Six Mile Run reservoir site & poison ivy farm

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Seriously, didn't go off the trail and still managed to get poison ivy on both arms & legs.

Thinking long sleeves and pants may lead to heat exhaustion & a poison ivy free death.

Other suggestions?

Tecnu. I keep a bottle in my bag and if I know I've come in contact with some, I'll use it after a ride or as soon as I get home.

I don't get poison ivy, but if I brush against the plants, my arms will blow up in welts. I'm allergic to something, maybe everything. It's pretty nasty and lasts for a day.
But anyways, I keep some technu and put a little on a towel and wipe myself down after a ride. Seems to work really well.

If you keep getting poison ivy regularly for 40 years or so, you'll eventually get immune to it

Nope. Opposite actually. The more you get it the worse the reaction becomes. You lose your ability to fight it with each contact.
I got poison ivy for the first time in my mid 30s. Now when I get it I have to go right to the doctor for a steroid shot or it goes systemic.

Nope. Opposite actually. The more you get it the worse the reaction becomes. You lose your ability to fight it with each contact.
I got poison ivy for the first time in my mid 30s. Now when I get it I have to go right to the doctor for a steroid shot or it goes systemic.

Ymmv. That's not what happened to me, I got it really bad as a kid and young adult, now I can walk through it and get nothing.

I wasnt alergic to it. But over time of exposures you lose it.
I researched it when I started getting it.

Seriously, didn't go off the trail and still managed to get poison ivy on both arms & legs.

Thinking long sleeves and pants may lead to heat exhaustion & a poison ivy free death.

Other suggestions?

I keep a bottle of Dawn dishwashing soap in my truck, along with a gallon or so of tap water. After warm weather rides, I rinse my legs and arms, soap them up with Dawn, then rinse again. While Dawn isn't great for everyday use as it strips your skin of natural oils, it does the same for the oils emitted by the poison ivy leaves.

Fyi, poison ivy vines grow up tree trunks, and branch outward at any height, so the leaves brush against arms & legs. Face too if yer real lucky.

Nope. Opposite actually. The more you get it the worse the reaction becomes.

Exactly. Same thing happened to me. The rash is an immune response. Pretty common to develop sensitization with repeated exposures.

6 mile was incredibly dry on Sunday. Anyone been there today to confirm how bad the rain set in? Maybe on the Canal road side the rain may have been good for the trails by Wednesday?

Then it's not poison sumac. The oil is all the same between them.

ivy oils are concentrated on the roots, sumac the leaves and fruits
I can hug an ivy bush but if I accidentally pull the roots, I'll need shots pronto

6 mile was incredibly dry on Sunday. Anyone been there today to confirm how bad the rain set in? Maybe on the Canal road side the rain may have been good for the trails by Wednesday?
check the conditions, it was below 2 this afternoon, no ride if it were me

IVYBLOCK.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions