Singlespeed-A-Palooza 2017

Heal up quick, @UtahJoe - sending good thoughts your way!! It took me a few minutes to register that was you when I went by, and then the guy behind me told me that we should keep rolling and just make sure the next person we saw knew about it, but they were already all over it.

The course markings were unfortunate at the end of the race, but honestly I enjoyed the stuff we rode that was off-course just as much as the stuff before it. It was all good and I was happy just to ride without pain. And I got to ride with a few folks from the board throughout the day, so that was a nice bonus!
We had a nice pace going. If I had seen an Mtbnj member with @UtahJoe I would have continued on but I didn't so that was that.

Hey everyone... Im mostly ok, broken left arm, but not bad break thankfully... I was in second and we hit camp... I turned speed to 11 to close the gap Matt Green had built up on major Mike... The ledge jump on camp, I just launched it and overshot the landing, flatlanded, lost my pedals and couldn't make the hard right after. I think I rolled to the right and missed the tree but hard to remember...

Very big thank you to Ross Anderson, will crissmsn, @Chris26er @David Taylor probably other I don't remember who threw away their races to help me...

Oh well shit happens...
Wow, that really sucks. My wife and I just finished Netflix'ing Breaking Bad (I live in the past) - poor Jessie ended up looking like that a few times. Heal up.

So surprised to hear, dark horse and company have always laid out well marked course. Hell Rave tought me to mark the course for the blind.

Utah very dishearten to see you in such a state. I'm sure moto crashes were uglier but damn son your one ugly Frankenstein.

Speedy recovery to you, you'll be back at it before you know it! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'd like to think I got 2nd but the last 5-6 miles of that course was a shit show. Reality is I think I was 4-5th before I went off.

I'm disgusted. After 80+ races I've done this was the only time I went off course. Really horrible job marking.

Heal up Utah.
Thanks for getting my car home @pooriggy

I was so out of it, I only really remember will, @Chris26er @David Taylor Ross and will talking with me... I honestly don't know if I got knocked out or not....I do remember people passing and saying "holy shit' so I figured I looked bad. @MissJR Glenn Steve all of that helped me get out of there and my stuff home safe... Big thank you! As I said to the guys helping me... We have some great humans in this sport and that's one of the reasons I love it

On a lighter note... They wheel into the hospital and there is a young girl standing there with her mom.... Scene right out of aliens... Grabs her "close your eyes baby" lol

Bob cried when he saw me, but after a while he just said I look like a pirate

My glasses cut my eye pretty good, 20 stitches in 5 different spots

Attachments

• 20170521_170735.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
Utah feel better soon man and please do not scare any more kids ! Take care buddy! Let us know if you need any help from your pals at BlackBear. You do not look bad, you should be good to go for the BearScat.

We had a nice pace going. If I had seen an Mtbnj member with @UtahJoe I would have continued on but I didn't so that was that.

It was great riding with you. I was wondering where you went but kind of figured you'd stopped with Utah after a few. That was a really decent thing to do - you, Ross and the other guy (didn't see who that was) should get rider of the day award.

Edit: Just saw Utah's post -- I guess it was Will that I saw with them. @Chris26er must have come right behind, because I remember he was fixing his chain when we passed him. So add both of those guys to rider of the day as well!

Plug pulled, from Facebook:

28 years ago, I took my first drive through Stewart State Forest as a race promoter, and this morning I took my final drive through on those same roads. What a great run it has been. We made so many great friends, and looking back on photos from those 28 years, gave countless thousands of people some very fond memories.
It was never about the money for us, but rather for the love of the sport, and an even larger love for one hell of a party afterwards. Our main focus was to make sure anyone who attended went home feeling like they couldn't wait for next year...and by all the positive comments we received over the years, we succeeded admirably.
I don't have enough time to thank all the volunteers who gave up their Sundays to make the races succeed, or the same folks we saw year after year who became friends and supporters.
Bureaucratic bullshit, overuse, abuse, illegal trail building, and bickering among the user groups has escalated over the years to the point it is almost impossible to get anything done that meet our standards.
We knew going into this year's SSAP that it would be the last, and it became a bittersweet event for us with many mixed emotions because we loved, and I mean loved hosting it.
The purpose of this message is not to praise our efforts, but to praise everyone who believed in us, and our efforts to bring you the best event that we possibly could.
On that note, I toast each and everyone of the thousands of people who enriched our lives, and can only hope we leave you with the same feelings! Adios..."The Mayor"

https://www.facebook.com/Singlespeed-a-Palooza-572159442919892/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Hey everyone... Im mostly ok, broken left arm, but not bad break thankfully... I was in second and we hit camp... I turned speed to 11 to close the gap Matt Green had built up on major Mike... The ledge jump on camp, I just launched it and overshot the landing, flatlanded, lost my pedals and couldn't make the hard right after. I think I rolled to the right and missed the tree but hard to remember...

Very big thank you to Ross Anderson, will crissmsn, @Chris26er @David Taylor probably other I don't remember who threw away their races to help me...

Oh well shit happens...

glad to hear you're recovering

28 years ago, I took my first drive through Stewart State Forest as a race promoter, and this morning I took my final drive through on those same roads. What a great run it has been. We made so many great friends, and looking back on photos from those 28 years, gave countless thousands of people some very fond memories.
It was never about the money for us, but rather for the love of the sport, and an even larger love for one hell of a party afterwards. Our main focus was to make sure anyone who attended went home feeling like they couldn't wait for next year...and by all the positive comments we received over the years, we succeeded admirably.
I don't have enough time to thank all the volunteers who gave up their Sundays to make the races succeed, or the same folks we saw year after year who became friends and supporters.
Bureaucratic bullshit, overuse, abuse, illegal trail building, and bickering among the user groups has escalated over the years to the point it is almost impossible to get anything done that meet our standards.
We knew going into this year's SSAP that it would be the last, and it became a bittersweet event for us with many mixed emotions because we loved, and I mean loved hosting it.
The purpose of this message is not to praise our efforts, but to praise everyone who believed in us, and our efforts to bring you the best event that we possibly could.
On that note, I toast each and everyone of the thousands of people who enriched our lives, and can only hope we leave you with the same feelings! Adios..."The Mayor"

https://www.facebook.com/Singlespeed-a-Palooza-572159442919892/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Damn, that sucks. I've been going to this event for like 8 years and I've never even raced it. I thought things were looking hopeful with him trying to bring back the DH40.
Poop.
I felt bad calling it a clusterfuck, I mean it's the first error in a long time. Everyone after the race seemed to calm down after getting a belly full of sammiches and it was a great time.

I was pretty annoyed at how badly things went, my brain blew up when I found out nobody road the course this morning. At such a multi-use park I would assume that's a given. No way there wouldn't be some asshole in there removing arrows.

As someone who hates mtb racing, I really enjoyed the race and would do it again, and my thoughts before the announcement was that that realistically next year would be better as they'd learn from those mistakes.

Hopefully something fills the vacuum. That race is a nice niche.

I'm not too surprised given his reasons - I have never promoted a race, but I imagine the bureaucratic crap involved has to make it a tough experience. Still, though, I'll miss this race. I know there were some problems this year with the course markings, but it was still a fun day.

I think I'm reaching the point (or have probably long-since reached it) where I'm the old man sitting on the porch watching the world change when it comes to racing in the mid-Atlantic. I've seen a lot of races come and go now over the years ... some that used to be huge "back in the day" but hardly anyone who lines up today would have even heard of. Races like the Fairmount Classic, or the original Granogue races, or the old 24 Hours of Allamuchy or the 20-mile off-road TT they did there in the early 00's. DH-40 has been gone a while, and now SSAP. Iron Cross is probably never going to happen again as a race. But some others have grown in their place to become icons in their own right -- The Stewart 45 is a great event and now probably my last connection to racing in Stewart. Something Wicked has become a can't-miss end of the year race/party. And it's not my cup of tea, but Enduro racing has created its own scene altogether int his part of the country now. I'm sorry to see SSAP end, but I think there will be others -- it's just someone else's turn to take the reins now that "The Mayor" is ready for a break.

On a somewhat related note, I think the thing that strikes me more than the races that are no longer around are the racers I don't see anymore: this is the real :eek:ld man" shit, I guess. I've met a ton of people over the years through this sport and every now and then I realize that I haven't seen or heard from someone I knew from this community in a really long time -- life gets in the way, interest wanes, other things happen, and they just walk away. One of my closest friends post-college was a guy I used to ride with several times a week. He started his own business and couldn't ride as much and just couldn't stand that he couldn't be competitive anymore, so he quit riding and started running because he could fit runs in easily after work. Now, he's an ultra-marathoner and actually gave up the business he started because it was interfering with his event schedule. Things change, I guess. I saw a picture a while ago my then -GF (now wife) took from a starting line for a MASS race back in 2002 - I think it was the GCC race. Almost everyone on that line has since quit riding altogether for whatever reason. Of the people on the line, I've only seen one other guy besides me at any race I've done in the past few years. I don't really have a point in saying that, but it is interesting -- I think I'd still consider all those folks "riding friends" if I saw them now, and many have probably not ridden a bike in 10 or 15 years.

Just throwing this out there, but I had a hugely positive experience with the other big user group there on Thursday. The dog people.
I was riding down ridge road with my dog and a truck was coming, he pulled over to the side and fully stopped. He leaned out and said, "two more trucks behind me" and only after I passed did he start moving. A few minutes later, a 2nd truck did the exact same thing. Pulled over and completely stopped. A few minutes later, saw the 3rd truck and he did the same. I presume it's because they saw my dog and they are dog people but I thought it was REALLY nice of them to fully stop. Has really nothing to do with this thread but I wanted to share my experience about the other users out there.

I'm really bummed to hear SSaP is done. I hope it's not because of the bitching about marking.
I can let yesterday go, I was frustrated but I'm over it. I'm more upset to hear Dark Horse is pulling out of SSaP. We need awesome events like this to continue. It brought hard core racers and folks who just enjoy the challenge of riding a SS for 26 miles together.
I really hope this is not the end but if it is thank you Dark Horse for the awesomeness that SSaP was for so many years.

Near the end of the race at as we hit Ridge Rd me and 4 other guys got stuck behind 3 trucks. The back two stopped and blocked the left side of the road, first one blocked the right side so we couldn't get through. Had to walk through them entirely blocking the road, and then sprint to the finish.

So yeah, there's that...

I think I'm reaching the point (or have probably long-since reached it) where I'm the old man sitting on the porch watching the world change when it comes to racing in the mid-Atlantic. I've seen a lot of races come and go now over the years ... some that used to be huge "back in the day" but hardly anyone who lines up today would have even heard of.

Yeah, I hear ya and I feel the same way a bit. I am a bit more concerned about the state of affairs with MTB racing because I see fewer and fewer new promoters getting involved. More often the new promoters want to jump into cross races, so we are losing some steam in that regard. Couple that with my personal opinion that NICA is actually breeding future cross racers and I am not sure how well the scene survives. In the last 6 months we have seen Tymor/909 disappear, then Mountain Creek, now the Darkhorse event(s). We don't have the same number coming up to replace these.

With the advent of these one-off clothing companies people spin up teams of 4-5 guys that are just friends these days. You lose the whole concept of there being bigger teams anymore. Since we have started our venture we have seen Bulldog & Black Bear both go from huge teams to shells of their former selves. Dark Horse also has gone from a big team to a smaller team. As the teams get smaller they cannot support races anymore. We're a pretty sizable team still and I feel like we even struggle to get volunteer numbers on race day.

IDK what it all means.

I miss one SSaP in 7 years and this is what happens??? Can't leave you guys alone for a minute.
This is upsetting because I have seen so many staples in my life end. So many fond memories in my short MTB life.

SSAP is dead but It's ghost lives on and on
The Mayor was an outlaw, that’s for sure
More of an outlaw than will ever know
SSaP is gone but It's spirit’s livin’ on and on

Back
Top Bottom