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i'm with you on the lemons. if you leave a lemon around long enough, sometimes it'll go bad. then you can toss it in the garbage and forget about it. not all lemons can go this route, but you can pick your lemon battles. thankfully lemons don't have arms or legs, so they don't put up too much of a fight.

and thanks for all the kudos on the post. challenge accepted.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We try and we fail.

This is a common theme among people. We try and we fail. What is learning if not failure? We get to this point in life where suddenly, failure is not accepted and failure equates to bad. This is why a lot of people don't try (I'm happy to just be fat) or why people get upset if other people don't use what they use (I picked this and I CANNOT fail). I don't know when that happens. Why is it ok for my little girl to try at something and fail, but as an adult if we try and fail we suck?

This is not about that at all. This is about the Subaru bike rack.

A week or so ago, I went to take the hitch off for the winter. Last time, the thing rattled loose on its own, and I had to tighten it up so the pin didn't fall out and the rack didn't fly off and impale someone on route 78. This time, the thing was fused in there. I took the lock off, tried to turn it by hand, then with a ratchet, and nothing.

So I put some more force on the ratchet, and poof, it came loose. So quickly that I slammed my head on the bumper. Upon further inspection, the goddamn bolt broke off. But it broke off in a way that was just-just-just enough to prevent me from pulling the rack out of the hitch mount, but not really enough to be 100% confident that the route 78 impaling scenario would not come to pass.

So I got the drill out, and that sort looked like it might work but it would take a long, long time. Eventually I found some grinding bits and that put an end to things pretty quickly. The rack is probably not of much use now, which is fine because we plan on replacing it. This also requires replacing the hitch since the rack for 4 bikes needs to be 2" not 1.25". All these details, these specs. Why can't they just make things standard?

So I tried, failed, then tried again and got it. I broke shit, which happens from time to time. Anyone who has ever done any ounce of plumbing knows that as soon as you touch something, something else breaks. And it doesn't really even need to be connected. I tighten the faucet in the kitchen and the toilet upstairs starts to leak.

None of this has much to do with anything other than a hitch rack. But it does make me wonder why kids can try and fail and it's ok, but when adults fail they get made fun of by other adults. Well, I guess when kids fail in front of other kids they get made fun of. is it a peer thing? Do we just make fun of our peers that fail to make ourselves feel better?

I consider myself to be pretty good at most anything I try to do, with some exceptions. I'm not great at anything but I am good at a lot of things. This probably allows me to be able to do a lot of different things and not totally embarrass myself. I always kind of took it for granted until I got older and made the realization. I think in a lot of ways that also made me lazy, since I never really needed to work too hard for a lot of things. I find now that working hard is somewhat difficult, case in point learning a new language. I pretty much am not good at learning a language. And working hard at it is this totally foreign ground that I don't really like. When things come natural to me, I do well in them. It's easier to get better at something when it's easy to pick up.

I guess I'm not unique at this. But I wonder if the people who are ok at things but not naturally good at anything actually end up doing great things in life. If you are acceptable at everything, maybe you end up having to work harder to get to be good at everything, which is where everyone wants to be. We all want at least to be passably good at the things we do. And maybe those people who work to be good just keep working and end up great. While those of us who are good at a lot of things just move around and do new things they can be good at, because becoming great at any 1 thing is too hard.

These are just random thoughts. I don't know what I believe, nor does this have anything to do with anything specific in my current sphere of world existence. I just had "Subaru hitch" written in my little notebook and that's where this entry went today. I plan to do more of this. To write about random things and let the narrative go where it may. And that may be that.

But while I'm here, it does make me wonder about biking. See when I wrote the above, I was thinking back on biking and how bad I used to be. When I first started, I would do these 50-6-70 mile rides and be astoundingly slow. Like 14 mph slow. These days, I could almost literally ride one of the kid's scooters that fast. So I was not naturally gifted at biking, not by a long shot. And I guess I did work a lot to get where I am, which is yet another thing I'd classify myself as good-but-not-great. But in this instance, I went from bad to good, hitting all points in between.

So I guess from the hitch rack, the point is that if you work hard enough & long enough at something you can probably get there. We do have limitations. Like Pearl's stapling water to a tree, or my inability to dunk. But these are outliers, and I think for the most part we can get where we want to be if we put the effort in there.

But effort always has a price, be it lemons or motivation. Do you think lemonade makers go to work every day and ask: What's my motivation today?

rick81721

Lothar
But while I'm here, it does make me wonder about biking. See when I wrote the above, I was thinking back on biking and how bad I used to be. When I first started, I would do these 50-6-70 mile rides and be astoundingly slow. Like 14 mph slow. These days, I could almost literally ride one of the kid's scooters that fast. So I was not naturally gifted at biking, not by a long shot. And I guess I did work a lot to get where I am, which is yet another thing I'd classify myself as good-but-not-great. But in this instance, I went from bad to good, hitting all points in between.

I was enjoying this post until this paragraph. A 14 mph ride is a sign of a "bad" cyclist? Astoundingly slow?? Here's a ride I did last week - yeah it was cold, at night, on a heavier bike, and I did some climbing, but averaged exactly 14 mph.

http://www.strava.com/activities/219265535

I was gonna go out on a ride but now I'm crushed...

Top Bottom