Rancocas State Park

That was a rogue trail. Yes the amount of effort that went into building all 3 rogue trails was pretty extensive. I was walking there last year, exploring that new blue trail and there was a civilian (I assumed since he wasn't wearing a uniform) going opposite direction pulling up the flags used to mark it. Said hello, but no eye contact or reply. Noticed the painted blazes on the trees was excessive, like every damn tree.

Got an email today that there is scheduled maintenance this coming Saturday in the Hainesport side of the park.

I don't really frequent this place but will occasionally pop in for a ride when I'm in the area and have time to kill. Sounds like there's going to be even less trail to ride now......

I don't really frequent this place but will occasionally pop in for a ride when I'm in the area and have time to kill. Sounds like there's going to be even less trail to ride now......
I don't frequent it for rides either. It's not really a ride destination, for me anyway. Just a place near work to lunch walk or get a ride in after work for race training. I usually change directions each lap.

I can only assume that the back and forth between the rogue builder and the park staff, ie excessive paint blazes/coverup paint blazes, close trail/reopen trail, rinse and repeat drew a lot of attention from the park staff.

This is a copy of the email I received. During my lunch walks, been seeing examples of everything mentioned.

Rancocas State Park
Trail Work Update​

No Trail Work This Coming Weekend​

We're taking a break this coming weekend from trail work. Look for an e-mail next week with details about our work session planned for March 23 in the Rancocas Woods section.

Rancocas State Park Volunteers Clearing the Westampton Paved Path

THANK YOU!​

Thank you to all the volunteers that have given their time over the past many weeks. To date, nearly 400 hours have been spent raking, moving brush, picking up trash, shoveling . . . and having fun! More work and fun to come on March 23 when we will be working in the Rancocas Woods section!

Rancocas State Park Updates​

BLAZING: Our Trail Stewards have been busy blazing the past couple of weeks! As you hike around the park you will start to see new blazes on the Red, White, Yellow and Blue trails. We've now begun removing the old blazes on the trails we've reblazed.
STAKING: We've begun installing Carsonite stakes at key places along the trails to help folks follow the trail as it bends and turns. As we install them, we are removing the painted 2x4s and other posts. The first of them have been installed in the Westampton section along the white trail.
TRAIL CLOSURES: All of the unauthorized user created trails in the Westampton and Hainesport (and we've started working in the Rancocas Woods section) sections of Rancocas State Park have been totally shutdown and mostly removed from view:
  • Purple
  • Blue
  • Fluorescent orange
  • Fluorescent green
  • Red
  • Black
Over the past few weeks, volunteers raked leaf litter and moved logs/branches/sticks/twigs into the path of the trails to totally obliterate them. In addition, our trail stewards removed gobs of flagging tape, obliterated the blazes on the trees and removed posts/markers at the ends of some of the trails. In a few weeks after some wind, rain, snow and sunshine, it will be very hard to tell where the trails were. At times when we were covering the trails, it was hard to tell where the trail was.
Please spread the word to your friends, family, social networks, staff and volunteers so the word gets out that these unauthorized user created trails are CLOSED and that they should not be used, unblocked or reopened.
Please note that the Blue Trail which begins near the Nature Center and the Orange Trail that begins along the same Blue Trail and heads down to the creek remain open for recreation.
Please let everyone know that all work – be it trimming along a trail, cutting down trees, painting blazes on trees or making a new trail – in the park must be approved in advance with the Rancocas State Park Superintendent at 609-726-1191.

Rancocas State Park White Trail (Westampton)

About Rancocas State Park​

The Rancocas Creek provides an idyllic setting to observe nature up close in this rustic park. Hikers, bicyclists, kayakers and joggers are welcome. A network of trails wanders through upland and lowland hardwood forest, leading hikers along the branches of the Rancocas Creek and extensive freshwater tidal marshes. The diversity of the landscape provides habitat for numerous species of birds and animals. Of particular note are the towering Beech and Tulip trees and groves of Holly. You can find more information about Rancocas State Park and other New Jersey state parks on our website at https://www.njparksandforests.org.

Back
Top Bottom