Spoke-N-Nerds Podcast Thread

Oh thank god, CX season is over... Time for PODCAST!
Not exactly Vasco Da Gama territory here, new frontier-wise, but we're back, and we'd love to hear what you think is important, and worth taking some time with... Or what your favorite color is. That's cool too.
All suggestions entertained. (Beer payoffs entertaining...)
Coming up: a very special hour + with Kate Cumming and Andrew Reimann of Jalapeno Cycling.

absolutely miami vice
norm throws in an animal house reference - nice

forget Bill or his Spouse - get the kid. Ya gotta find out what it's like growing up in that house!!!

whatcha watching on 'flix or amazon is good.

Congrats on the stewart race being designated part of h2h.
The team is so pro at running events. How about a CX race with nothing above cat 3 next year? It 's a party, with some biking going on!
( pick a non-njcup day?)

didn't talk about music. Sean is in the entertainment industry, com'on man!

====================
suggestions:

interview on other talents: we've got good musicians, climbers, artists, wrenchers, etc. where do you start if you want a new, cool hobby?
-
ideas on things a medium size group can do, then pick one! and report (team building?)

Norm, were you scared @MissJR was going to come and stand on the new steps today?

---

Nice job guys - lots of fun.
thanks. i contributed to my kid's basketball team in your name.

Welcome back!

I listened to you talk aches/pains, lack of motivation while doing a gym workout at 5am....THANKS FOR THE UPLIFTING :)

I already forget the name of the show you mentioned, but I like the premise...its X and thats it...Not X + Y because X was popular, so we need to add Y to make more money.

Given recent events, does @seanrunnette (as a distinguished member of the entertainment industry) have any comments on whats going on with all of the creepy behavior that has been being uncovered? DID KEVIN SPACEY TOUCH YOU?????

FYI I use autofocus. But only in lens and only single point. If I use an old or cheap lens where the camera does the autofocus I may do more manual. It's way shittier using the camera's focus pin.

That’s because global /national <activity> Days are f*k’n stupit....with a “t”. On GFBD I rode my 29er.... the next day I rode my fatbike..cuz I felt like it. If ya need a friggen occasion to do something, maybe ya didn’t want to do it in the first place.

Stoked to have the podcast back... I mean, I have zero interest in cross but the people, observations and tangents make it a good listen.

Good listen on the train this morning... Welcome back.

Much excite for upcoming MTB stuffs.
Some random thoughts that may or not make sense or be relevant.
Re: Getting older and hurting more.... it really is a thing. More so for some than others. This year seems to have been worse for me than previous.

Thanks for the shout out. This cross season was just as much fun, if not more, than last year despite race results. Tents and hand ups make me happy. The stoke will remain high.

Endurance / Adventure races.... I think most people go into these things with zero expectations of winning, but have a personal goal in mind. Like a marathon or the longer triathalons (Ironman). You know you're not going to win, or even come close to a podium, but people spend months training for them anyway. Sometimes it's the experience. Sometimes it's just to have some goal to work towards.

Group rides. I rode at seven new parks this year not including races (three new ones) and a trip to KT. Of those seven, three of those were our Group Ride Series, two were weekly rides. Looking forward to more.

NICA.... I can't remember who was on last year, but I think @KenS @Robin BJ @muddybike would be great to hear from. Also, how about on site at one of the races with some of the kids?

TV shows.... +1 on Broadchurch, also Happy Valley and The Fall. Check out The Tunnel and Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime.

The cuneiform notepad:

079D9F3D-77A1-4263-A190-58E77ECD5F6A.jpeg

I actually listened and on the Ellen Noble topic:

Norm mentioned about racing being intimidating in general and especially for women.

Talking point (from a woman guest, ahem @Robin)
  • Does something bunnyhopthepatriarchy make it more or less intimidating for women in cross? Because now women are divided into ones that can and cannot bunnyhop the barriers. From a male perspective, I think it is both empowering to see women out there killing it but also intimidated if you cannot bunnyhop them.
  • And even though listening to @The Heckler was some short of torture (mainly due to the length), it would be nice to hear about if the UCI dream is still a motivation or the opposite at this point in his career.

Norm mentioned about racing being intimidating in general and especially for women.

• Does something bunnyhopthepatriarchy make it more or less intimidating for women in cross? Because now women are divided into ones that can and cannot bunnyhop the barriers. From a male perspective, I think it is both empowering to see women out there killing it but also intimidated if you cannot bunnyhop them.
Not many can hop the barriers at full height. Maybe the first one, but the second will be a disaster, and that's not in a race. Being 30-40 minutes (more for the pros) in at or near max HR doesn't help either. It's awesome to see anyone able to do it.

• And even though listening to @The Heckler was some short of torture (mainly due to the length), it would be nice to hear about if the UCI dream is still a motivation or the opposite at this point in his career.

from an anthropological perspective, women tend to not like to be in dangerous/intimidating situations alone. While men often seek it out.

I was 4 credits away from minoring in anthropology, so i'm totally qualified to make that statement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom