Riding with music

JBL clip!!!! Good stuff!!! I went with the ENO but quickly found it was a branded pos. I happy with the clip. Mainly because its lack of distortion

i will never understand this either, fortunatley i havent run into it in the woods yet, but iv seen it on the road, its weird to me, but then i dont understand how some people think they can safely ride with earbuds in either, they block too much of the external sound which is critical in both riding locals IMO

Weezer ... Yes ... yes I would try to escape.

But that's funny you mention that -- I used to torture a buddy of mine who used to race with me by singing to him. I always chose weird sh*t, too -- like one year I sat on his wheel at Iron Hill I sang "Billy Lick a Lolly" from The Electric Company for an entire lap. He quit racing shortly after that, but I can neither confirm nor deny that those two facts are related.

Honestly, I prefer only the woods sounds on a ride, too, but I wouldn't begrudge someone their tunes if they really like that. I just wish it was music I like. Maybe before I ride from now on I'll tack a requested playlist up to a tree at the trailhead.

tinny music is bad music no matter what it is

To play devils advocate here the same people who find the need to lecture people about helmets I think would be the same people to lecture someone about using ear buds on the trails. As much as someone else may not like the tunes someone else is playing, it you let that ruin your ride then that's on you.

maxresdefault.jpg

I used to ride with an iPod Shuffle on every solo ride regardless if road or dirt. I enjoyed it. For what it is worth, I ride the road with a helmet mirror allowing me to see more although I may hear less. I do it less now as my music source is my phone and it isn't as convenient.

I did do a ride a few weeks ago with the music playing out of my phone while in my Camelbak. It was a long ride and i didnt have headphones. It didn't sound great but I enjoyed it. It wasn't that loud. At one point, I walked away from my pack on the ground and was surprised how quickly I couldn't hear it. So I doubt I would have disrupted anyone's day on the trails.

I think all this debate about what is acceptable is a bit silly. Everyone can do their own thing as long as it doesn't directly impact another. Those that have a problem with it are often just looking for things to be critical of.

For each that would be annoyed by music...there is another that will be annoyed by a squeaky chain, chain slap, or bear bell. We should all just be a little more accepting of each other and enjoy ourselves. However we wish.

If some rider is blaring the music from an amp to be heard throughout the woods, I understand the complaints. Otherwise, just keep riding and the annoyance will be over pretty quick.

I run with music all the time but only have ridden a few times, and just on the towpath. Mostly due to (perceived?) safety issue on a bike - woods and road.

I honestly do not have an issue except on the group rides as everyone has to be able to hear each other. I have come up on joggers in the woods and they could not hear me yelling to them but I could well hear their music coming out of the earbuds. like I said music on the road not in the trails for me.

I did a group ride where someone had tunes playing. It didn't bother me but I always wonder in a situation like that why when you're riding with 20 people, you'd feel the need to blast tunes. You're on a casual group ride in the woods. Talk to someone.

I personally don't do it because the voices in my head can't agree on what to listen to.

Last edited:
I also used to ride with a walkman (remember those) at first and then an IPod. All on the road both riding and training, group or not. Enjoyed it. Also had helmet speakers in my road motorcycle helmet. I do still XC Ski with the IPod most times. These days I'm a little more cautious on the road and also have my sweetie to talk to!
Ed

i like it when the course marshals at the beginning of enduro stages play music. but i also like when they offer everyone beer.

I thought it was natural desire to want to force your music upon others.

Yeah but they're not allowed to like it. As soon as other people start to like your weird band, they're no longer cool.

Hmm... maybe I should try listening to music on my rides.
But at this point, this noob can only hear my brain yelling at me.... WATCH OUT! OH SH1T!! WE'RE GONNA DIE!!

Back
Top Bottom