Sliding bike storage rack

kramonut

Thought I'd share a little project I just wrapped up. Had bikes on fixed hooks on the ceiling, but wanted to be able to move them around a bit and have them on a slider.

The commercially available systems I came across were either more than I wanted to spend or wouldn't work with my garage set-up. I stumbled across this site: https://shop.gear-blocks.com/product/sliding-bike-storage-rack/ that had a DIY version using uni-strut and hooks they sell that have little wheels on them. Took a little finagling, but the end product works really really well. My garage lighting is horrendous, but hopefully you can see how I pieced this together:

IMG_0442.jpeg

Part 2 - Update:

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of this setup as well as my wife keeps collecting bikes it seems.

Did you go with Standard, Large or a mix of hooks? I'm wondering if Standard works well for the road bikes, Large for the mountain bikes.
I went with the large hooks. If you have standard road wheels, you’d likely be fine with the smaller hooks.

My road wheels are deep aero wheels which might be ok with the standard but the larger hooks have more wiggle room. 👍🏻

Looks like a nice setup but not being able to rotate 360deg the hook position is kind of a bummer when compared to the enormously more expensive commercial one currently on the market.
Yeah, that's a bummer about the set-up...I will be picking up some hooks that go parallel since I can fit more stuff beyond the garage door rail.

I bet someone could rig something so that the hook spins in some 3d printed mold w/ wheels...It very well could be out there somewhere...

Thought I'd share a little project I just wrapped up. Had bikes on fixed hooks on the ceiling, but wanted to be able to move them around a bit and have them on a slider.

The commercially available systems I came across were either more than I wanted to spend or wouldn't work with my garage set-up. I stumbled across this site: https://shop.gear-blocks.com/product/sliding-bike-storage-rack/ that had a DIY version using uni-strut and hooks they sell that have little wheels on them. Took a little finagling, but the end product works really really well. My garage lighting is horrendous, but hopefully you can see how I pieced this together:

These bikes are like rockets. By the way, I play Rocket sometimes. Have you tried it? Try it, it's an interesting place.

Great bike rack! You probably have a lot of bikes so it makes you want to remodel your garage. Do you sell them or just ride different ones?
Personally, one bike is enough for me :)

Last edited:
Looks like a nice setup but not being able to rotate 360deg the hook position is kind of a bummer when compared to the enormously more expensive commercial one currently on the market.
Ooh thats easy.

Couple simple unistrut trolleys
Amazon product ASIN B0C78136CJ
add some park tool hooks with 5/16 machine threads
Amazon product ASIN B001P9KP8W
stack a thrust bearing on top and cinch it together with lock nuts and boom, 360 rotating hooks.
Amazon product ASIN B07VZXWSG6

Back
Top Bottom