So Who Else Finds it Amusing That Fat Bikes Can't Ride in the Snow That Well?

Oh yeah, when the slush runs out of top layer this will still be great. I rode my local trails on Friday and it was difficult on the fat bike, but it would surely be impossible on a regular bike. It was like 5in of fresh snow on a slick solid base. It was really really good on the trails the snowmobile groomed. But that would have been rideable on an XC bike. the singletrack woudl have been too much for a regular bike.

So do Fat Bike excel in this heavy snow we are getting today?

According to what you and Norm consider riding a bicycle, no. But as far as we fat bikers are concerned, yes, these are good snow conditions. I rode for just over an hour around the park near my house. Was able to cut tracks in fresh snow. The thing with wet snow is that it's very "heavy" to ride through at first, feels like you're climbing a steep hill. Once I did a loop and cut the initial track the following loops were very easy.

1620915_10203055947501565_1136464249_n.jpg

-Jim.

I also rode today, on Columbia Trail. No tracks of any kind except for some covered foot prints from someone that went out earlier in the day. It was a slow going but once I got the hang of it I was able to hold a steady line/pace. There were 8" of snow. The marks you see on the side of the tire track are from the shoes dragging in the snow.

Some more pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/102893...deColumbiaTrail?authkey=Gv1sRgCOzWjo_gxcmnGw#

Attachments

• IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I started on a towpath. Some tracks were already there. Couldn't keep it straight in the tracks and the deep-heavy fresh made it a leg-burner. This spot was plenty ridable as there were more tracks and tree cover.

I took to the roads as no one was out there.

Major Hot Chocolate score at my favorite General Store.

The fatty doesn't ride through anything but it can ride through more.

Back
Top Bottom