Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

Thanks to @huffster I got out to Green Turtle Pond this morning. I saw his ride and I wanted some dirt, instead of snow for a change.
The last time I was there was 1974 camping with my son. There are some great trails there, plenty to get lost on! I ventured out
cautiously, well prepared with my Garmin displaying my ride so I could backtrack, or at least see which way I was going. I got about
an hour in and the trail wasn't heading out to the East Shore Road like I wanted it to, it was just heading back to I don't know where.
So I figured I'd return on my route. Nice trails in this park, I stuck to the main one but could see lots of floey singletrack alongside me.
Even with my Garmin and following my breadcrumb trail back I made a wrong turn, but I could see I would work out OK. I also rode
some of the floey which joined up with the way I wanted to go. Once back at the parking area I decided to ride down to the pond.
A dirt road. At the bottom there is a trail/road that goes around the bottom of the pond and then up around the other side. I rode
this until it seemed to dead end. I could see down towards the pond that there was a single track running right along the pond, but
I didn't see a way to get to it. I wonder if that single track goes around the pond all the way. Well we'll leave that for another day.

Green T01.jpg

Green T02.jpg

thanks for the mud
Green T05.jpg

loose something?
Green T06.jpg

my garmin...ha ha
Green T07.jpg

huffster

Its a fun place. With nothing being marked and lots of criss-crossing trails it takes repetition to get to know your way around. I still find myself taking wrong turns, but it's taking me less and less time to "reset" as I gain familiarity. I met a guy the other day that seems to be one of the main builders. I may take a ride with him at some point.

The double track is still pretty wet, but the single-track is sweet right now. Not sure of the single track trail your mentioning by the lake, so I'll have to go check one of these days. There are a couple trails on the east side of the pond that do just go out and end.

I believe the helmet is intended to be a trail marker. If you follow that it will dump you right at the intersection of Awosting Rd and E Shore Rd. So, its a good exit, but not really a good turn if you are trying to find your way back to parking locations or trying to stay in the woods.

There are more trails on the other side of E Shore. I've gotten tangled up in that area before. And up by the entrance to Green Turtle you can cross over Awosting and there are even more trails that way. That whole area is just loaded with unofficial trails that need to be explored. I only have a limited knowledge of these so far.

Kaleidopete

So, I lost the cap for my brake adjuster (Avid BB7). I figured I could make one faster than ordering one.
I have a million old parts and gears. I found this nice brass gear, but the hole in the center is round. The
adjuster needs two sides flat [] like this. So I got a aluminum screw and hammered it flat, like this []. Put
it in the gear hole and heated the gear up and filled in the hole with solder. Pulled the screw out and it
was perfect. Filed down the solder a little and glued the adjuster cage to the new gear. Done, and it works great.
brake adju06.jpg

on the bike
brake adju08.jpg

Kaleidopete

I went and rode around at Mooch Madness today to have some fun and see friendly peeps and
finish up my BIYF event. I got just over three hours riding in before my tracker died (battery).
I wore myself out today, guess I got caught up in all the great efforts made by the racers.

In this photo it looks like Norm got a jump on everyone!
mooch04.jpg

now they're off!
mooch05.jpg

Who is that bearded man (he looks like a famous actor to me)
mooch08.jpg

Small guy's got lots of energy
mooch10.jpg

which way did they go
mooch14.jpg

some winners (endurance)
mooch15.jpg

the score board
mooch16.jpg

Kaleidopete

So I finished up the 2018 BIYF extended challenge yesterday at Mooch Maddness.
Originally it started just after Christmas and ran for twelve weeks. I did good in the
Mortal class and wound up finishing first place. There was also an Elite class and after
the twelve weeks we got lumped into one extended class for five more weeks. I wound
up in the final week with just me and Li Liong as the challengers. On the last day Li Liong
did an epic ride of 15+ hours saddle time and he became the winner. A great effort on his part!
This was Pats comment, Congrats Gentleman! What a great battle - pushing each other!
It was fitting that the battle of division winners met up in the final week.
Results are up, liong71er takes the tournament cup!

It was a fun challenge for me to ride with so many great riders, but I'm glad it's over.
It's coincidental that it ended on the anniversary date of my own personal challenge of riding
180 consecutive days in a row and not missing a day out. Maybe I'll see if I can keep it going and
make it a full year. But....a lot can happen in the next six months, ya never know,
and I ain't gettin' any younger!

pete02.jpg

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I finished up the 2018 BIYF extended challenge yesterday at Mooch Maddness.
Originally it started just after Christmas and ran for twelve weeks. I did good in the
Mortal class and wound up finishing first place. There was also an Elite class and after
the twelve weeks we got lumped into one extended class for five more weeks. I wound
up in the final week with just me and Li Liong as the challengers. On the last day Li Liong
did an epic ride of 15+ hours saddle time and he became the winner. A great effort on his part!
This was Pats comment, Congrats Gentleman! What a great battle - pushing each other!
It was fitting that the battle of division winners met up in the final week.
Results are up, liong71er takes the tournament cup!

It was a fun challenge for me to ride with so many great riders, but I'm glad it's over.
It's coincidental that it ended on the anniversary date of my own personal challenge of riding
180 consecutive days in a row and not missing a day out. Maybe I'll see if I can keep it going and
make it a full year. But....a lot can happen in the next six months, ya never know,
and I ain't gettin' any younger!

View attachment 67708
WOW, Just WOW..
Great job on all parts.. 180 days is fkn crazy, especially with this winter. My hats off to you. Go for the year!!!!!

Kaleidopete

I was out early. 6:50 AM and had a good ride, Old Wawayanda Rd was flooded because Beavers
clogged the dam. I pulled some branches out and the water started flowing again, but I think the
Beavers are more determined than me.
Towards the end of my ride some other bikers came up behind me, one said "thanks for the Garmin file"
He asked for it on MTBNJ and I posted it. Nice to see him using it. There were three other riders with him,
one female. I don't know them, but one other guy came back to me and introduced himself as Scott on
MTBNJ. It;s rare to see other riders out here, they were pre-riding the Iron Furnace race. Then it started
to rain and I got a little wet and I'm sure they got a lot wet, they still had a few miles to go.

some wet Bear tracks across the road, I guess I just missed it.
Bears prints1.jpg

Some swamp flowers
swamp54.jpg

swamp3.jpg

Kaleidopete

It was a beautiful ride today. A few weeks ago I cut the brush away from this large puddle on Wayway rd.
There is swamp on one side that overflows into this large puddle, and on the other side of said puddle is
more of the swamp. There is a strip between that I call the berm and I cut the brush and branches away
so it can be ridden. Today while riding, another rider came up behind me and said "passing on your left"
He also gave me a greeting of "how are you doing sir?". I said fine, I'm still peddling! As he rode ahead I saw
he used my berm, which gave me great satisfaction. Nice to see that it's useful. The cleared berm used to
look like the other side of the puddle. And that puddle is deep too! This won't be needed once the swamp recedes.

da burm06.jpg
da burm07.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

A great day today to celebrate Earth Day in Vernon NJ. I started out by parking along route 94 in Warwick, NY
and riding up Iron Mountain road into Wawayanda Park, which dead ends and becomes Iron Mountain trail.
You can ride right around the barrier and into the park. Then you make a left onto the beginning of William Hoeferlin
trail and over to the Old Wawayanda Road trail and then back down to Route 94. This is a nice four mile loop that
climbs 700 feet up for the first two miles and than back down 700 feet for the last two. From there I took the back
roads over to Heaven Hill farm for the Earth Day celebration. They were giving away flower seed packs that you just
drop on dirt and water and they grow flowers. They had bands and food and a presentation by NYNJTC and the
Appellation Trail group. The director of Wawayanda park was there along with the NJ Senator, the mayor of Vernon,
the NJ DEP director and many other officials, and me. Everyone liked seeing my Fat Bike and knowing that I rode there.
These are some great country roads for biking, with farms and streams and mountains. I bought a nice pink plastic pig
watering can for my wife. I had free coffee and cake and the hit the road again. All in all a great morning and about a thirteen mile ride.

wild flowers along Wawayanda trail
Earth day01.jpg

NJ DEP director
Earth day04.jpg

the whole group
Earth day05.jpg

Cow and part of my pig on my bike rack
Earth day10.jpg

Mommy cow and the baby
Earth day12.jpg

Kaleidopete

I had another great ride today, I wore my mud gators and found out I didn't need 'em.
Not too muddy at all. I got one more tree out of the way. Saw Ms Turtle getting some sun,
and spotted the Bobcat prowling for food. Started out at 38° and finished at 56°.

W Hoeg pine07.jpg

W Hoeg pine08.jpg

paint turt06.jpg

cat78.jpg

cat79.jpg

Top Bottom