Sliding bike storage rack

not going to happen yet I would give away my mental condition as a hoarder...so far my 3 El Mariachis are the only bikes hanging, the 10' span rail did not sag, not visibly at least, even though it's being supported only at the very ends. It's a mistery to me how two sistered 2x6 on a 16' span can support the garage attic full of car parts without budging...
Not sure what you were asking. Are you not able to figure out how to hang the track from the cieling? what do you have mounted so far?

Not sure what you were asking. Are you not able to figure out how to hang the track from the cieling? what do you have mounted so far?
Not asking anything, just a comment on the peculiar structural features of my garage...

I’ve been overthinking, overbuilding and overspending on this thing. Fasteners alone depleted my wallet, but I think this thing will outlive the garage…in fact, it may kill it! This is only part 1, a second rail is going up soon (relative term). You think it’s a tad overkill?

IMG_7740.jpeg

IMG_7742.jpeg

IMG_7744.jpeg

overkill sure, but if i had space for this setup id be building the same thing.

I’ve been overthinking, overbuilding and overspending on this thing. Fasteners alone depleted my wallet, but I think this thing will outlive the garage…in fact, it may kill it! This is only part 1, a second rail is going up soon (relative term). You think it’s a tad overkill?

View attachment 235747

View attachment 235748
View attachment 235749
Are those Park Tools rollers with hooks? Do the hooks rotate? I'm thinking about getting the 1UP USA hooks.

Are those Park Tools rollers with hooks? Do the hooks rotate? I'm thinking about getting the 1UP USA hooks.
Park Tool M10 hooks. They do rotate but are not spring loaded like the 1Up. I have to say that the rotation is not the best feature when you're trying to hang the bike on it..

rotation is not the best feature when you're trying to hang the bike on it..
Right, this is why I was looking at the 1UP one because the hook locks in place when there's no weight on it so it doesn't swing around when loading. At least I think that's how it works.

Right, this is why I was looking at the 1UP one because the hook locks in place when there's no weight on it so it doesn't swing around when loading. At least I think that's how it works.
You should really check with @Mr.Moto who purchased the 1Up setup, but from what I can see their hooks lock in place from sliding, not rotating.

P.S. it also stops them from rotating. I guess if it doesn't lock in place when removing the bike you can always manually rotate the hook to release the spring.
1.4_-_RS_Slide_Trolley_P__85930.jpg

Last edited:
You should really check with @Mr.Moto who purchased the 1Up setup, but from what I can see their hooks lock in place from sliding, not rotating.

P.S. it also stops them from rotating. I guess if it doesn't lock in place when removing the bike you can always manually rotate the hook to release the spring.
View attachment 235808
Correct. It keeps the trolley from moving until weighted but the hook can be rotated.
IMG_5430.jpeg
IMG_5433.jpeg

So my simple mind concludes that unweighted the hook will not slide on the track nor will it rotate. Perfect.
Unweighted, the theaded end is pushed up by the spring and pokes out of the top slots in the rail. It limits the sliding of the trolly. You can still turn the hooks but you are rotating them against the upper nut that is being held in place. Once weighted, the upper nut gets pulled down into the slot and it will rotate more freely.

Unweighted, the theaded end is pushed up by the spring and pokes out of the top slots in the rail. It limits the sliding of the trolly. You can still turn the hooks but you are rotating them against the upper nut that is being held in place. Once weighted, the upper nut gets pulled down into the slot and it will rotate more freely.
Sounds good. I'm just looking for enough resistance to keep the hook from spinning when I'm trying to hook a wheel on to it.

Back
Top Bottom