Riding with music

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
This past Saturday, I headed over to Six Mile for a ride to clear my head of the fact that I'd pussed out on Ramsey's Revenge because of "dead legs". Anyway, while I was riding, I noticed something that seemed kind of weird. I must have come across at least half a dozen folks who were riding with speakers on their bikes. I've seen these before, but I've never seen so many people with them at one time. Is this a growing thing? Personally I hope not, because, well, I really hated some of the music. One guy in particular was playing this really tinny-sounding techno music and then he made me ride way harder than I wanted to because he stayed on my wheel after I went by. Nothing against him and I may have seemed like a d-bag, but I had to try and shake him because I just really didn't like his music. I certainly wasn't goign to ask him to turn it off - I mean if he was enjoying it, then that's great - but for me, I just thought it was distractingly terrible so I had to run away. :D

Mountain Bike Mike

I've seen this... Came up on a group in Allaire last year who were listening to R&B. I personally enjoyed the music but not while I was riding my bike.... in the woods...

However - while I was pre-riding Ramsey's revenge, I had Weezer - Da Vinci stuck in my head. Would you try to escape me if I was singing that song the whole loop?

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have seen the speaker stuff at allaire it does seem a bit out of place in the woods. I will use earbuds on the road but nothing in the woods I like to hear who is coming up past me when I ride.

Tarroneus

When I got into running I asked a friend of mine what music he liked to listen to when he runs which is every day for 40 years, he said "real runners listen to their blood". Kind of applies.

It's a strange world where you can get shushed for crinkling a candy wrapper during the previews at a movie but nobody thinks twice about spoiling others' enjoyment of the outdoors.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I've seen this... Came up on a group in Allaire last year who were listening to R&B. I personally enjoyed the music but not while I was riding my bike.... in the woods...

However - while I was pre-riding Ramsey's revenge, I had Weezer - Da Vinci stuck in my head. Would you try to escape me if I was singing that song the whole loop?

Weezer ... Yes ... yes I would try to escape.

But that's funny you mention that -- I used to torture a buddy of mine who used to race with me by singing to him. I always chose weird sh*t, too -- like one year I sat on his wheel at Iron Hill I sang "Billy Lick a Lolly" from The Electric Company for an entire lap. He quit racing shortly after that, but I can neither confirm nor deny that those two facts are related.

Honestly, I prefer only the woods sounds on a ride, too, but I wouldn't begrudge someone their tunes if they really like that. I just wish it was music I like. Maybe before I ride from now on I'll tack a requested playlist up to a tree at the trailhead.

wonderturtle

I wear ear buds sometimes in the winter. but once the leaves come around you need your ears as much as your eyes to avoid head-ons.

the thought of using my iphone's speaker flashed through my brain a few weeks ago but I instantly realized its a douchy thing to make others endure my music while they are trying to enjoy the woods.

Last edited:

rlb

Personally I like to hear the sounds of biking/woods. At places like 6MR, CR, Allaire (where you're always running into people) I think it's pretty douchey to play music out loud. I also think it's douchey when people are on a train, walking down the sidewalk, etc. with music coming out of their phone.

On the other hand I've considered getting a speaker for road riding. So maybe someone else will consider me douchey for this.

The Kalmyk

I use a speaker on long road rides. I wouldn't play it if I was with others. I think it's being considerate. When I did ride my mountain bike I dont use anything.

Am I allowed to say that the sound of a slapping dérailleur is annoying:)?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I listen to music all winter long out on the trail... Cuz I'm the only one out there and nothing but the wind and my wheezing to listen to.... But with in helmet (snow board helmet) speakers... No external sound... Cuz Rule#1

rick81721

Lothar
I ran into a guy on the road riding with a big speaker - I was climbing Springhill road in the sourlands and it was so loud I just assumed it was a car behind me. When it didn't pass me I finally turned around and saw the guy on a bike. Fortunately he was slower than me and I dropped him on the climb.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
I have ridden with headphones and a speaker. I prefer speaker on the road for the sake of being able to hear more of my surroundings though I usually grab the headphones since I don't need to charge them.

I definitely understand your take on the MTB speaker which is why I usually avoid using mine in the woods.

But with all the Jazz around mountain bro's I understand why trail music is trending.

"gotta party on the trail, Brah."

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've noticed it more and more lately. No idea why it's become a fad. It's completely puzzling to me that someone thinks everyone on a group ride wants to listen to their crappy music. Even if it's good music I don't want to hear it coming from their cheap ebay bluetooth speakers.

Top Bottom