Singlespeed-A-Palooza 2017

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Newsflash...I didn't win.
I went off course somewhere after 46 ford climb. Maybe those gravel humps, I went straight and did the ant hill, which i know is not in the course, I think I was supposed to go right at gravel humps.

Anyway I met up with Matt Green at that point. We popped out onto road down where we usually have the pit for Stewart 45. From there we just rode up the hill to start finish.

It was my personal best at SSaP yesterday, I made all the climbs and can say I was sitting in a top 10...but I went of course and missed the last few miles so I'm a DQ.

I still love Stewart, it is so damn fun on a SS.
IMO they should give the money to 6er, Ross Anderson, Dave Taylor and Crissman for making sure Utah got out safely...and give Utah the carving, he really appreciates Cima's work and wanted to win that thing in the worst way.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went off course somewhere after 46 ford climb. Maybe those gravel humps, I went straight and did the ant hill, which i know is not in the course, I think I was supposed to go right at gravel humps.

Anyway I met up with Matt Green at that point. We popped out onto road down where we usually have the pit for Stewart 45. From there we just rode up the hill to start finish.

It was my personal best at SSaP yesterday, I made all the climbs and can say I was sitting in a top 10...but I went of course and missed the last few miles so I'm a DQ.

IMO they should give the money to 6er, Ross Anderson, Dave Taylor and Crissman for making sure Utah got out safely...and give Utah the carving, he really appreciates Cima's work and wanted to win that thing in the worst way.
Nice work Chris and great sportsmanship.. It's a shame that it didn't pan out for you on this one. You are havin a hell of a year.. Keep up the good work.

PS: With Utah's crash face you don't look so bad now...

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do

It was a shit show but we all made it out alive(barely @UtahJoe ). I had fun hammering it out after we helped Joe. Ross, Chris,a guy from Ct and I finished it out. Conditions really were pretty perfect on 90% of the course . FS ss is perfect there as well. I felt so much more flow than riding a hard tail like last year.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It was a shit show but we all made it out alive(barely @UtahJoe ). I had fun hammering it out after we helped Joe. Ross, Chris,a guy from Ct and I finished it out. Conditions really were pretty perfect on 90% of the course . FS ss is perfect there as well. I felt so much more flow than riding a hard tail like last year.
Rigid is fun and all, but damn FS was awesome at a race this long. Railed the DH's and caught up to/passed some folks on Mike's. I remember my upper body being shot last year by the end of the race.

goodvibe

Plug pulled, from Facebook:

28 years ago, I took my first drive through Stewart State Forest as a race promoter, and this morning I took my final drive through on those same roads. What a great run it has been. We made so many great friends, and looking back on photos from those 28 years, gave countless thousands of people some very fond memories.
It was never about the money for us, but rather for the love of the sport, and an even larger love for one hell of a party afterwards. Our main focus was to make sure anyone who attended went home feeling like they couldn't wait for next year...and by all the positive comments we received over the years, we succeeded admirably.
I don't have enough time to thank all the volunteers who gave up their Sundays to make the races succeed, or the same folks we saw year after year who became friends and supporters.
Bureaucratic bullshit, overuse, abuse, illegal trail building, and bickering among the user groups has escalated over the years to the point it is almost impossible to get anything done that meet our standards.
We knew going into this year's SSAP that it would be the last, and it became a bittersweet event for us with many mixed emotions because we loved, and I mean loved hosting it.
The purpose of this message is not to praise our efforts, but to praise everyone who believed in us, and our efforts to bring you the best event that we possibly could.
On that note, I toast each and everyone of the thousands of people who enriched our lives, and can only hope we leave you with the same feelings! Adios..."The Mayor"

https://www.facebook.com/Singlespeed-a-Palooza-572159442919892/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf
This is quite a bummer. This was my first one and I had a blast. I was hoping that there would be more.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Obviously I wasn't around to see what happened with people going off course, but judging by the strava fly looks like many people missed the right hander from Orlando back into pine root... I know the course/park so at speed I'm not looking for arrows.. Im just going along... Up to camp where I died I didn't notice any issues... Really bummed to hear that there were later on.... Funny as I layed in the trauma room I kept asking for the time and thinking.. Man the are going to be doing podiums soon... Can I get the F out of here and head back now for the party? I understand that Rob price went home with the trophy? Which would make sense as he was right in the lead group with us when I crashed... But I obviously have no idea what happened.
I have done every race George, maddawg and rave have put on in the past 9 years... I absolutely love the product they put out and I feel they have the gold standard for races I want to be at. Fun, great food, great prizes, course, vibe... The little things that as a race promoter I appreciate bc I know they take time and effort to put together.

I was super bummed that I crashed myself out of what might be the last ssap ever. Moreso that it might be the last dark horse race ever. I can totally understand why after many years George would want to retire... These races are hard work that you are certainly not getting rich from....@norm made some great points... Volunteers are not always easy to find, arguments over park access, I totally understand getting burnt out on it...but 9 years of some awesome races I'll never forget.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree @UtahJoe
Hell it's what we took from their races to make ours. In fact George was instrumental on our first Stewarts race by lending mtbnj just about everything. Rave helped lay that course and marked it with me at last minutes notice.
SSAP was special to me and sad to see it go.

Sorry @Kirt but I never got lost at a dark horse event so I am not sure what your referring to, but then again I wasn't much more then a midpacker in sport for most.

Fran Atria

Damn, that sucks. I've been going to this event for like 8 years and I've never even raced it. I thought things were looking hopeful with him trying to bring back the DH40.
Poop.
I felt bad calling it a clusterfuck, I mean it's the first error in a long time. Everyone after the race seemed to calm down after getting a belly full of sammiches and it was a great time.

You nailed it; "first error in a long time." By account of so many who know The Mayor, and the sort of events he has put on over time, the races are typically nothing short of excellent. I have volunteered in past and this was the first time I actually raced SSAP. Believe me, the man stresses about the details and I truly believe there is something else factoring in to the trail marking matter but that's another story for another day.
I pedaled past Utah Joe as a group of riders were walking him out. I asked of they were ok and Utah Joe turned and made a joke about smashing his face into a rock. I was honestly frightened when I looked at him face to face (no offense). Typically a roadie, in my first off-road race, it rattled me no doubt. But I saw that he was in good hands and I knew emergency response units were in place.

So the race ended. I listened to some gripes back at the parking lot. But folks ate and drank and it seemed ok for the moment. Maybe not epic, but ok.
I'm not even sure what my point is here but I will say that the end of SSAP just plain sucks. I'm so glad I decided to race this year and disappointed I won't race it again.
I hate that a couple of guys were hurt and I wish them nothing but the best in their respective recoveries. As much as we all hate injuries, a major loss here is the end of SSAP.
Utah Joe hope you're feeling better real soon.

Top Bottom